Open office interface.

David Short
Hello,

Sorry to bother you with an observation so far into your Renaissance
project, I've only just become aware of it and noticed that all the
submissions fail on a very basic level which frustrates me witm many of the
programes I've used.  That is maximising the screen space of what you are
working on.

Word processing is the biggest offender in this department, specifically
when working on a portrait oriented document, to lose so much of your
vertical space to menus and to leave so much dead space on the side is a
tremendous oversight.  This is exaggerated more so when using a 16:9
monitor.

The only submission which comes close to addressing this is the "Hybrid UI"
in 16:9 layout, yet it still keeps top menu bars.

To my mind what ever I'm working on comes first and the rest should fit
around it, if I'm switching from portrait to landscape I'm happy to have the
interface change to accommodate, the interface should always be seen as
being in support of the main work, not the dominant part.

If possible I'd push main menus, title bar, information panels (including OS
imposed ones) out of the way, otherwise you lose a large percentage of your
screen space to mostly unused items.  Feedback and information on what is
being done should not take away from it.

I see the base division in allocation of screen/work space as;
What goes into or is used in making something.
What is being made
What is needed to out put it.
It should then flow left to right or top to bottom depending on orientation
or aspect ratio of your work and assuming you read left to right and top to
bottom, language versions may work better flowing in a different direction.

I've spent a few hours skimming through your wiki and looking at what is
happening, it's hard to see which way you are going, I hope that you make it
modular enough to accommodate.  I find the current version somewhat kind in
that the menus can be shifted to the side, but they suffer in apperance and
missing information.

I hope this makes sense and is of use, not just noise.  If it is unclear I
could mock up something, I did not as i saw I'm months behind your
submission date.

Regards,

David Short

Re: Open office interface.

Christoph Noack-4
Hi David,

thanks for your feedback and your explanations. Although there hasn't
been a reply yet, we continue to consume this information. So it is not
the noise you talked about, its valuable feedback!

Am Sonntag, den 20.09.2009, 17:33 +0200 schrieb David Short:
> I've spent a few hours skimming through your wiki and looking at what
> is happening, it's hard to see which way you are going, I hope that
> you make it modular enough to accommodate.  I find the current version
> somewhat kind in that the menus can be shifted to the side, but they
> suffer in apperance and missing information.

You are right. Currently the wiki pages don't cover the current
activities very well - at least there is the "what-is-hot"-box below the
headline and the current project tasks [0].

Maybe the blogs are better suited to "track" the current steps ([1],
[2]). I'm sorry not to add the UX Planet since it has been mixed up
somehow.

And of course there are the regular IRC meetings featuring the chat log
and updated action items [3].

By the way, if you have any proposal how we can improve the wiki or the
communication in general - then please tell us. Sometimes it is easy as
adding something to the FAQ like "How to get information on what is
going on?".

> I hope this makes sense and is of use, not just noise.  If it is
> unclear I
> could mock up something, I did not as i saw I'm months behind your
> submission date.

Since I'm currently not so deep involved I don't know whether mockups
are really required. Thus, please check back regularly and provide
feedback for the things which will be presented in the near future. The
next step of Frank is - as far as I know - to provide some information
on the usage data we collect.

Bye,
Christoph

PS: I know that there are other (unanswered) feedback mails on this
list. Instead of answering them individually, I would like to say a big
thank you to all who provided their thoughts!

[0] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance
[1] http://uxopenofficeorg.blogspot.com/
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/tags/renaissance
[3] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Status_Meetings