Proto Feedback

Ajay Shyanbhog
Hi all,

Could not have a deep look at protos, but some stuff on which I wanted to
comment from the brief look I had,

The expose like functionality to preview slides is great! The quick and
easy access to Slide master too is a win.

Some of the toolbar concepts are good. Next release of Impress will surely
be impressive :)

Now for the rants and "please includes"

# Please provide option to shift to a vertical toolbar for widescreen. UI
team should consider shipping with different presets for 4:3 and 16:9
ratios,and allow users to switch between the two in preferences.

# Test OOo with netbooks and optimize the experience. Response time of
software is part of user experience.

# Make it easy for manufacturers to choose the best screen pre-set for
their products (screen size of their comp/laptop). Many users tend to
stick to products that shipped with their systems, and being available out
of the box with new systems is a good way to introduce users to OOo.
Netbook manufacturers add value to their product by shipping with OOo and
this can be a win-win.

# Almost all browsers ship with tabs and Photoshop CS4 too has tabs. So
users are now pretty used to the concept, and tabs for documents in OOo
will be pretty useful. This is not to say tabs are best for navigating
multiple documents, rather the tried and tested method users are already
familiar with. (unless someone manages to come up with a better concept
and have the time to refine it to a shippable level)

# Double clicking to open formatting tools is very good
Object-Tool-Action path is efficient if done well. It would be great if
this would be available for all objects types such as images, tables etc.

Overall the protos are promising, hope OOo manages to kick start
innovation in office suites like firefox did for browsers.

One word of caution, it is looking like there is too much on the plate
already. It would be wise to ship on time and ship refined products.
Stagger innovation to enable the same. (Hint hint - Vista vs MacOS X)

Regards

Ajay

Re: Proto Feedback

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Ajay,

Good to hear from you. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away.

On 07/26/09 12:10, Ajay wrote:

[...]
> The expose like functionality to preview slides is great! The quick
> and easy access to Slide master too is a win.
>
> Some of the toolbar concepts are good. Next release of Impress will
> surely be impressive :)
:-)

> Now for the rants and "please includes"
>
> # Please provide option to shift to a vertical toolbar for widescreen.
> UI team should consider shipping with different presets for 4:3 and
> 16:9 ratios,and allow users to switch between the two in preferences.

It will be moveable, so you can put it where you like it best. It is not
in the prototype but will be in the end product.
> # Test OOo with netbooks and optimize the experience. Response time of
> software is part of user experience.
The 0.15 protoype reduced the height of the bar for this reason.

> # Make it easy for manufacturers to choose the best screen pre-set for
> their products (screen size of their comp/laptop). Many users tend to
> stick to products that shipped with their systems, and being available
> out of the box with new systems is a good way to introduce users to
> OOo. Netbook manufacturers add value to their product by shipping with
> OOo and this can be a win-win.
>
> # Almost all browsers ship with tabs and Photoshop CS4 too has tabs.
> So users are now pretty used to the concept, and tabs for documents in
> OOo will be pretty useful. This is not to say tabs are best for
> navigating multiple documents, rather the tried and tested method
> users are already familiar with. (unless someone manages to come up
> with a better concept and have the time to refine it to a shippable
> level)
>
> # Double clicking to open formatting tools is very good
> Object-Tool-Action path is efficient if done well. It would be great
> if this would be available for all objects types such as images,
> tables etc.
>
> Overall the protos are promising, hope OOo manages to kick start
> innovation in office suites like firefox did for browsers.
>
> One word of caution, it is looking like there is too much on the plate
> already. It would be wise to ship on time and ship refined products.
> Stagger innovation to enable the same. (Hint hint - Vista vs MacOS X)
>
> Regards
> Ajay

Re: Proto Feedback

Alexandro Colorado
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Elizabeth
Matthis<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ajay,
>
> Good to hear from you. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away.
>
> On 07/26/09 12:10, Ajay wrote:
>
> [...]
>>
>> The expose like functionality to preview slides is great! The quick and
>> easy access to Slide master too is a win.
>>
>> Some of the toolbar concepts are good. Next release of Impress will surely
>> be impressive :)
>
> :-)
>>
>> Now for the rants and "please includes"
>>
>> # Please provide option to shift to a vertical toolbar for widescreen. UI
>> team should consider shipping with different presets for 4:3 and 16:9
>> ratios,and allow users to switch between the two in preferences.
>>
> It will be moveable, so you can put it where you like it best. It is not in
> the prototype but will be in the end product.
>>
>> # Test OOo with netbooks and optimize the experience. Response time of
>> software is part of user experience.
>
> The 0.15 protoype reduced the height of the bar for this reason.

I havent been able to see the 0.15 prototype but can we get the
veritical toolbox implemented? Horizontal just doesn't look good and
it was mostly voted out of the mockups.

