Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Andreas Bartel
Hi everyone,

I have uploaded a set of 63 written responses collected from members of
a large social/business community. They comment on whether they would
choose MSO 2007 or OpenOffice.org if both applications were offered for
free.

Who would volunteer to go through the qualitative data and, for earch
response, find out the goals and motivations behind the choices people
made? The data is quite interesting and provides important insights into
what drives users to either pick or avoid OpenOffice.org.

Here is the link:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/a/a2/Mso_ooo_survey.odt

Everyone is invited to have a look at the data anyway.

Best,
Andreas

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Andreas Neugebauer
Andreas Bartel schrieb:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have uploaded a set of 63 written responses collected from members
> of a large social/business community. They comment on whether they
> would choose MSO 2007 or OpenOffice.org if both applications were
> offered for free.
>
> Who would volunteer to go through the qualitative data and, for earch
> response, find out the goals and motivations behind the choices people
> made? The data is quite interesting and provides important insights
> into what drives users to either pick or avoid OpenOffice.org.
>
> Here is the link:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/a/a2/Mso_ooo_survey.odt
>
> Everyone is invited to have a look at the data anyway.
>
> Best,
> Andreas

Just to throw in my 5 cents,

after reading the comments, i'm just a little bit down, because so much
people are depending on M$ Office. But, there seems to be three major
points for that.

1. Many people think that OOo isn't fully compatible with Office
2003/2007. This is in fact not right, but i think we have to transfer
this better to the enduser.

2. The E-Mailclient / Calendarapplication question seems to play a big
role in the decision of the users.

3. The integration into Sharepoint and other M$ Software is a major
issue for the users. Maybe we have to work out alternatives and
communicate them to the user.

Another thing coming clear out of this survey is, that the Poweruser at
least tryed, if not is using OOo already, but the "normal"-user don't
even had a look at OOo.

c u

--
Andreas Neugebauer
Leiter EDV

AZUL Kaffee GmbH & Co. KG
Am Deich 43
D-28199 Bremen
Tel.: +49 421 59 08 - 0
Fax: + 49 421 59 08 - 200
Geschäftsführer: Jörg Biess

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Andreas Bartel
Hi Andreas,

thanks for your comments. I have a few words to say to your analysis.

Andreas Neugebauer schrieb:

> Andreas Bartel schrieb:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have uploaded a set of 63 written responses collected from members
>> of a large social/business community. They comment on whether they
>> would choose MSO 2007 or OpenOffice.org if both applications were
>> offered for free.
>>
>> Who would volunteer to go through the qualitative data and, for earch
>> response, find out the goals and motivations behind the choices
>> people made? The data is quite interesting and provides important
>> insights into what drives users to either pick or avoid OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> Here is the link:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/a/a2/Mso_ooo_survey.odt
>>
>> Everyone is invited to have a look at the data anyway.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andreas
>>
> Just to throw in my 5 cents,
>
> after reading the comments, i'm just a little bit down, because so
> much people are depending on M$ Office. But, there seems to be three
> major points for that.
>
> 1. Many people think that OOo isn't fully compatible with Office
> 2003/2007. This is in fact not right, but i think we have to transfer
> this better to the enduser.
 From own experience as a student, only a year ago, and from the survey
within an insurance company, I would only partially agree with your
opinion. As long as you have pretty simple text and spreadsheet things
to do, you are right. However, we it gets complex and you use tables,
images, out of the ordinary footers, compatibily issues start to rise
quickly. This is specifically a problem with MSO 2007 since the
invention of Smart Arts, Quick Tables and various tamplates for
footer/headers/cover pages etc.

Then comes PowerPoint into play and things get really ungly. Those users
who get ppt files with lots of media, will have serious problems when
using OOo.

> 2. The E-Mailclient / Calendarapplication question seems to play a big
> role in the decision of the users.
>
> 3. The integration into Sharepoint and other M$ Software is a major
> issue for the users. Maybe we have to work out alternatives and
> communicate them to the user.
>
> Another thing coming clear out of this survey is, that the Poweruser
> at least tryed, if not is using OOo already, but the "normal"-user
> don't even had a look at OOo.
I would not agree that we can or should segment the users according to
their knowledge or expertise. They all have different motivations and
goals. Some simply love OpenSource and ODF which is clearly not a skill.
Others desire a smooth integration with different products in order to
collaborate easily. Some are eager to learn and quickly adapt to the new
UI of MSO 2007 while others, again, are used to the old school UI od MSO
2003 and would choose OOo over MSO 2007

> c u

Thanks again!
Andreas

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Jaron Kuppers
If you would like a second analyzer I would be willing.  I already read
through most of the responses; the motivations are quite interesting.
Please let me know if you're interested Andreas.

