Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi,

OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files. Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these dialogs here: 

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,

Frank

-- 

Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 40 23646882
Oracle Open Office Software

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven



Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Uwe Fischer-2
On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files.
> Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs
> are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre
> configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be
> specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these
> dialogs here:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>
> Feedback welcome.
>

Hi,

why not make the own file dialogs of OO.o better than the default system
dialogs?

I especially like the file dialogs of jEdit 4.3.2, a Java based text
editor available for all operating systems that can run Java.

- it has favorite folders that the user can add and edit
- it has an automatic list of recently used folders (and many of them!)
- it can filter the list of shown files using a Filter combo box with
history
- it highlights all files that are already open

Take all these, and add the ability to add more columns to the file
list, e.g. for showing and sorting and filtering by the file properties.
Author, last edited by, description, custom properties, number of words,
paragraphs, other statistics etc. as you can see in File>Properties.


Uwe
--

Uwe Fischer | Technical Writer
Oracle Office GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi Uwe,

Am 08.11.2010 11:10, schrieb Uwe Fischer:
On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:
Hi,

OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files. Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these dialogs here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs

Feedback welcome.


Hi,

why not make the own file dialogs of OO.o better than the default system dialogs?
Yes, that was also my initial thought, but as always the resources are limited and the focus is on places this time. Furthermore OOo wants to be a good citizen on a system, so system dialogs are the way to go to make everything available that is integrated into the system.

I especially like the file dialogs of jEdit 4.3.2, a Java based text editor available for all operating systems that can run Java.

- it has favorite folders that the user can add and edit
I have added 'editing places' to the list.
- it has an automatic list of recently used folders (and many of them!)
Yes, good idea. The mock-up does currently does not show this, but the text below it. The current dialog also knows this folder history on the drop down button for 'Up one level'.
- it can filter the list of shown files using a Filter combo box with history
I have added 'Find/Filter' to the list.
- it highlights all files that are already open
Good point. We also need to give status updates on shared etc...

Take all these, and add the ability to add more columns to the file list, e.g. for showing and sorting and filtering by the file properties. Author, last edited by, description, custom properties, number of words, paragraphs, other statistics etc. as you can see in File>Properties.
OK. I will give an update what is in scope by the end of this week.

Thanks for your feedback!


Uwe
Best regards,

Frank

--


Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Cor Nouws
In reply to this post by Uwe Fischer-2
Hi Frank,

On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:

> OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files.
> Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs
> are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre
> configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be
> specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these
> dialogs here:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>
>
> Feedback welcome.

I see no data on the wiki about the keyboard behaviour.
Obviously, this ís the most important ;-)

 From the wiki: "Path shows icon of current place and a drop down with a
list of all available places. (show only if places are hidden?) "
  I think so yes, only show it when places are hidden.

Question: would it be possible to assign Alt-left/right to make the
column Title wider if the focus is in the list?

For the rest, only compliments.

Regards,
Cor


--
  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi Cor, all,

I have updated the wiki page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs

First version has strong focus on places.

Am 10.11.2010 00:37, schrieb Cor Nouws:
Hi Frank,

On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:

OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files.
Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs
are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre
configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be
specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these
dialogs here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs


Feedback welcome.

I see no data on the wiki about the keyboard behaviour.
Obviously, this ís the most important ;-)

From the wiki: "Path shows icon of current place and a drop down with a list of all available places. (show only if places are hidden?) "
 I think so yes, only show it when places are hidden.
Yep, one point is sufficient.

Question: would it be possible to assign Alt-left/right to make the column Title wider if the focus is in the list?
Not sure if it is possible to focus the splitting window or how columns can be changed via keyboard.

@Éric: Is this possible or do we have at least an issue for that?


For the rest, only compliments.

Thanks

Frank
Regards,
Cor




--


Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Malte Timmermann-2
I understand that people like to improve or own file dialogs, but I am
not sure how important this is, nor how many people would recognize it.

The default is the system dialog, and it should of course stay this way.

Now - how many people will actually change the option to use the OOo
dialogs? Do we have user tracking data for this?

From a developer / OOo code base perspective, I even would like to get
rid of the self-made file dialogs at all. Lot's of maintenance for
different OS / file system features.

Too bad that we need our dialogs in certain situations (http/WebDav
locations).

Would be great if we could get the missing functionality into the system
dialogs somehow, and then don't use own dialogs anymore.

Not sure how realistic this is, but I just wanted to mention this, to
point out that it's probably not the best place for making big UX
changes which won't be noticed by most users anyway...

Malte.


