"planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

"planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Everyone,

I've got good news! Sun IT here in Hamburg says they will provide a
planet for the OOo community to FINALLY have its own blog location like
other open source projects. This is the latest result of my (and
Christian Jansen's) attempts to get the UX team a better blog as well as
the idea collection tool we have talked about on this list for so long.
It isn't exactly the solution we were looking for in the beginning, but
may just do the trick, and it is certainly a good place to start, one
way or the other.

No more looking all over the web for OOo-bloggers, now they can all come
together in one place...the place where it all began:
www.openoffice.org. That of course includes our UX blog and is planned
to be the place where we finally have our idea collection established. Phew!

It's not IdeaTorrent, but at least we can collect our Renaissance ideas
in blog format and comment on them, like Gimp Brainstorm, for example.
Have a look at it: http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/
I hope the planet for OOo will be the start of a much more visible and
vocal UX team. As soon as it is up and running, they'll be looking for
people to help configure and adapt it to our/community needs. Any
takers? (Ivan, I'm looking at you, of course, but not only ;-) ).

Have a great day everyone!

Re: "planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Ivan M
Hi Liz, all,

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 4:10 AM, Elizabeth Matthis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I've got good news! Sun IT here in Hamburg says they will provide a planet
> for the OOo community to FINALLY have its own blog location like other open
> source projects. This is the latest result of my (and Christian Jansen's)
> attempts to get the UX team a better blog as well as the idea collection
> tool we have talked about on this list for so long. It isn't exactly the
> solution we were looking for in the beginning, but may just do the trick,
> and it is certainly a good place to start, one way or the other.

That's great news! Thank you (and Christian Jansen as well) for
persisting with this :)

> No more looking all over the web for OOo-bloggers, now they can all come
> together in one place...the place where it all began: www.openoffice.org.
> That of course includes our UX blog and is planned to be the place where we
> finally have our idea collection established. Phew!

One question: there is there a plan to migrate the contents of
existing blogs to the new blogs service, correct?

> It's not IdeaTorrent, but at least we can collect our Renaissance ideas in
> blog format and comment on them, like Gimp Brainstorm, for example. Have a
> look at it: http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/
> I hope the planet for OOo will be the start of a much more visible and vocal
> UX team. As soon as it is up and running, they'll be looking for people to
> help configure and adapt it to our/community needs. Any takers? (Ivan, I'm
> looking at you, of course, but not only ;-) ).

When the service is just about ready to be configured/adapted, we can
make a blog post to the website-dev list asking for additional takers
- I'm happy to help out where I can, but the more people help out and
offer their expertise, the better the end result will be.

> Have a great day everyone!
You too!

Regards,
Ivan.

Re: "planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Elizabeth Matthis wrote
It's not IdeaTorrent, but at least we can collect our Renaissance ideas in blog format and comment on them, like Gimp Brainstorm, for example. Have a look at it: http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/
With all respect: I'm very disappointed, mainly because <http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/> and other examples of IdeaTorrent were *immediately* and *extremely* so impressive and intuitive.

I filed only one bug, <https://bugs.launchpad.net/ideatorrent/+bug/320801>.

We do have, already:

* collections of ideas
* presentable as per-topic RSS feeds et cetera
* alternatively, presentable as (higher traffic) per-message RSS feeds
* comments and discussion
* discrete topics, embeddable at any path within openoffice.org or any other domain
* list archives, embeddable in the same way
* composites of multiple lists, embeddable in the same way.

Please, is it too late to consider introduction of IdeaTorrent?

(I confess, this is selfish; whilst I would *very* much enjoy using IdeaTorrent, I do not have time to install, configure or maintain Drupal.)

Is <http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/> simply a blog, with comments, or am I missing something?

With thanks,
Graham

Re: "planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Christoph Noack
Hi Liz, Graham, everyone!

Am Freitag, den 30.01.2009, 17:39 -0800 schrieb Graham Perrin:

> Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
> > It's not IdeaTorrent, but at least we can collect our Renaissance ideas in
> > blog format and comment on them, like Gimp Brainstorm [...]
>
> With all respect: I'm very disappointed, mainly because
> <http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/> and other examples of IdeaTorrent were
> *immediately* and *extremely* so impressive and intuitive. [...]
>
> We do have, already: [...many things Graham listed...]
> Please, is it too late to consider introduction of IdeaTorrent?

Maybe I can help out here, because the Sun part of the UX community and
I have been discussing this topic (Blog for Idea Handling) since April.
The general idea is to provide a platform for the UX team and external
contributors to share their thoughts - without using different tools.

So for UX topics, the main goals can be satisfied by a simple blog
system (as you asked in your last mail). Simple to maintain and
administer, stability is no real criteria (it does only matter for us),
easy to analyse (tags, comments, ...). And it's has been proven to work
well for another great OSS project (The Gimp).

And, a blog system would also allow us an own community planet - here at
OpenOffice.org. Something which is nearly impossible elsewhere, (short
and simplified): GullFOSS (Sun only), Planet Go-OO (UX unwanted), German
OOo association (German law...). This is the real benefit, I think.

Here, Sun provides us the resources like hardware and traffic - so they
finally have influence on what is installed. But, the real reasons for
choosing the version "blog only" are unknown to me. Maybe Liz or another
person from Sun can comment this ... I don't know.

>From our side, we have to provide the "human resources". This is far
easier for a blog than for IdeaTorrent, I think. Without this community
contributions, we could not even start. Example? The request by Andreas
for implementing ODF document statistics is still unheard. But that
effort could really improve our quality in decisions and discussions -
somehow ridiculous.

Finally, it would be great to have so many advantages by using
IdeaTorrent. Maybe this can be done when we clarify the constraints by
Sun and have two contributors who could support this project for at
least half a year. But, I'm also happy if we have something which
satisfies the UX project's basic needs...

> (I confess, this is selfish; whilst I would *very* much enjoy using
> IdeaTorrent, I do not have time to install, configure or maintain Drupal.)
>
> Is <http://gimp-brainstorm.blogspot.com/> simply a blog, with comments, or
> am I missing something?

And before I forget it: Thank you Liz, thank you Christian and everybody
involved!!!

Bye,

Re: "planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Christoph Noack wrote
… a blog system would also allow us an own community planet - here at OpenOffice.org. …

… "human resources". This is far easier for a blog than for IdeaTorrent, I think. Without this community contributions, we could not even start. …
Christoph (and Elizabeth and all): thanks, I agree that resourcing a blog may be easier.

If there's a reasonable consensus (not expecting 100% agreement) that an IdeaTorrent (within www.openoffice.org domain) is more appealing and useful than a blog, then might some of the resources that were earmarked for a blog be redirected towards IdeaTorrent?

>> discrete topics, embeddable at any path within openoffice.org or
>> any other domain

Two examples of topics, embedded, one of which includes graphics:
<http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/Members/gjp4/ooo/ux/20090102>
<http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/Members/gjp4/ooo/ux/20090129>

>>> … No more looking all over the web for …

+1 to finding things in one place

+1 to a suite of services/applications that is cohesive
   and is not too multi-faceted
   and is well hyperlinked
   and lends itself to a single unified search box
   … that combination may be wishing for *too much* ;)

Best,
Graham

Re: "planet" will be installed for OOo bloggers

Graham Perrin
Administrator
(Sorry, something wrong with my cut and paste in the previous post. The corrected version is at Nabble.)