OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Christian Jansen
Hello,
as you might know, a data driven approach [1] is an essential part of
the Renaissance Project [2]. On element is the User Feedback Program
[3]. It collects anonymously data about how OpenOffice.org is used. This
information is used to better understand how people use OpenOffice.org.
Especially with regards to the user interface.

The extension is now available for public beta testing
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback

How can you support the Renaissance Project?

This is simple.

Download the extension, give it a try. Provide Feedback.

Please be aware, that the use of these Beta builds has risks associated
with it. Don't use them with production data, as data loss and other
scary things can occur. The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta
runs as an extension for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1

Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires a
Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1 [4].

A list of known Bugs can be found here [5]


Thanks for your support,
Christian

[1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1
[2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
[3] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
[4] http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
[5]
http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT&issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_type=FEATURE&issue_type=PATCH&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&issue_status=RESOLVED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=OpenOffice+Improvement+program%3A&short_desc_type=allwords&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwords&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=fulltext&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=fulltext&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=mail+merge+1&newqueryname=&order=%27Importance%27&Submit+query=Submit+query

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Olaf Felka
Hi,

I'm just a little confused. What is true?
"The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta runs as an extension
for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1"
or
"Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires a
Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1"?

Groetjes
Olaf



Christian Jansen wrote:

> Hello,
> as you might know, a data driven approach [1] is an essential part of
> the Renaissance Project [2]. On element is the User Feedback Program
> [3]. It collects anonymously data about how OpenOffice.org is used. This
> information is used to better understand how people use OpenOffice.org.
> Especially with regards to the user interface.
>
> The extension is now available for public beta testing
> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>
> How can you support the Renaissance Project?
>
> This is simple.
>
> Download the extension, give it a try. Provide Feedback.
>
> Please be aware, that the use of these Beta builds has risks associated
> with it. Don't use them with production data, as data loss and other
> scary things can occur. The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta
> runs as an extension for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1
>
> Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires a
> Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1 [4].
>
> A list of known Bugs can be found here [5]
>
>
> Thanks for your support,
> Christian
>
> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1
> [2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
> [3] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
> [4] http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
> [5]
> http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT&issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_type=FEATURE&issue_type=PATCH&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&issue_status=RESOLVED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=OpenOffice+Improvement+program%3A&short_desc_type=allwords&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwords&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=fulltext&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=fulltext&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=mail+merge+1&newqueryname=&order=%27Importance%27&Submit+query=Submit+query 
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


http://www.openoffice.org/
http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH           Olaf Felka
Nagelsweg 55                    Quality Assurance Engineer
20097 Hamburg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Christian Jansen
Hello Olaf,

Olaf Felka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm just a little confused. What is true?
> "The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta runs as an extension
> for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1"
> or
> "Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires a
> Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1"?

Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the RC Builds of OOo 3.0.1
Btw. Where do I find the RC2?

Here it comes:
http://download.openoffice.org/3.0.1rc1/index.html

-- Christian

>
> Groetjes
> Olaf
>
>
>
> Christian Jansen wrote:
>> Hello,
>> as you might know, a data driven approach [1] is an essential part of
>> the Renaissance Project [2]. On element is the User Feedback Program
>> [3]. It collects anonymously data about how OpenOffice.org is used.
>> This information is used to better understand how people use
>> OpenOffice.org.
>> Especially with regards to the user interface.
>>
>> The extension is now available for public beta testing
>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>>
>> How can you support the Renaissance Project?
>>
>> This is simple.
>>
>> Download the extension, give it a try. Provide Feedback.
>>
>> Please be aware, that the use of these Beta builds has risks
>> associated with it. Don't use them with production data, as data loss
>> and other scary things can occur. The OpenOffice.org User Feedback
>> Extension Beta runs as an extension for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1
>>
>> Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires a
>> Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1 [4].
>>
>> A list of known Bugs can be found here [5]
>>
>>
>> Thanks for your support,
>> Christian
>>
>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1
>> [2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
>> [3] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>> [4] http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
>> [5]
>> http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT&issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_type=FEATURE&issue_type=PATCH&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&issue_status=RESOLVED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=OpenOffice+Improvement+program%3A&short_desc_type=allwords&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwords&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=fulltext&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=fulltext&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=mail+merge+1&newqueryname=&order=%27Importance%27&Submit+query=Submit+query 
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
> http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html 
>
>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Olaf Felka
In reply to this post by Christian Jansen
Hi,