Frank Loehmann wrote, On 11/11/10 17:53:

>  Hi Cor, all,
>
> I have updated the wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>
>
> First version has strong focus on places.
>
> Am 10.11.2010 00:37, schrieb Cor Nouws:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:
>>
>>> OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files.
>>> Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs
>>> are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre
>>> configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be
>>> specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these
>>> dialogs here:
>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Feedback welcome.
>>
>> I see no data on the wiki about the keyboard behaviour.
>> Obviously, this ís the most important ;-)
>>
>> From the wiki: "Path shows icon of current place and a drop down with
>> a list of all available places. (show only if places are hidden?) "
>>  I think so yes, only show it when places are hidden.
> Yep, one point is sufficient.
>>
>> Question: would it be possible to assign Alt-left/right to make the
>> column Title wider if the focus is in the list?
> Not sure if it is possible to focus the splitting window or how columns
> can be changed via keyboard.
>
> @Éric: Is this possible or do we have at least an issue for that?
>
>>
>> For the rest, only compliments.
>>
> Thanks
>
> Frank
>> Regards,
>> Cor
>>
>>
>
>
> --
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/>
> Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
> Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
> Oracle OFFICE GBU
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
> Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
>
>
>
> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
> protect the environment
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi Malte,

Am 12.11.2010 um 13:42 schrieb Malte Timmermann:

> I understand that people like to improve or own file dialogs, but I am
> not sure how important this is, nor how many people would recognize it.

You should know :-) Today we have to add menu entries to the File menu for each (web dav) location, because there is only one home location supported today.
>
> The default is the system dialog, and it should of course stay this way.

Sure. We always want to be a good citizen on the system.
>
> Now - how many people will actually change the option to use the OOo
> dialogs? Do we have user tracking data for this?

Not many.
>
> From a developer / OOo code base perspective, I even would like to get
> rid of the self-made file dialogs at all. Lot's of maintenance for
> different OS / file system features.
>
Not only from a developer point of view ;-)

> Too bad that we need our dialogs in certain situations (http/WebDav
> locations).

That is the point.
>
> Would be great if we could get the missing functionality into the system
> dialogs somehow, and then don't use own dialogs anymore.

Would be great. I am also not sure if our current system dialog shows all system extensions/integrations today (i.e storage etc.).

> Not sure how realistic this is, but I just wanted to mention this, to
> point out that it's probably not the best place for making big UX
> changes which won't be noticed by most users anyway...

That is why we focus on places.
>
> Malte.
>
Best regards,

Frank

>
> Frank Loehmann wrote, On 11/11/10 17:53:
>> Hi Cor, all,
>>
>> I have updated the wiki page:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>>
>>
>> First version has strong focus on places.
>>
>> Am 10.11.2010 00:37, schrieb Cor Nouws:
>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> On 11/06/10 11:01, Frank Loehmann wrote:
>>>
>>>> OOo provides own platform independent dialogs to load and save files.
>>>> Those are optional (Tools-Options-General), because the system dialogs
>>>> are used by default. The current dialogs do not provide multiple pre
>>>> configured places as entry points. Only a home directory can be
>>>> specified today. Please find a proposal how to add places to these
>>>> dialogs here:
>>>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/FileDialogs
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Feedback welcome.
>>>
>>> I see no data on the wiki about the keyboard behaviour.
>>> Obviously, this ís the most important ;-)
>>>
>>> From the wiki: "Path shows icon of current place and a drop down with
>>> a list of all available places. (show only if places are hidden?) "
>>> I think so yes, only show it when places are hidden.
>> Yep, one point is sufficient.
>>>
>>> Question: would it be possible to assign Alt-left/right to make the
>>> column Title wider if the focus is in the list?
>> Not sure if it is possible to focus the splitting window or how columns
>> can be changed via keyboard.
>>
>> @Éric: Is this possible or do we have at least an issue for that?
>>
>>>
>>> For the rest, only compliments.
>>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Frank
>>> Regards,
>>> Cor
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>>
>> <http://www.oracle.com/>
>> Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
>> Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
>> Oracle OFFICE GBU
>>
>> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg
>>
>> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
>> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
>> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>>
>> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
>> Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
>> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
>> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven
>>
>> <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
>>
>>
>>
>> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
>> protect the environment
>>
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
--


Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 40 23646882
Oracle Open Office Software

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven




Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Places for Own File Open/Save Dialogs

Cor Nouws
In reply to this post by Frank Loehmann-2
Hi Frank,

Frank Loehmann wrote (11-11-10 17:53)
>
> Am 10.11.2010 00:37, schrieb Cor Nouws:

>> Question: would it be possible to assign Alt-left/right to make the
>> column Title wider if the focus is in the list?
> Not sure if it is possible to focus the splitting window or how columns
> can be changed via keyboard.
>
> @Éric: Is this possible or do we have at least an issue for that?

Thanks for your reply on this idea.
But obviously, it is not important enough to really spent time on.

Although I always use the OOo dialogs, I tend to agree with Malte's post.

Best,
Cor


--
  - giving openoffice.org its foundation :: The Document Foundation -


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]