Survey Results Discussion

Jaron Kuppers
Happy New Year everyone,

I hope everyone had a nice holiday season.  I wanted to take a moment to
discuss some thoughts I had on the survey results.  Before I get too deep
into the survey, does anyone know if/when we could next change the survey
questions?

=== Summary of Demographics ===
Of the survey respondents it seems the majority use OOo for home use 66.37%
(FYI this value is ambiguous), are over a broad age range from 21-70, 87%,
and are primarily male, 78%.  The top 3 user countries are the US, Denmark
and Germany, which is important to keep in mind as I believe Germany and
Denmark are requiring their governments to adopt the open standard (please
correct me if I am wrong).  Later, I plan on determining usage by primary
language of the countries we have listed.

Around 60% or less of the respondents' companies use MSOffice; while this
question results in some ambiguous results (as I mention below) it is no
suprise that MSO is the majority.  Around 18% of the respondents' companies
use OOo. :-)  While more of our users are currently in small companies,
large companies represent the largest potential for new adopters of OOo.

Thinking ahead to the next stage of the project, we can already begin to
conceptualize some key Personas.
(Please keep in mind that for the some of the values I listed above I took
the percentage of actual respondents, ie the percentage of the percentage
that answered the question).

Do we have the raw data from each survey response?  I don't know what the
distribution rights are for the survey data but I would be interested in
further correlating question responses to get more meaningful results from
the data.  For example, we could correlate users' desired improvements
versus users' primary use enviroment (home, business etc...).

=== Some suggested changes ===
Q 17:
I believe we should add a response "This is my first time downloading OOo"

Q 18:
Since some respondents presumably have yet to have help problems with OOo, I
believe we should add a response "This is my first time downloading OOo" or
"I haven't needed to find help yet"

Q20-23:
The "No Answer" responses are particularly ambiguous.  It is difficult to
discern the value of the user responses for these questions because we
assume the user uses the program.  Here I believe we should add a choice "I
don't use any Writing/Spreadsheet/Presentation/Database program at all".  As
expected the "No Answer" responses for Q 23 are the highest as I believe we
can assume Base is our least used program.

Additionally, new users may be confused by their choices here.  Some may
respond that they primarily use the program they currently have installed,
and some may not answer the question at all.  It may also be prudent to add
"I am a new OOo user"

Q24-25:
I think we need to add Lotus Symphony to the lists of applications.

Q28-37:
These questions seem to primarily address corporate users only, however,
some respondents may have been indicating their universities' usage.  In Q4
we ask the users where they will be primarily using OOo.  111.9% responded,
implying that people selected more than one category.  66.37% indicated home
usage in Q4, yet in Qs28-37 around 50% gave no response.  I believe some of
the responses for Qs28-37 may currently be ambiguous.  Take for example Q30,
which asks "how many Office Suite users does your organization have?"; the
21% response for 1-10 users may be overstated as respondents may have been
indicating that they were the sole user (maybe at home), not that their
company/organization has only 1-10 users.  I plan on taking a closer look at
the results and I think it may be helpful to amend some of those questions
in later surveys, if possible.  If we have the raw data we may be able to
extract more relevant data.

Q30 does not have a "no answer" choice.  Could someone refresh my memory as
to how that question works.  Is there a default choice?

New Question idea:
We have many good questions regarding the user's company demographics but I
think we should also add a question that determines the respondants' job
responsibilities:
What type of position do you hold in your company?
1. Managerial
2. Secretarial/Office Staff
3. Workforce
4. Information Technologist
etc...
the answer choices could use some improvement, I just quickly typed some
examples.  If someone thinks this question is of merit, please move the
conversation to a new email thread.

Cheers,
Jaron

Re: Survey Results Discussion

Elizabeth Matthis
Happy new year, Jaron, and everyone else on the Gregorian calendar!
I agree with your observation that some of the questions/answers are
ambiguous, so I think it is great that you have suggested changes. I
think Frank Loehmann was in charge of this survey, so I'm sure he'll
respond as soon as he gets back from his holiday vacation.
Kind regards,
Liz

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 889

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer

Re: Survey Results Discussion

Frank Loehmann
Hi Jaron,

Thank you for your feedback! I am currently collecting all those
feedback regarding the OOo User Survey. I cannot change the running
survey, but since we have already more than enough responses, we have to
think about what questions still need an answer to proceed with project
Renaissance. I will send a second mail today with a call for questions
for a new survey replacing the OOo User Survey shortly. If we have the
new survey in place, we can work on a version 1.1 of the OOo User Survey.

Best regards,

Frank

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Frank Loehmann
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience StarOffice

OpenOffice.org User Experience Team
http://ux.openoffice.org

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,Sonnenallee 1,
D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten, Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer

Re: Survey Results Discussion

Frank Loehmann
Hi,

Just a pointer to our team blog: Andreas posted very helpful list of
questions yesterday:
http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2009/01/some-ideas-and-questions-on-how-to-look.html

Best regards,

Frank