see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Elizabeth Matthis
Dear UX Community,

Please check out my last GullFOSS blog post here
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin

and I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.

Some of you already know that I've decided to change careers and that I
will no longer be involved as much in OOo. I am still going to be
around, but not sure yet in what capacity. I will actively stay with the
OOo marketing project at first, so I'll be available to be reached under
[hidden email] if you need to reach me, but I won't follow the UX
list anymore.

I have totally enjoyed working with the OOo community over the last 10+
years and cannot really imagine leaving for good. Please don't think my
resignation has anything to do with the Sun/Oracle thing. It doesn't at
all. In fact they were shocked and dismayed that I decided to resign and
move on, but hey, I'm middle-aged and itching to use other talents and
this opportunity came out of the blue and is just too right to pass up.
[How'd ya like that run-on sentence! :-) ]

So now, what will I be doing? Well, I actually studied to be a teacher
(among other things...I studied a long time) and now I've got a position
at a private school which teaches in English here in Germany. A very
unusual thing. My son will attend the school as well, so it really just
fits so nicely. Education is mainly about communication, so I'll be
happy using my OS skills in that setting. Shouldn't education be OS,
too? ;-) The wheels are already turning, folks!

All the best to the UX community and for Project Renaissance. I will be
watching!

Kind regards always,

Re: see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Ivan M
Hi Liz,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Elizabeth Matthis
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear UX Community,
>
> Please check out my last GullFOSS blog post here
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin
>
> and I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.
>
> Some of you already know that I've decided to change careers and that I will
> no longer be involved as much in OOo. I am still going to be around, but not
> sure yet in what capacity. I will actively stay with the OOo marketing
> project at first, so I'll be available to be reached under
> [hidden email] if you need to reach me, but I won't follow the UX list
> anymore.
>
> I have totally enjoyed working with the OOo community over the last 10+
> years and cannot really imagine leaving for good. Please don't think my
> resignation has anything to do with the Sun/Oracle thing. It doesn't at all.
> In fact they were shocked and dismayed that I decided to resign and move on,
> but hey, I'm middle-aged and itching to use other talents and this
> opportunity came out of the blue and is just too right to pass up. [How'd ya
> like that run-on sentence! :-) ]
>
> So now, what will I be doing? Well, I actually studied to be a teacher
> (among other things...I studied a long time) and now I've got a position at
> a private school which teaches in English here in Germany. A very unusual
> thing. My son will attend the school as well, so it really just fits so
> nicely. Education is mainly about communication, so I'll be happy using my
> OS skills in that setting. Shouldn't education be OS, too? ;-) The wheels
> are already turning, folks!
>
> All the best to the UX community and for Project Renaissance. I will be
> watching!

Congratulations on your new position! It was a pleasure to have the
opportunity to work with you as a part of UX. Your bright and
enthusiastic blog posts will be missed, as will, of course, your good
self. Best wishes for the future and hopefully we'll see you on the
marketing list!

Regards,
Ivan.

Re: see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Liz,

thank you for everything you did in the community in general ... and
especially for the million little things you've did to enlighten,
motivate, engage, support and guide people in so many different
situations.

At all, "you" are a very good reason to stay on the marketing list ;-)

See you (literally),
Christoph

PS: Sniff.

Am Mittwoch, den 23.06.2010, 23:28 +1200 schrieb Ivan M:

