Ribbon?

Nelson Alvarez
Is it true that OOo is planning to implement a feature resembling Microsoft
Office 2007 ribbon? Can anyone give me a single sensible reason for cramping
my screen with unwanted buttons and reducing the height of the area
available to visualize my documents? GIMP has always made good use of the
space available to the sides of the computer screen by using detachable
panels, which is ideal for laptop screens, which are getting wider and
wider, and in all these years OOo never tried to imitate that. Why?

Thank goodness we have IBM Lotus Symphony, which is following the same
principle as GIMP. Those guys do know what they are doing.

--
Nelson Álvarez
56 - 9 - 412 16 00   Mobile
56 - 63 - 210 002    School
Home address: Corvi 7, 4041, Valdivia, Chile

Re: Ribbon?

Bernhard Dippold
Hi Nelson, *

Nelson Alvarez schrieb:
> Is it true that OOo is planning to implement a feature resembling Microsoft
> Office 2007 ribbon?

No - at least this is not the goal. Please have a look at the wiki for
more detailed info: http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance

> Can anyone give me a single sensible reason for cramping
> my screen with unwanted buttons and reducing the height of the area
> available to visualize my documents?

If you just want a single reason:
It's just a prototype - testing area for some specific questions. Nobody
said it would be implemented in this stage.

> GIMP has always made good use of the
> space available to the sides of the computer screen by using detachable
> panels, which is ideal for laptop screens, which are getting wider and
> wider, and in all these years OOo never tried to imitate that. Why?

You do know that OOo toolbars are (un-)dockable. Don't you?
Just move one of the present toolbars out of the toolbar area, resize it
and position it besides your document. (moving it back needs a double
click with <shift> pressed)

Why do you have the impression that future toolbars (however they might
be called) will lose such configuration freedom?

Best regards

Bernhard