Ui idea

Mahela Munasinghe
Would it be suitable to make it possible to display and hide toolbars
via keystrokes/keyboard shortcuts? That would provide an easy way of
un-cluttering the workspace and thery by giving the software a cleaner
look while maintaining easy accesibility

Re: Ui idea

Vince42-3
Hi,

Mahela Munasinghe schrieb:
> Would it be suitable to make it possible to display and hide toolbars
> via keystrokes/keyboard shortcuts? That would provide an easy way of
> un-cluttering the workspace and thery by giving the software a cleaner
> look while maintaining easy accesibility

+1!

While this might sound a little bit weird to operate tool bars by keys,
I think that this basic handling would be great, like

   Ctrl+Alt+0 - enable/disable all tool bars (like "Show Desktop
                Shortcut")

   Ctrl+Alt+1 - enable Standard
   Ctrl+Alt+2 - ...
   Ctrl+Alt+3 - ...

and furthermore (I like this feature in M$ Office)

   Some+Short+Cut   Jump to tool bar xyz
                    (Ctrl+Shift+S jumps to the font combo in M$O)

Ah, I forgot to mention:

I know that you can jump to tool bars with F6 - but this abuse and
blocking for F6 for better purposes suxx and it jumps to useless
elements too - just my two cents. :))

--
Cheers,                        \\|//
Vince                          (o o)

                                   Ooo.
---------------------------.ooO----(  )-------------------------
                           (  )    (_/
                            \_)

Re: Ui idea

Philip Ganchev
On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 12:40 PM,  <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Mahela Munasinghe schrieb:
>> Would it be suitable to make it possible to display and hide toolbars
>> via keystrokes/keyboard shortcuts? That would provide an easy way of
>> un-cluttering the workspace and thery by giving the software a cleaner
>> look while maintaining easy accesibility

Hiding all the tool bars and the ruler would be useful. But most
people will not use a shortcut. It may be better to also have a
button, as in MacOS Finder or ROX Filer for example. In any case, this
may tie into the discussion about different views.

>   Ctrl+Alt+0 - enable/disable all tool bars (like "Show Desktop
>                Shortcut")

Ctrl+Alt+1, etc are reserved in Gnome for desktop-wide operations.