> Hi Liz,
>
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:53 PM, Elizabeth Matthis
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Dear UX Community,
> >
> > Please check out my last GullFOSS blog post here
> > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin
> >
> > and I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.
> >
> > Some of you already know that I've decided to change careers and that I will
> > no longer be involved as much in OOo. I am still going to be around, but not
> > sure yet in what capacity. I will actively stay with the OOo marketing
> > project at first, so I'll be available to be reached under
> > [hidden email] if you need to reach me, but I won't follow the UX list
> > anymore.
> >
> > I have totally enjoyed working with the OOo community over the last 10+
> > years and cannot really imagine leaving for good. Please don't think my
> > resignation has anything to do with the Sun/Oracle thing. It doesn't at all.
> > In fact they were shocked and dismayed that I decided to resign and move on,
> > but hey, I'm middle-aged and itching to use other talents and this
> > opportunity came out of the blue and is just too right to pass up. [How'd ya
> > like that run-on sentence! :-) ]
> >
> > So now, what will I be doing? Well, I actually studied to be a teacher
> > (among other things...I studied a long time) and now I've got a position at
> > a private school which teaches in English here in Germany. A very unusual
> > thing. My son will attend the school as well, so it really just fits so
> > nicely. Education is mainly about communication, so I'll be happy using my
> > OS skills in that setting. Shouldn't education be OS, too? ;-) The wheels
> > are already turning, folks!
> >
> > All the best to the UX community and for Project Renaissance. I will be
> > watching!
>
> Congratulations on your new position! It was a pleasure to have the
> opportunity to work with you as a part of UX. Your bright and
> enthusiastic blog posts will be missed, as will, of course, your good
> self. Best wishes for the future and hopefully we'll see you on the
> marketing list!
>
> Regards,
> Ivan.

Re: see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Bernhard Dippold-2
Hi Liz,

> Dear UX Community,
>
> [...] I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.
>
> Some of you already know that I've decided to change careers and that
> I will no longer be involved as much in OOo. [...]
I feel really sad to see you leaving. But I'm happy at the same time to
know that you got one of the rare chances - and you made use of it!

What you did for UX and the entire OOo community is not only measurable
in contributions, blogs and mails. Everybody who had the chance to meet
you will agree: Your reliability, your dedication for OpenOffice.org and
your feeling for the humans at your table as well as behind the mailing
list postings has been extraordinary and did a very good job towards
integration of Sun/Oracle employed and volunteer community members.

With your commitment the distance between these two groups in our
community became smaller - I can't thank you enough for what you have
done for OpenOffice.org.

And it's great that you want to stay with us in OOo marketing (at least
until you see, that your new job and your family need this time too) -
I'm looking forward to interesting discussions and decisions...

Best regards

Bernhard

Re: see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Ivan, Bernhard, Christoph, Jaron et al,

Thanks for the wonderful responses! I'm handing in my Sun Ray
workstation tomorrow, so that is the end of my sun.com account and my
participation on the UX lists. :-( I am sad, but I'll get over it
soon...like as soon as I hit the beach where I'll spend the month of
July before starting my new job. ;-) Ah, yes. Parting is such sweet
sorrow. See you in marketing!

On 06/23/10 23:54, Bernhard Dippold wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
>> Dear UX Community,
>>
>> [...] I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.
>>
>> Some of you already know that I've decided to change careers and that
>> I will no longer be involved as much in OOo. [...]
> I feel really sad to see you leaving. But I'm happy at the same time
> to know that you got one of the rare chances - and you made use of it!
>
> What you did for UX and the entire OOo community is not only
> measurable in contributions, blogs and mails. Everybody who had the
> chance to meet you will agree: Your reliability, your dedication for
> OpenOffice.org and your feeling for the humans at your table as well
> as behind the mailing list postings has been extraordinary and did a
> very good job towards integration of Sun/Oracle employed and volunteer
> community members.
>
> With your commitment the distance between these two groups in our
> community became smaller - I can't thank you enough for what you have
> done for OpenOffice.org.
>
> And it's great that you want to stay with us in OOo marketing (at
> least until you see, that your new job and your family need this time
> too) - I'm looking forward to interesting discussions and decisions...
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard

Re: see my blog post, plus my farewell here

Cor Nouws
Hi Liz,

Elizabeth Matthis wrote (23-06-10 11:53)

> and I do mean last in the most final sense of the word.
> [...]

( If I wait a little longer with my replay, you might already have
returned to the project as full time contributor ;-) )

Many thanks for having you here, look forward meeting you again & all
the best with family & work!

Cor

--
  >> Your office 2010 software: the new OpenOffice.org <<

Cor Nouws
   - ideas/remarks for the community council?
   - http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Community_Council