Cheers,
Jaron

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Andreas Bartel <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have uploaded a set of 63 written responses collected from members of a
> large social/business community. They comment on whether they would choose
> MSO 2007 or OpenOffice.org if both applications were offered for free.
>
> Who would volunteer to go through the qualitative data and, for earch
> response, find out the goals and motivations behind the choices people made?
> The data is quite interesting and provides important insights into what
> drives users to either pick or avoid OpenOffice.org.
>
> Here is the link:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/a/a2/Mso_ooo_survey.odt
>
> Everyone is invited to have a look at the data anyway.
>
> Best,
> Andreas
>
> --
> Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
> Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
> 20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672
> Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
> http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]
>
> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
> Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
> Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Andreas Bartel
Hi Jaron,

please hook up with Mike Hall ([hidden email]). He already
offered his help. You might collaborate and put up a nice wiki page.

Thanks!
Andreas

Am 10.02.2009 um 17:05 schrieb Jaron Kuppers:

> If you would like a second analyzer I would be willing.  I already
> read
> through most of the responses; the motivations are quite interesting.
> Please let me know if you're interested Andreas.
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron
>

> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Andreas Bartel <[hidden email]
> >wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I have uploaded a set of 63 written responses collected from
>> members of a
>> large social/business community. They comment on whether they would
>> choose
>> MSO 2007 or OpenOffice.org if both applications were offered for
>> free.
>>
>> Who would volunteer to go through the qualitative data and, for earch
>> response, find out the goals and motivations behind the choices
>> people made?
>> The data is quite interesting and provides important insights into
>> what
>> drives users to either pick or avoid OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> Here is the link:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/a/a2/Mso_ooo_survey.odt
>>
>> Everyone is invited to have a look at the data anyway.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andreas
>>
>> --
>> Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
>> Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
>> 20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672
>> Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
>> http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>> Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
>> Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Stefan Weigel
Hi Andreas,

Andreas Neugebauer schrieb:

> 1. Many people think that OOo isn't fully compatible with Office
> 2003/2007. This is in fact not right, but i think we have to transfer
> this better to the enduser.

OOo is *not* fully compatible with MSO. First of all one must define
what is meant by "compatibilty".

If you mean the possibilitiy to exchange documents, the
compatibility is fair but not 100%. From my point of view, it is
fair enough, but it is not fully compatible.

If compatibility means the possibility to use either OOo or MSO for
the same use cases, the compatibility is really bad. OOo does not
cover all the major features of MSO. This is especially true for
E-Mail communication, groupware client and database applications.

For example, frequently I get complaints from users who failed to
run a MS Access Application with OOo.

(Not to speak about additional members of the MSO family like
Publisher, OneNote, InfoPath, Visio, Project, FrontPage, Photo
Editor and so on...)

One of the biggest mistakes in OOo marketing is to make people
believe they can switch from MSO to OOo and just do all the things
they could before. This produces disappointed and angry customers,
who talk bad about their OOo experience.

Please don´t state "OOo is fully compatible to MSO". OOo is a great
piece of Office software. And there may be many cases, where MSO can
be replaced by OOo. But in general, OOo is not a replacement for MSO.

my 2 cents

Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org

Re: Qualitative data analysis, HELP required

Adam Willoughby -Knox
I agree with the note on compatibility. My girlfriend recently switched to
OOo (on ubuntu, from ms), and has had a trying time with the program. She
had the save changed to .doc so that she wouldn't have to think about
resaving to send it to a friend/different computer. MS Word '03 has had a
terrible time opening many of the files she has created (in writer). The
focus of these change-over problems occur with bullets, they tend indent
strangely and change shapes; tables, specifically ones that span more than
one page; and mysterious vanishing data, though I think this stems may have
stemmed from a table in writer being made very wide when OOo saved it as
doc.

So getting into the gritty higher end features like email communication and
groupware client and database applications isn't really necessary. We have
to take basics into consideration first as they will be accessed by a larger
percentage of users.

-Knoxy