>> # Make it easy for manufacturers to choose the best screen pre-set for
>> their products (screen size of their comp/laptop). Many users tend to stick
>> to products that shipped with their systems, and being available out of the
>> box with new systems is a good way to introduce users to OOo. Netbook
>> manufacturers add value to their product by shipping with OOo and this can
>> be a win-win.
>>
>> # Almost all browsers ship with tabs and Photoshop CS4 too has tabs. So
>> users are now pretty used to the concept, and tabs for documents in OOo will
>> be pretty useful. This is not to say tabs are best for navigating multiple
>> documents, rather the tried and tested method users are already familiar
>> with. (unless someone manages to come up with a better concept and have the
>> time to refine it to a shippable level)
>>
>> # Double clicking to open formatting tools is very good
>>  Object-Tool-Action path is efficient if done well. It would be great if
>> this would be available for all objects types such as images, tables etc.
>>
>> Overall the protos are promising, hope OOo manages to kick start
>> innovation in office suites like firefox did for browsers.
>>
>> One word of caution, it is looking like there is too much on the plate
>> already. It would be wise to ship on time and ship refined products. Stagger
>> innovation to enable the same. (Hint hint - Vista vs MacOS X)
>>
>> Regards
>> Ajay
>>
> Best regards,
> Liz

Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Espa&ntilde;ol
IM: [hidden email]

Re: Re: Proto Feedback

Ajay Shyanbhog
Hi

> Hi Ajay,
>
> Good to hear from you. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away.

Hope you had a nice vacation!

>> # Please provide option to shift to a vertical toolbar for widescreen.
>> UI team should consider shipping with different presets for 4:3 and
>> 16:9 ratios,and allow users to switch between the two in preferences.
>>
> It will be moveable, so you can put it where you like it best. It is not
> in the prototype but will be in the end product.

Many users don't even change the default background that comes with
their Windows installation, even fewer "dare" to mess around with
toolbars. If OOo team is ideologically opposed to having a vertical
tool-bar, then atleast consider positioning the " movable" toolbars to
suit widescreens, and somehow make it easy for users to load this
setting as a option.

People like us will spend atleast a few mins playing around with the
UI till we find a comfort zone. But most won't, and the design team,
should ideally focus their efforts on the needs of these users,

>> # Test OOo with netbooks and optimize the experience. Response time of
>> software is part of user experience.

> The 0.15 protoype reduced the height of the bar for this reason.

So all the rants on mailing lists and blogs did have some effect :)

Lotus symphony's vertical toolbars at pretty productive, (used it for
a few days, for as long as I could handle quirks of the old code base)

Most 3D CAD softwares ship with vertical toolbars. They have
magnitudes more complicated tools than OOo. When using them day in and
out, like me, it is easy to develop a bias towards vertical layout, :)

Below is a image of my favorite tool. This software is considered to
have the most productive interface among 3d surfacing tools,

http://mac.develop3d.com/uploaded_images/Picture-2-716168.png

Screenshots shots of some other CAD softwares below,

http://mac.develop3d.com/uploaded_images/engine_section-787522.png
http://www.dezignstuff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/interface011.png
http://www.ansys.com/Products/ffc/images/boundary_lg.jpg
http://www.ansys.com/products/images/icem_proemif.gif

Anyway, if the OOo team has already decided to go ahead with
interfaces demoed in the proto, please clarify the same. We can stop
filling the mailing list with our requests for vertical layout,

Cheers,

Ajay

Re: Re: Proto Feedback

Nicolas Pujol
A lot of softwares have an horizontal sidebar to manage simple functions
(bold, center, etc.) and vertical sidebars for the more complex functions.
This is some examples :

Nisus Writer <http://nisus.com/Express/images/screen-gallery1.jpg>
Bean <http://www.bean-osx.com/graphics/inspector.jpg>
Pages <http://images.apple.com/iwork/pages/images/whatis-fonts-20090106.jpg>
Lotus Symphony<http://symphony.lotus.com/theme/images/documents_table_new.gif>
Mellel <http://www.redlers.com/images/screenshots/hr/sp05.jpg>
Abiword <http://www.abisource.com/screenshots/abi-macosx.jpg>

I think that's the best choice and hope OpenOffice will do the same.

Re: Re: Proto Feedback

Mathias Michel
Hi all

2009/8/16 Ajay <[hidden email]>

> Hi
>

> > Hi Ajay,
> >
> > Good to hear from you. Sorry I didn't respond sooner. I was away.
>
> Hope you had a nice vacation!
>
> >> # Please provide option to shift to a vertical toolbar for widescreen.
> >> UI team should consider shipping with different presets for 4:3 and
> >> 16:9 ratios,and allow users to switch between the two in preferences.
> >>
> > It will be moveable, so you can put it where you like it best. It is not
> > in the prototype but will be in the end product.
>
> Many users don't even change the default background that comes with
> their Windows installation, even fewer "dare" to mess around with
> toolbars. If OOo team is ideologically opposed to having a vertical
> tool-bar, then atleast consider positioning the " movable" toolbars to
> suit widescreens, and somehow make it easy for users to load this
> setting as a option.
>
> People like us will spend atleast a few mins playing around with the
> UI till we find a comfort zone. But most won't, and the design team,
> should ideally focus their efforts on the needs of these users,

Some others already do:
Check http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/community_work_in_the_framework

Regards
Mathias