Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Frank Loehmann
Hi,

Please find the July status presentation for project Renaissance here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/4/42/Renaissance-status-2009-07-30.odp

Feedback welcome!

Best regards,

Frank

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Frank Loehmann
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience StarOffice

OpenOffice.org User Experience Team
http://ux.openoffice.org

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH,Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Cor Nouws
Hi Frank,

Frank Loehmann wrote (30-7-2009 17:22)

> Please find the July status presentation for project Renaissance here:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/4/42/Renaissance-status-2009-07-30.odp

I am able to follow a part of the whole discussion, so give very little
comments. But I expect there are enough ideas and comments that you have
to try to get your head around :-)

What I would like to see in the next status presentation: the vision of
the team on working with styles and working with the key board.
I already made a remark about that earlier and know some others did as well.

Seeing all the massive attention for 'big' buttons, panels etc, I feel
more and more uncomfortable with the current development... But I hope
that is not necessary.
Even more need for switchable UI?

I do have a rough idea about working with styles versus direct
formatting. Maybe I can make a simple mock up this evening. But be
aware, will probably be the most ugly one you've ever seen ;-)

Best regards,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html

Re: Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Nicolas Pujol
Thank you for this informations.

You are right. We have to work on an easier style formating. I will try to
make a prototype asap.

What is the tool you use to do that ?

Thanks,

Nicolas

2009/8/11 Cor Nouws <[hidden email]>

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Loehmann wrote (30-7-2009 17:22)
>
>  Please find the July status presentation for project Renaissance here:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/4/42/Renaissance-status-2009-07-30.odp
>>

> I am able to follow a part of the whole discussion, so give very little
> comments. But I expect there are enough ideas and comments that you have to
> try to get your head around :-)
>
> What I would like to see in the next status presentation: the vision of the
> team on working with styles and working with the key board.
> I already made a remark about that earlier and know some others did as
> well.
>
> Seeing all the massive attention for 'big' buttons, panels etc, I feel more
> and more uncomfortable with the current development... But I hope that is
> not necessary.
> Even more need for switchable UI?
>
> I do have a rough idea about working with styles versus direct formatting.
> Maybe I can make a simple mock up this evening. But be aware, will probably
> be the most ugly one you've ever seen ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Cor
>
> --
> Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
> Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html
> Gevoel niet vrij te zijn? Zie www.nieuwsteversie.nl

Re: Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Mathias Michel
http://tools.services.openoffice.org/impressprototype/impressprototype.jnlp
2009/7/30 Frank Loehmann <[hidden email]>

> Hi,
>
> Please find the July status presentation for project Renaissance here:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/4/42/Renaissance-status-2009-07-30.odp
>
> Feedback welcome!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frank
>
> Hi
Many questions because I missed 3 months of attending here:
If this layout is chosen for Impress, does this mean it will also be in
writer, calc, etc or not ?
Since I missed some threads, is there a place where you explain why you
choose an horizontal layout for the prototype, since a majority cam with a
vertical one ?
I understand what motivated the prototyped layout, but I would love to see a
prototype with a real menu (for keyboarders like me), and a vertical sidebar
(for all the functions I need to discover).
I admit that on recent desktop monitors, the real estate is ok, while on my
1024x768 laptop, impress slides became quite small. Horizontal layout may be
acceptable if you can reduce the global height. Maybe the variant 3 of the
fixed label is a good compromise, but there is still room for improvement
and real estate optimization.
regards
Mathias M

Re: Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Mathias,

> Many questions because I missed 3 months of attending here:

I'm just back from being away a few weeks , too, so I'm just beginning
to go through all the messages.
> If this layout is chosen for Impress, does this mean it will also be in
> writer, calc, etc or not ?

Yes, the idea is to test the new concept on Impress and then have it
applied to all applications.
> Since I missed some threads, is there a place where you explain why you
> choose an horizontal layout for the prototype, since a majority cam with a
> vertical one ?

I'm not sure myself, since I've been away, but I hope there is. If not,
then I should like to see the rationale clarified somewhere on the
Renaissance wiki. Admittedly the work on the prototypes has kept the
people who could explain the rationale so busy that they may not have
done much in the way of documentation. Unfortunately it is difficult to
"do good things and talk about them", as the saying goes, when there are
only 24 hours in a day. ;-)
> I understand what motivated the prototyped layout, but I would love to see a
> prototype with a real menu (for keyboarders like me), and a vertical sidebar
> (for all the functions I need to discover).

Menus:
As far as I know, the classic menus will remain as they were. No change
of shortcut keys for keyboarders like you and all the rest of us. ;-)

Toolbars:
I think everyone will continue to be able to tear the bar(s) off and
place them wherever they want them, as befitting their screen and
preferences. This is how it is in OOo now and I don't see why we would
remove that lovely versatility.

> I admit that on recent desktop monitors, the real estate is ok, while on my
> 1024x768 laptop, impress slides became quite small. Horizontal layout may be
> acceptable if you can reduce the global height. Maybe the variant 3 of the
> fixed label is a good compromise, but there is still room for improvement
> and real estate optimization.
> regards
> Mathias M

Thanks for your suggestions. I know Frank has been working on
incorporating many suggestions and recommendations into the prototype
that will most likely be done at the end of this week. The protoyping
actually continued even after it was scheduled to end. Please keep your
eyes on the GullFOSS blog for the Renaissance posts. And of course, keep
testing the prototypes as they become available.

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Renaissance Status Presentation for July

Cor Nouws
Cor Nouws wrote (11-8-2009 12:31)

> I do have a rough idea about working with styles versus direct
> formatting. Maybe I can make a simple mock up this evening. But be
> aware, will probably be the most ugly one you've ever seen ;-)

As promised, only a bit later ;-)
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/UX/DesignProposal/Suggestion_for_Styles

I hope it can be of some help, give inspiration ..

Success and fun with all the hard real work,

Cor