Prototype UI

Dog Catcher
Some users prefer the clean functionality of the Windows XP and Office
2003 interface, while others prefer the Windows Vista and Office 2007
look and interface.  (Or KDE 3.5 vs KDE 4, if you prefer that
analogy.)  There are pros and cons for both, and I'm not here to argue
the merits of one over the other.

Rather, I'm here to urge the OO developers to integrate the new UI as
an option, rather than as a replacement UI, as did Microsoft.  Let the
user decide which type of menu makes him/her more efficient, thereby
broadening the product's appeal instead of unilaterally altering its
appeal.  Putting it another way, by offering a choice of UI you can
give users another reason to choose OO instead of erecting an obstacle
to the selection of OO.

Remember the mission statement:  "Create a User Interface so that
OpenOffice.org becomes the users' choice...."

With respect to the prototype UI itself, I echo the concerns of others
regarding its size.  Developers may have the luxury of gazing at banks
of large, high-resolution monitors.  Ordinary users are not so
fortunate.  They gaze at a single monitor, and often it is the little
one on their laptop.  On small monitors, screen real estate is
precious and the working space for a document is valuable and should
not be needlessly consumed by an application's UI.  Thus, it seems to
me that the various buttons on the prototype UI need to be drastically
reduced in size.

Re: Prototype UI

Martin Hanzel
Would it also be possible to implement the new UI as a "plugin"-type
component? This would make it possible for the user to switch between
different UIs (toolbars, new UI) by loading different plugins (or
"modules"). Also, if the user had the technical knowledge, he/she could
modify their favorite UI or create a new UI from scratch (porting the
Ribbon, KOffice UI, for instance).

I agree that there shouldn't be a design written in stone. It should be
written on paper, then erased and redrawn by the user to suit his/her likes
/ dislikes.

-Martin

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Dog Catcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some users prefer the clean functionality of the Windows XP and Office
> 2003 interface, while others prefer the Windows Vista and Office 2007
> look and interface.  (Or KDE 3.5 vs KDE 4, if you prefer that
> analogy.)  There are pros and cons for both, and I'm not here to argue
> the merits of one over the other.
>
> Rather, I'm here to urge the OO developers to integrate the new UI as
> an option, rather than as a replacement UI, as did Microsoft.  Let the
> user decide which type of menu makes him/her more efficient, thereby
> broadening the product's appeal instead of unilaterally altering its
> appeal.  Putting it another way, by offering a choice of UI you can
> give users another reason to choose OO instead of erecting an obstacle
> to the selection of OO.
>
> Remember the mission statement:  "Create a User Interface so that
> OpenOffice.org becomes the users' choice...."
>
> With respect to the prototype UI itself, I echo the concerns of others
> regarding its size.  Developers may have the luxury of gazing at banks
> of large, high-resolution monitors.  Ordinary users are not so
> fortunate.  They gaze at a single monitor, and often it is the little
> one on their laptop.  On small monitors, screen real estate is
> precious and the working space for a document is valuable and should
> not be needlessly consumed by an application's UI.  Thus, it seems to
> me that the various buttons on the prototype UI need to be drastically
> reduced in size.

Re: Prototype UI

Rodrigo Carvalho
I think it's a very good idea! I just don't know if it's possible to do with
extensions. Another pro is that OOo team will be able to know whether UI is
being more used.

Anyway, I think every UI need to be customized by drag-and-drop and docking.

Regards!
--
Rodrigo

Participe do II GNUGRAF!
http://gnugraf.org/

On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 07:07, Martin Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Would it also be possible to implement the new UI as a "plugin"-type
> component? This would make it possible for the user to switch between
> different UIs (toolbars, new UI) by loading different plugins (or
> "modules"). Also, if the user had the technical knowledge, he/she could
> modify their favorite UI or create a new UI from scratch (porting the
> Ribbon, KOffice UI, for instance).
>
> I agree that there shouldn't be a design written in stone. It should be
> written on paper, then erased and redrawn by the user to suit his/her likes
> / dislikes.
>
> -Martin
>

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Dog Catcher <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > Some users prefer the clean functionality of the Windows XP and Office
> > 2003 interface, while others prefer the Windows Vista and Office 2007
> > look and interface.  (Or KDE 3.5 vs KDE 4, if you prefer that
> > analogy.)  There are pros and cons for both, and I'm not here to argue
> > the merits of one over the other.
> >
> > Rather, I'm here to urge the OO developers to integrate the new UI as
> > an option, rather than as a replacement UI, as did Microsoft.  Let the
> > user decide which type of menu makes him/her more efficient, thereby
> > broadening the product's appeal instead of unilaterally altering its
> > appeal.  Putting it another way, by offering a choice of UI you can
> > give users another reason to choose OO instead of erecting an obstacle
> > to the selection of OO.
> >
> > Remember the mission statement:  "Create a User Interface so that
> > OpenOffice.org becomes the users' choice...."
> >
> > With respect to the prototype UI itself, I echo the concerns of others
> > regarding its size.  Developers may have the luxury of gazing at banks
> > of large, high-resolution monitors.  Ordinary users are not so
> > fortunate.  They gaze at a single monitor, and often it is the little
> > one on their laptop.  On small monitors, screen real estate is
> > precious and the working space for a document is valuable and should
> > not be needlessly consumed by an application's UI.  Thus, it seems to
> > me that the various buttons on the prototype UI need to be drastically
> > reduced in size.

Re: Prototype UI

Martin Hanzel
It would also open up the UI dev to people who don't know about us and this project.
Is there a better way to get everyone involved?

And it would also get rid of the toolbar vs sidebar etc. arguments that plague this mailing list.

-Martin