Christian Jansen wrote:

> Hello Olaf,
>
> Olaf Felka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm just a little confused. What is true?
>> "The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta runs as an extension
>> for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1"
>> or
>> "Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires
>> a Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1"?
>
> Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the RC Builds of OOo 3.0.1
> Btw. Where do I find the RC2?

The upload is still ongoing. But that doesn't answer my question.
which version should be used for testing?

Regards,
Olaf

>
> Here it comes:
> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0.1rc1/index.html
>
> -- Christian
>>
>> Groetjes
>> Olaf
>>
>>
>>
>> Christian Jansen wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> as you might know, a data driven approach [1] is an essential part of
>>> the Renaissance Project [2]. On element is the User Feedback Program
>>> [3]. It collects anonymously data about how OpenOffice.org is used.
>>> This information is used to better understand how people use
>>> OpenOffice.org.
>>> Especially with regards to the user interface.
>>>
>>> The extension is now available for public beta testing
>>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>>>
>>> How can you support the Renaissance Project?
>>>
>>> This is simple.
>>>
>>> Download the extension, give it a try. Provide Feedback.
>>>
>>> Please be aware, that the use of these Beta builds has risks
>>> associated with it. Don't use them with production data, as data loss
>>> and other scary things can occur. The OpenOffice.org User Feedback
>>> Extension Beta runs as an extension for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1
>>>
>>> Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires
>>> a Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1 [4].
>>>
>>> A list of known Bugs can be found here [5]
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks for your support,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1
>>> [2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
>>> [3] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>>> [4] http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
>>> [5]
>>> http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT&issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_type=FEATURE&issue_type=PATCH&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&issue_status=RESOLVED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=OpenOffice+Improvement+program%3A&short_desc_type=allwords&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwords&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=fulltext&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=fulltext&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=mail+merge+1&newqueryname=&order=%27Importance%27&Submit+query=Submit+query 
>>>
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>
>>
>>
>> http://www.openoffice.org/
>> http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html 
>>
>>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


http://www.openoffice.org/
http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html

--

Sun Microsystems GmbH           Olaf Felka
Nagelsweg 55                    Quality Assurance Engineer
20097 Hamburg

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Christian Jansen
Olaf Felka wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Christian Jansen wrote:
>> Hello Olaf,
>>
>> Olaf Felka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm just a little confused. What is true?
>>> "The OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension Beta runs as an extension
>>> for OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 or 3.1"
>>> or
>>> "Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires
>>> a Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1"?
>>
>> Sorry, I forgot to add the link to the RC Builds of OOo 3.0.1
>> Btw. Where do I find the RC2?
>
> The upload is still ongoing. But that doesn't answer my question. which
> version should be used for testing?

Both, please. 3.0.1 is important, but also 3.1.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Christian

