Supporting Renaissance Project

Nandakumar Murugan
Hi Renaissance Team

            I am writing this mail to express my support to the project
renaissance and I will be happy to see the project successfully getting
completed and launched. I see some forums which are against the Renaissance
project and for me there argument don’t make sense.

Going through the materials about the project there are certain reasons why
I like this project. In the current OpenOffice products whenever the user
clicks on the menu items like “File”, “Edit” there is a drop down menu. I
see 2 problems in this approach.

·         First of all its plain texts. Instead if you put the Ribbon menus,
it will be nice to see Picture and Icons.

·         When a user clicks on Edit Menu all the current toolbars are
redundant, since he is going to select something from the Edit Menu. So by
having Ribbon menu, we can effectively utilize the redundant real estate to
show icons which user is going to select.

        For the above the reasons I like to see Open Office coming with
Ribbon based menu system and I excited to see the project Renaissance
getting released. Please acknowledge this mail so that I can be assured my
voice is heard.

                              -Nanda

Re: Supporting Renaissance Project

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Nanda,

Thank you for writing to this mailing list and voicing your opinion.
More below...

On 04/28/10 20:24, Nandakumar Murugan wrote:

> Hi Renaissance Team
>

>             I am writing this mail to express my support to the project
> renaissance and I will be happy to see the project successfully getting
> completed and launched. I see some forums which are against the Renaissance
> project and for me there argument don’t make sense.

All support for Project Renaissance is welcome, however...

> Going through the materials about the project there are certain reasons why
> I like this project. In the current OpenOffice products whenever the user
> clicks on the menu items like “File”, “Edit” there is a drop down menu. I
> see 2 problems in this approach.

please note that we do not intend to remove the current menus, but add
additional interaction possibilities.

> ·         First of all its plain texts. Instead if you put the Ribbon menus,
> it will be nice to see Picture and Icons.
>
> ·         When a user clicks on Edit Menu all the current toolbars are
> redundant, since he is going to select something from the Edit Menu. So by
> having Ribbon menu, we can effectively utilize the redundant real estate to
> show icons which user is going to select.

You might not have seen all the Renaissance material, so for a better
overview, take a look at these:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/7/78/Renaissance-status-2010-04-01.pdf
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance/FAQ

and keep reading the mailing lists for updates and discussion.

>         For the above the reasons I like to see Open Office coming with
> Ribbon based menu system and I excited to see the project Renaissance
> getting released. Please acknowledge this mail so that I can be assured my
> voice is heard.
>

>                               -Nanda

Remember, Renaissance is a long-term project, not just a "release", so
the improvements will come bit by bit. It is a bit old, but you might
still find  my blog post informative (plus the blog roll GullFOSS in
general:
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_ui_for_openoffice_org

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz