Renaissance Prototyping Status and Feedback

Renaissance Prototyping Status and Feedback

Frank Loehmann
Hi,

I want to give you a short status update about Renaissance prototyping.
A more detailed update will follow in our monthly status update for
Project Renaissance taking place on Thursday next week.

Our goal for prototyping is to be able to test new designs with real
live tasks with normal users. We have created three different
prototypes, but we are focused on the latest, the 'FixedLabel' Toolbar
(Variant 1), one. (Does anybody has a better name for it?) The
'Scrolling Toolbars' and "Tabbed Toolbar' Prototypes are depreciated and
will not be further improved.

We are working on a mid fidelity prototype so that we do not really care
about the look of the prototype. So please do not comment on the buttons
or the cheesy placeholder to zoom in or out. It is just a placeholder
and is subject to change. We just want to be able to test the interaction.

Prototyping phase ends on Friday next week, so there is only one week
left to improve the prototype. we have to ensure that we are able to do
the ux tests with the 'final' prototype. This means a lot of work load.
Due to this we will not comment on Feedback regularly. We do read your
feedback and discuss it within the prototyping team. We will continue to
publish the prototype on a daily basis and will give short status
updates in our daily mini-minutes on our prototyping home page [1].

Thank you for the feedback and stay tuned!

Best regards,

Frank

[1] Prototyping home:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Prototyping
Andreas about prototyping:
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/what_s_on_vogue_in

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Frank Loehmann
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience StarOffice

OpenOffice.org User Experience Team
http://ux.openoffice.org

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH,Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Renaissance Prototyping Status and Feedback

Andreas Schuderer
Hi Frank.

Am 17. Jul 2009 um 10:40 schrieb Frank Loehmann:
> Our goal for prototyping is to be able to test new designs with real
> live tasks with normal users. We have created three different
> prototypes, but we are focused on the latest, the 'FixedLabel'
> Toolbar (Variant 1), one. (Does anybody has a better name for it?)
> The 'Scrolling Toolbars' and "Tabbed Toolbar' Prototypes are
> depreciated and will not be further improved.

Thanks a lot for the helpful information! It's good to know what
feedback is most important right now.

> We are working on a mid fidelity prototype so that we do not really
> care about the look of the prototype. So please do not comment on
> the buttons or the cheesy placeholder to zoom in or out. It is just
> a placeholder and is subject to change. We just want to be able to
> test the interaction.

I personally wouldn't discourage the community of commenting on the
looks. Looks and interaction are not opposed to each other, and the
line between those two concepts may be different for everyone. E.g.
for me, if the circle doesn't look like something that can be clicked,
this is an interaction problem caused by how it looks. Sure, it may be
boring to read irrelevant comments, but you may simply ignore them.
And if those comments won't be made, you could miss important (read:
interaction-relevant) input.

> Prototyping phase ends on Friday next week, so there is only one
> week left to improve the prototype. we have to ensure that we are
> able to do the ux tests with the 'final' prototype. This means a lot
> of work load. Due to this we will not comment on Feedback regularly.
> We do read your feedback and discuss it within the prototyping team.
> We will continue to publish the prototype on a daily basis and will
> give short status updates in our daily mini-minutes on our
> prototyping home page [1].

It's a pity that the tight schedule that has been imposed on the UX
team effectively prevents the prototyping phase from taking place with
the community. But I guess it can't be helped now, and we'll make the
best of it. :)

Cheers,
Andreas

Frank Loehmann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to give you a short status update about Renaissance
> prototyping. A more detailed update will follow in our monthly status
> update for Project Renaissance taking place on Thursday next week.
Just a small correction: Next monthly status presentation for
Renaissance will take place on Thursday, July 30....

Best regards,

Frank