>
> Regards,
> Olaf
>
>>
>> Here it comes:
>> http://download.openoffice.org/3.0.1rc1/index.html
>>
>> -- Christian
>>>
>>> Groetjes
>>> Olaf
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Christian Jansen wrote:
>>>> Hello,
>>>> as you might know, a data driven approach [1] is an essential part
>>>> of the Renaissance Project [2]. On element is the User Feedback
>>>> Program [3]. It collects anonymously data about how OpenOffice.org
>>>> is used. This information is used to better understand how people
>>>> use OpenOffice.org.
>>>> Especially with regards to the user interface.
>>>>
>>>> The extension is now available for public beta testing
>>>> http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>>>>
>>>> How can you support the Renaissance Project?
>>>>
>>>> This is simple.
>>>>
>>>> Download the extension, give it a try. Provide Feedback.
>>>>
>>>> Please be aware, that the use of these Beta builds has risks
>>>> associated with it. Don't use them with production data, as data
>>>> loss and other scary things can occur. The OpenOffice.org User
>>>> Feedback Extension Beta runs as an extension for OpenOffice.org
>>>> 3.0.1 or 3.1
>>>>
>>>> Please note that the OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension requires
>>>> a Developer Snapshot of OpenOffice.org 3.1 [4].
>>>>
>>>> A list of known Bugs can be found here [5]
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your support,
>>>> Christian
>>>>
>>>> [1] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Phase_1
>>>> [2] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
>>>> [3] http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
>>>> [4] http://download.openoffice.org/680/index.html
>>>> [5]
>>>> http://qa.openoffice.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_type=DEFECT&issue_type=ENHANCEMENT&issue_type=FEATURE&issue_type=PATCH&issue_status=UNCONFIRMED&issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&issue_status=RESOLVED&email1=&emailtype1=exact&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=exact&emailreporter2=1&issueidtype=include&issue_id=&changedin=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=OpenOffice+Improvement+program%3A&short_desc_type=allwords&long_desc=&long_desc_type=allwords&issue_file_loc=&issue_file_loc_type=fulltext&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=fulltext&keywords=&keywords_type=anytokens&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&cmdtype=doit&namedcmd=mail+merge+1&newqueryname=&order=%27Importance%27&Submit+query=Submit+query 
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> http://www.openoffice.org/
>>> http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html 
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/
> http://qa.openoffice.org/ooQAReloaded/FrameworkTeamsite/ooQA-TeamFramework.html 
>
>


--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Christian Jansen
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 884
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Christian Jansen wrote
Both, please. 3.0.1 is important, but also 3.1.
I can't gain access via
<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback>.
AFAICT I am newly registered there, and confirmed, and logged in, but each attempt to visit that URL results in

> You are not authorized to access this page.

However, I did gain the extension from elsewhere. I can't recall where.

I installed the extension whilst running OOo from
OOo_3.0.1rc2_20090112_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg

The problem: now, when I run OOo 3.0, the extension is enabled, and something (presumably this extension designed for 3.0.1) caused 3.0 to fail at Quit time, so I launched again and aimed to disable the extension but doing so causes 3.0 to beach ball requiring a force quit.

I'd like to bug report this issue but to be honest I'm not sure where to do so. The access denied issue described above is probably my first obstacle.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Graham Perrin wrote
I did gain the extension from … I can't recall where.
Safari browsing history reveals
<http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/2009/01/openofficeorg-user-feedback-extension.html> referring to the same <http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback>.

I guess that whereas the other day it was freely available, it's now subject to access restrictions.

I launched [3.0] again and aimed to disable the extension but doing so causes 3.0 to beach ball requiring a force quit.
In 3.0.1rc2_20090112, too, an attempt to disable the extension causes the program to stop responding, requiring a force quit. Here's the dialogue that accompanies the problem:



Similarly, an attempt to remove the extension causes a problem, probably the same.

So, am I fairly stuck with it, or is there a simple approach to dealing with extensions that can not be removed?

TIA
Graham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Hmm. I removed the contents of
~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/
and now all that remains are the three spelling-related extensions. I had a number of others installed, but they're all gone.

OOo use of a cache seems to differ from my definition of a cache. I never imagined that clearing a cache could lead to apparent removal of features/extensions.

Best I stop now. Not a successful day :(
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Christian Jansen
Graham Perrin wrote:

> Hmm. I removed the contents of
> ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/
> and now all that remains are the three spelling-related extensions. I had a
> number of others installed, but they're all gone.
>
> OOo use of a cache seems to differ from my definition of a cache. I never
> imagined that clearing a cache could lead to apparent removal of
> features/extensions.
>
> Best I stop now. Not a successful day :(


Sorry for the bad experience you've had with the extionsion.
This example points perfectly out that we need a feature like a safe
mode for extension (-> see mozilla firefox, or thunderbird).

I've filed a bug on that:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=98302

Regards,
Christian

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Frank Loehmann
In reply to this post by Graham Perrin
Hi Graham,

Sounds like you have installed an OOo 3.0.1 build beside OOo 3.0 (-a
option?). If you have done so, you might have to change the installation
path for the user installation in the "bootstrap.ini" _before_ starting
OOo 3.0.1:

        UserInstallation=$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3
 i.e. ->                =$SYSUSERCONFIG/OpenOffice.org/3test

Otherwise 3.0.1 will use the same user installation directory that OOo
3.0 already uses. Then your 3.0.1 extension is also being installed for
your 3.0 installation. This is no good idea, if the extension does not
run with OOo 3.0 and causes 3.0 to crash...

Currently we only check the version of the installed Office, when
installing new extensions. Maybe we should think about doing a version
check also before executing extensions. If we would do so, we could
disable such extensions. Furthermore extensions running mad must be
disabled on next start-up IMHO (as Christian stated we need a "save
mode"). Any normal user would be doomed if OOo will not start anymore. I
for myself have made this experience after uninstalling a StarOffice
update. The previous version of SO was not able to run the extension
installed for testing purpose anymore... To uninstall the extension in
such a case you can manually remove the extension in cache folder (like
you did) or start the extension manager standalone via command line
interface.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Frank

Graham Perrin wrote:

> Hmm. I removed the contents of
> ~/Library/Application Support/OpenOffice.org/3/user/uno_packages/cache/
> and now all that remains are the three spelling-related extensions. I had a
> number of others installed, but they're all gone.
>
> OOo use of a cache seems to differ from my definition of a cache. I never
> imagined that clearing a cache could lead to apparent removal of
> features/extensions.
>
> Best I stop now. Not a successful day :(
>  

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Frank Loehmann
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience StarOffice
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 882
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.de                    mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sun Microsystems GmbH,Sonnenallee 1,
D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten, Amtsgericht Muenchen:  HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Martin Damboldt
In reply to this post by Graham Perrin
Hi Graham,

sorry for your bad experience and the late notice. Also due to the
issues some people faced with the current version of the extension, we
just took the extension down from the Extension Repository. Thats why
you can't access it there anymore.

Stay tuned for further informations around the availability of the User
Feedback functions.

best regards,
Martin

On 20.01.09 18:33, Graham Perrin wrote:

> Christian Jansen wrote:
>  
>> Both, please. 3.0.1 is important, but also 3.1.
>>
>>    
>
> I can't gain access via
> <http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback>.
> AFAICT I am newly registered there, and confirmed, and logged in, but each
> attempt to visit that URL results in
>
>  
>> You are not authorized to access this page.
>>    
>
> However, I did gain the extension from elsewhere. I can't recall where.
>
> I installed the extension whilst running OOo from
> OOo_3.0.1rc2_20090112_MacOSXIntel_install_en-US.dmg
>
> The problem: now, when I run OOo 3.0, the extension is enabled, and
> something (presumably this extension designed for 3.0.1) caused 3.0 to fail
> at Quit time, so I launched again and aimed to disable the extension but
> doing so causes 3.0 to beach ball requiring a force quit.
>
> I'd like to bug report this issue but to be honest I'm not sure where to do
> so. The access denied issue described above is probably my first obstacle.
>  

--
**************************************************************************
Martin Damboldt                  Tel: +49 40 23646 874
Program Manager StarOffice       Fax: +49 40 23646 550
Sun Microsystems GmbH            mailto:[hidden email]
Nagelsweg 55                     http://www.sun.com/StarOffice
20097 Hamburg - Germany

Sitz der Gesellschaft:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering
**************************************************************************

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Christian Jansen wrote
Sorry for the bad experience you've had with the extionsion. This example points perfectly out that we need a feature like a safe mode for extension (- see mozilla firefox, or thunderbird).

