Project Renaissance

Michael Pless
Hi,

I just put my name forward to help out with the project.

At this stage, I don't know just how much use I can be, but I'm
certainly willing to try.

For many years, I have been a writer of one sort or another, and use
Writer mainly, but also Impress, and Calc from time to time. My first
real word processor was AmiPro - I'm that old! - and quickly got into
its way of working. It just seemed right to me.

My employer obliged me to work with Microsoft products and I grappled
with them for a while, before SmartSuite and I started working from home.

I have used most office suites, but have stuck with OO because it offers
me a lot of what I need. It is not perfect, and even now I find features
I did not know of. Tidying the interface would definitely yield
productivity improvements. Some of the logic behind the interface is
difficult for me to fathom as well.

Seeing the project excited and interested me. I would dearly love to see
it succeed, and will endeavor to help if I can.

Regards, and good luck,

Michael Pless

Re: Project Renaissance

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Michael,

On 07/09/09 08:16, Michael Pless wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just put my name forward to help out with the project.
>
> At this stage, I don't know just how much use I can be, but I'm
> certainly willing to try.

Welcome to the OOo UX project!  I'm sure you have many talents that can
help OOo get ahead.
> For many years, I have been a writer of one sort or another, and use
> Writer mainly, but also Impress, and Calc from time to time. My first
> real word processor was AmiPro - I'm that old! - and quickly got into
> its way of working. It just seemed right to me.

Wonderful! Good writers are always good to have. Many of the people who
write content for the OOo wiki, for example, are not native speakers of
English. Thus there are  sometimes language or style issues that make
reading a bit awkward or the text less concise than necessary.

If OOo is to excite even more people, starting at text level, i.e., how
we/OOo present ourselves and make our first impressions to readers,
seems like an excellent place to me. Some readers may be put off if they
are exposed to cumbersome or unclear text, so, though it seems a tidbit,
editing text on the wiki is a fantastic gift to the community.

*Wiki text is truly a basic part of the user experience.*

Feel free to jump in and improve any text you should stumble across. The
place to start is:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Main_Page

Obviously if parts of a text are ambiguous, then you should not improve
them without contacting the author (though it might not be clear who the
author is, then just contact the last editor in the History to enquire
if it is OK to make some corrections) because you wouldn't want to
change the meaning in an unintended direction. But correcting any simple
language errors would definitely be approved of by any author. I know
because I have been asked me to go in and improve wiki pages in general,
esp dev ones, but there is more than any one person can handle. To edit
the wiki you need to register for an acct and log in. Then off you go!
At your leisure and in areas where you feel comfortable.

*That goes for any of you writing geniuses out there! Get cracking,
folks. This is for the good of the project, so don't twiddle your thumbs
if you are a native speaker (or confident ESL speaker) of English and
have time for twiddling. High-level pages are more important than lower
level ones, so go go go. Don't be shy.*

> My employer obliged me to work with Microsoft products and I grappled
> with them for a while, before SmartSuite and I started working from home.
>
> I have used most office suites, but have stuck with OO because it
> offers me a lot of what I need. It is not perfect, and even now I find
> features I did not know of. Tidying the interface would definitely
> yield productivity improvements. Some of the logic behind the
> interface is difficult for me to fathom as well.
Oh good. That makes you a good guinea pig for new usability concepts.
The idea is to find more intuitive concepts that will be well-received
by users because, though they present a change (and most people hate
change), they present a marked increase in ease-of-use.

> Seeing the project excited and interested me. I would dearly love to
> see it succeed, and will endeavor to help if I can.
Thank you so much! The OOo community thrives because of people like you.

> Regards, and good luck,
>
> Michael Pless

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns.
Writing to me directly is fine, but posting to this list is always good.
Sometimes it takes me a while before I am able to respond, so please
don't get discouraged.

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel