Planet redesign proposal

Connor Montgomery-2
Hello, everyone!

Here is my first proposal for the new ux planet. As you can see, I left the header and footer out, in case the branding team has come up with a uniform header/footer for the wiki pages (I am going to check on that). Obviously it is attached, but I am also trying to get the wiki [1] updated and used some more.

As always, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms are more than welcome. So everyone can read the feedback at once, let's keep it here on the mailing list, and once you mail it, please add it to the wiki (or if I don't see it, I'll do my best to add it).

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Best,
Connor

p.s. some explanation on choosing the layout why I did:

- There were LOTS of comments about how people really liked the "speech bubble" approach. This isn't as bubbly as those, but essentially it's the same concept. I wanted to look a little bit more professional and put together than that, so that's how I adopted this look. I'm also using the colors defined in the new branding guidelines, and those planet-OOo icons you see under the Planetarium are courtesy of Ivan. Otherwise, I was going for a more professional and clean look in particular. Something that was appealing, but not too flashy.

Re: Planet redesign proposal

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Connor,

On 05/12/10 06:59, Connor Montgomery wrote:
> Hello, everyone!
>
> Here is my first proposal for the new ux planet. As you can see, I
> left the header and footer out, in case the branding team has come up
> with a uniform header/footer for the wiki pages (I am going to check
> on that). Obviously it is attached, but I am also trying to get the
> wiki [1] updated and used some more.
Thanks so much! Can we have the cute guy photo there all the time, no
matter who writes the blog post? ;-) What a great smile.

OK, everyone, I think we should make sure we each have super friendly
pictures to go next to our blog posts, so we all exude positive energy
that will support the positive image of User Experience and Usability.
If you don't have a pic, then maybe we have a really nice placeholder?

> As always, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms are more than
> welcome. So everyone can read the feedback at once, let's keep it here
> on the mailing list, and once you mail it, please add it to the wiki
> (or if I don't see it, I'll do my best to add it).
The Add Your Blog button first got me wondering where it would lead.
Then I checked the current planet and saw the text there that explained
it. Now I'm wondering if it would be better to label the button "Link
Your Blog Here". Is "link" an appropriate term? Hmmmm. still thinking.

> Looking forward to hearing from you all!
>
> Best,
> Connor

Thanks again,
Liz

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz

Re: Planet redesign proposal

Ivan M
Hi Connor,

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Connor Montgomery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, everyone!
>
> Here is my first proposal for the new ux planet. As you can see, I left the
> header and footer out, in case the branding team has come up with a uniform
> header/footer for the wiki pages (I am going to check on that). Obviously it
> is attached, but I am also trying to get the wiki [1] updated and used some
> more.

Please avoid using attachments on the mailing list - the mailservers don't
like it :) ... but thanks for sharing your design!

> As always, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms are more than welcome. So
> everyone can read the feedback at once, let's keep it here on the mailing
> list, and once you mail it, please add it to the wiki (or if I don't see it,
> I'll do my best to add it).

Your take on the speech bubbles is interesting - they look more formal than
the Planet GNOME speech bubbles (the rounding of the rectangle encapsulating
each post is a good measure of this). However, looking at the current
Planet, most of the posts are text-only, so it might be better to add a
little "flashy"ness. The current planet doesn't motivate me to read the
posts - I'd rather click on the post title and go to the original blog in
the hope that the layout is better there. Having photos would definitely
help the layout: faces on a white background would be ideal, but in other
cases we could enclose them in a circle (to fit with the gull orb symbol).
Whatever we can do to enhance readability (be it better font properties,
more generous line spacing, etc). would help IMO.

I've put up a quick mockup based on yours:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:OOoPlanetDraft.png

We could also get rid of redundant info - either have the post date/time at
the bottom of each post or have it as a heading for each day's posts. The
sidebar is looking good - nice and simple. I guess clicking 'Add your blog'
would take people to a form (or email address) where they can submit a link
to their blog's OOo-related topics feed?

Regards,
Ivan.

Re: Planet redesign proposal

Connor Montgomery
Hello!
On May 12, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Ivan M wrote:

> Hi Connor,
>
> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Connor Montgomery <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello, everyone!
>>
>> Here is my first proposal for the new ux planet. As you can see, I left the
>> header and footer out, in case the branding team has come up with a uniform
>> header/footer for the wiki pages (I am going to check on that). Obviously it
>> is attached, but I am also trying to get the wiki [1] updated and used some
>> more.
>>

> Please avoid using attachments on the mailing list - the mailservers don't
> like it :) ... but thanks for sharing your design!

My apologies... I'll stray away from that from here on.

>> As always, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms are more than welcome. So
>> everyone can read the feedback at once, let's keep it here on the mailing
>> list, and once you mail it, please add it to the wiki (or if I don't see it,
>> I'll do my best to add it).
>>

> Your take on the speech bubbles is interesting - they look more formal than
> the Planet GNOME speech bubbles (the rounding of the rectangle encapsulating
> each post is a good measure of this). However, looking at the current
> Planet, most of the posts are text-only, so it might be better to add a
> little "flashy"ness.

You know, originally I was going for the more formal look. However, after this point, I'm thinking that over again.

> The current planet doesn't motivate me to read the
> posts - I'd rather click on the post title and go to the original blog in
> the hope that the layout is better there. Having photos would definitely
> help the layout: faces on a white background would be ideal, but in other
> cases we could enclose them in a circle (to fit with the gull orb symbol).
> Whatever we can do to enhance readability (be it better font properties,
> more generous line spacing, etc). would help IMO.
>
> I've put up a quick mockup based on yours:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/File:OOoPlanetDraft.png

Wow, I like that a lot. Frankly, I think the rounded or square enclosing of the face depends on what the branding/web teams deliver for the header and footer. I wouldn't feel comfortable going one way or the other until we got those.

> We could also get rid of redundant info - either have the post date/time at
> the bottom of each post or have it as a heading for each day's posts. The
> sidebar is looking good - nice and simple. I guess clicking 'Add your blog'
> would take people to a form (or email address) where they can submit a link
> to their blog's OOo-related topics feed?

Yes, that's what I was planning. I like that sidebar the best, too. I agree on the comment about redundant info... I think the best approach is to have the date/time of the post in one place, whether that's the heading or bottom of each post, that doesn't necessarily have to be up to me. I would suggest the top though, that way the user can see when it was posted right away.

> Regards,
> Ivan.

Best,
Connor

Re: Planet redesign proposal

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Liz, Connor, Ivan! Or shorter: Dear Planeteers ;-)

I am happy to see that these things are moving so nicely, so let me
first thank you for the first steps!

Am Mittwoch, den 12.05.2010, 18:52 -0500 schrieb Connor Montgomery:
> On May 12, 2010, at 6:47 PM, Ivan M wrote:
> > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 4:59 PM, Connor Montgomery <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> Here is my first proposal for the new ux planet. As you can see, I left the
> >> header and footer out, in case the branding team has come up with a uniform
> >> header/footer for the wiki pages (I am going to check on that). Obviously it
> >> is attached, but I am also trying to get the wiki [1] updated and used some
> >> more.
> >
> > Please avoid using attachments on the mailing list - the mailservers don't
> > like it :) ... but thanks for sharing your design!
>
> My apologies... I'll stray away from that from here on.

Don't worry :-) There are sometimes some best practices that are hardly
known to new community members. Especially since very few people provide
designs ... so they will never find out ;-)

> >> As always, any feedback, suggestions, criticisms are more than welcome. So
> >> everyone can read the feedback at once, let's keep it here on the mailing
> >> list, and once you mail it, please add it to the wiki (or if I don't see it,
> >> I'll do my best to add it).
> >
> > Your take on the speech bubbles is interesting - they look more formal than
> > the Planet GNOME speech bubbles (the rounding of the rectangle encapsulating
> > each post is a good measure of this). However, looking at the current
> > Planet, most of the posts are text-only, so it might be better to add a
> > little "flashy"ness.
>
> You know, originally I was going for the more formal look. However,
> after this point, I'm thinking that over again.

Hehe, cool ideas guys!

Personally, I think the branding initiative got a bit stuck at the
moment. Your both designs (Ivan, I refer to your ideas below) somehow
represent the "visual design language" presented by Sun/Oracle. Ivan, I
consider your ideas to nicely match the new OpenOffice.org logo. Connor,
your design fits perfectly to the new ODF icons presented last year.

Both designs are a great start - but if we want to move on, I would like
to ask *all* on the list to have a look at the page which has been set
up by Bernhard (and refined by Ivan) what the goals of the branding
are.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Branding_Initiative/Inform#OpenOffice.org_Branding_-_what_are_our_goals.3F

By the way, I didn't knew how to add my ideas, therefore I just posted
them to the branding mailing list. But, please don't keep your ideas and
thoughts private :-)

One last question to Connor - why is the upper bubble a bit darker? Is
this some alternating color for the posts? If yes, what might happen to
colored text in the foreground - is the contrast still sufficient?

> > The current planet doesn't motivate me to read the
> > posts - I'd rather click on the post title and go to the original blog in
> > the hope that the layout is better there. Having photos would definitely
> > help the layout: faces on a white background would be ideal, but in other
> > cases we could enclose them in a circle (to fit with the gull orb symbol).
> > Whatever we can do to enhance readability (be it better font properties,
> > more generous line spacing, etc). would help IMO.
> >
> > I've put up a quick mockup based on yours:
[...]

Thanks! I've added your image and your comments on the wiki page:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User:ChristophNoack/Planet_Refresh_2010#Design_Proposals_and_Idea_Collection

> Wow, I like that a lot. Frankly, I think the rounded or square
> enclosing of the face depends on what the branding/web teams deliver
> for the header and footer. I wouldn't feel comfortable going one way
> or the other until we got those.

The round faces are a great idea. Thinking of the recently presented
logo for the OOoCon 2010, the male people should get a "gull" moustache,
too.

More seriously, I still like it :-) There may be some tiny issues when
thinking of the tooling or group blogs - like the Issue Tracker (using
the OOo Symbol?) or the UX team blog.

> > We could also get rid of redundant info - either have the post date/time at
> > the bottom of each post or have it as a heading for each day's posts. The
> > sidebar is looking good - nice and simple. I guess clicking 'Add your blog'
> > would take people to a form (or email address) where they can submit a link
> > to their blog's OOo-related topics feed?
>
> Yes, that's what I was planning. I like that sidebar the best, too. I
> agree on the comment about redundant info... I think the best approach
> is to have the date/time of the post in one place, whether that's the
> heading or bottom of each post, that doesn't necessarily have to be up
> to me. I would suggest the top though, that way the user can see when
> it was posted right away.

Some words on the redundant info: Currently, the headers do greatly
support to get an overview on what has being posted when. To me - the
more detailed info in each of the bubbles is helpful, too. For example,
it supports the user if the date header is invisible (scrolled outside
viewport).

I don't know if this is technically feasible, but what about providing
more "humane" headers - e.g. "Today, 9 May 2010", "Yesterday, 8 May
2010" , ...

Concerning the header:
      * Personally, I don't like the horizontal divider lines not that
        much (as I said, personally). Changing that design might also up
        to the visual design language by the branding team, but what
        about the following ... Each header starts a new day (keyword
        "sunset", "sky") and one of our main visual identifiers are
        "gulls". So - unless it destroys some of the clean look - I've
        added a rough proposal at the wiki page.
      * If the user scrolls the page, will the header move, too?
        Currently, the header and the side bar move ... do we all "like"
        that behavior? At least, it is different to the other OOo pages.

Concerning the side bar: I would like to discuss some ideas with you...
      * Still, there are people around who don't really know what a
        planet is. What about a short statement or a link to another
        page with some explanation?
      * Once we talked about several the sub-pages for either projects
        (marketing, UX, ...) or activities (nothing yet). Do we still
        think this is valuable? If yes, were to add the information what
        the sub-planet is about and how to link back to the main planet?

Okay, it is late ... so I'll better stop unless my thoughts get too
dizzy. So enjoy your day / evening!

Thanks to all people who provide(d) comments, ideas, ... !

Re: Planet redesign proposal

Connor Montgomery
Hello all!

THank you Christoph - I do like the header you provided quite a bit and agree with most of your comments. This will be short (dinner is waiting for me!), but yes - the color variation between the bubbles was expected to be an alternating thing. I made it so the background change is noticeable, but the contrast still would be sufficient if, perhaps, there was a color change.

That's all. I'll be on later!

Connor