I've filed a bug on that:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=98302


Martin Damboldt wrote
Hi Graham,

sorry for your bad experience and the late notice. Also due to the issues some people faced with the current version of the extension, we just took the extension down from the Extension Repository. Thats why you can't access it there anymore.

Stay tuned for further informations around the availability of the User Feedback functions.

best regards,
Martin
My thanks to both Christian and Martin. My apologies to list for venting steam that should have been more properly expressed in a bug report. The confused unavailability of the extension made me hesitate before using Bugzilla.

we need a feature like a safe mode for extension
+1

I had the same thought after venting steam.

Is this requirement, for a safe mode of some sort, expressed in Bugzilla?

(If we have no handy reference to safe mode, I'll search.)

Graham Perrin wrote
all gone.
I can cautiously retrieve from my Time Machine backup. Not a showstopper.

Now, over to <http://n2.nabble.com/-tt2233897.html> …

Regards
Graham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenOffice.org Usage Feedback Extension 1.0-Mac with release 3.0.1, DEV300m40 and DEV300m41

Graham Perrin
Administrator
In reply to this post by Martin Damboldt
Christian Jansen wrote
The extension is now available for public beta testing
http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback
— 13 January

Martin Damboldt wrote
… due to the issues some people faced with the current version of the extension, we just took the extension down from the Extension Repository. Thats why you can't access it there anymore.

Stay tuned for further informations around the availability of the User Feedback functions.
— 21 January

OpenOffice.org 3.0.1 OOO300m15 (Build:9379) was released
~ 29 January

<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/project/OOo_User_Feedback> remains 'not authorized' but
<http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/search/node/feedback> offers a few matches including the contradictorily-named

> OpenOffice.org User Feedback Extension for Windows 1.0-Mac
> Operating System: MacOS X

— which downloads as OOoImprovement.oxt

Key point:

* I would like to extend my OOo; to provide feedback.

Here, I prefer OOo-dev 3.0.0 DEV300m40 (Build:9381) (enjoying the keyboard-related fixes, without which I don't use the application). <http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/new_ooo_dev_3_12> describes this as a _3.1_ Developer Snapshot but an attempt to extend with OOoImprovement.oxt responds that a _3.0.1_ dependency is not fulfilled.

<http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=98168> notes that a fix has not been integrated to m40 and I guess that (less preferred) OOo-dev 3.0.0 DEV300m41 (Build:9383) is similarly bugged; an attempt to extend results in the the same dependency error.

========
QUESTION
========

If I extend (least preferred) release 3.0.1 with OOoImprovement.oxt
then quit from 3.0.1
then proceed with (most preferred) OOo-dev 3.0.0 DEV300m40 (Build:9381)
how might DEV300m40 behave? I imagine three outcomes:

a) DEV300m40 runs, but does not load OpenOffice.org Usage Feedback Extension 1.0-Mac

b) DEV300m40 runs, and makes good use of OpenOffice.org Usage Feedback Extension 1.0-Mac

c) DEV300m40 runs, but behaviour with OpenOffice.org Usage Feedback Extension 1.0-Mac is bugged or unpredictable.

(In any case (a) (b) or (c) I should not attempt to use the Extension Manager dialogue of DEV300m40 for this particular extension.)

Issue 98168 is verified fixed for Windows XP (not for Mac OS X); the issue mentions native220 but from <http://eis.services.openoffice.org/EIS2/cws.ShowCWS?Path=DEV300%2Fnative220> I can't guess what's next.

TIA for any advice.

Regards
Graham
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OpenOffice.org safe mode — for a more reliable Extension Manager

Graham Perrin
Administrator
In reply to this post by Graham Perrin