OOo Defaults

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

OOo Defaults

Vamsi Kodali-2
Some time ago there was a call for suggestions for better default
settings... As I was working on some paper in the past few weeks I thought
of something that I feel would certainly help a lot of scientific writers.
In my writing, I use several symbols (or special characters); mostly greek
letters like alpha, beta, etc and symbols for degree celsius, plus/minus,
etc. So, instead of going to the menu (Insert > Special Character) every
time I need to insert a symbol, I decided to put a button for symbols on my
toolbar. One way I think this button could be enhanced is to make it more
like the button for font color or font background. There is a little
dropdown arrow next to the font color/background buttons that opens a little
grid of colors to choose from. This arrangement is very convenient for
changing colors. I think it would be nice to have such a grid for symbols
also. A toolbar button for Symbols would not exist by default but if a user
chooses to put it then, I think, having a button+dropdown system would be
more useful.

What do you think?
Vamsi.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Andreas Bartel-2
Hi Vamsi,

not that quickly achievable by just changing some defaults but a good idea in general. We hope that there will be a new UI control available soon for a similar solution as you described it below. I think your suggestion to make such an arrangement optional is a good way to keep complexity out of everyday work for those who focus on other tasks.

Thanks a lot! We will put your suggestion on the list.

Regards,
Andreas

Am 30.09.2010 um 16:11 schrieb Vamsi Kodali:

> Some time ago there was a call for suggestions for better default
> settings... As I was working on some paper in the past few weeks I thought
> of something that I feel would certainly help a lot of scientific writers.
> In my writing, I use several symbols (or special characters); mostly greek
> letters like alpha, beta, etc and symbols for degree celsius, plus/minus,
> etc. So, instead of going to the menu (Insert > Special Character) every
> time I need to insert a symbol, I decided to put a button for symbols on my
> toolbar. One way I think this button could be enhanced is to make it more
> like the button for font color or font background. There is a little
> dropdown arrow next to the font color/background buttons that opens a little
> grid of colors to choose from. This arrangement is very convenient for
> changing colors. I think it would be nice to have such a grid for symbols
> also. A toolbar button for Symbols would not exist by default but if a user
> chooses to put it then, I think, having a button+dropdown system would be
> more useful.
>
> What do you think?
> Vamsi.


Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven



Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Irné Barnard
In reply to this post by Vamsi Kodali-2
  -------- Original Message  --------
Subject: [ux-discuss] OOo Defaults
From: Vamsi Kodali <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Date: 2010-09-30 16:11:07

> Some time ago there was a call for suggestions for better default
> settings... As I was working on some paper in the past few weeks I thought
> of something that I feel would certainly help a lot of scientific writers.
> In my writing, I use several symbols (or special characters); mostly greek
> letters like alpha, beta, etc and symbols for degree celsius, plus/minus,
> etc. So, instead of going to the menu (Insert>  Special Character) every
> time I need to insert a symbol, I decided to put a button for symbols on my
> toolbar. One way I think this button could be enhanced is to make it more
> like the button for font color or font background. There is a little
> dropdown arrow next to the font color/background buttons that opens a little
> grid of colors to choose from. This arrangement is very convenient for
> changing colors. I think it would be nice to have such a grid for symbols
> also. A toolbar button for Symbols would not exist by default but if a user
> chooses to put it then, I think, having a button+dropdown system would be
> more useful.
>
> What do you think?
> Vamsi.
>

Do you think it should update the order of these characters? E.g. the
most / last used at the top? Or should it be possible for the user to
specify which Unicode sub-range should be displayed? I'm just thinking
scrolling up/down may become an issue if it simply shows a grid as per
the normal Unicode Character Map. Or alternatively it should remember
the scrolled position from last time.

You see in most of my writing I use the diameter symbol ø, degrees °,
plus-minus ±, etc. quite a lot. Not to mention accented Roman characters
(like the accuted e in my name). So I find myself constantly skipping
between Latin-1, Latin Extended-A, etc.

Also, would this grid be pertinent to only the font at the cursor
position? Note some fonts have more available characters than others.

--
Regards Irné Barnard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Vamsi Kodali-2
Irne,

Checkout the mockup I made at http://flic.kr/p/8Fj1FC
The 'Combo Box' on the top right corner should read something like 'Latin
A', 'Greek', etc.
The font name is selected based on which font the user is currently using...
pretty much like the way it is now when one goes to the special characters
dialog box. The font size can be small - 10 may be a good place to start so
that the dropdown list is not occupying a lot of space and a grid with 8
characters in each row should be good.
The bottom most row separated from the top grid by a horizontal rule shows
the history of last 8 characters used...

Vamsi.
PS. I made the mockup at www.balsamiq.com; and I can give the xml file if
you or anyone else would like to make some changes/suggestions/etc.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Andreas Bartel-2
Hi Vamsi,

the mock-up is not bad! I like it. It's definitely something we can start working with.

Thanks a lot!
Andreas


Am 30.09.2010 um 17:27 schrieb Vamsi Kodali:

> Irne,
>
> Checkout the mockup I made at http://flic.kr/p/8Fj1FC
> The 'Combo Box' on the top right corner should read something like 'Latin
> A', 'Greek', etc.
> The font name is selected based on which font the user is currently using...
> pretty much like the way it is now when one goes to the special characters
> dialog box. The font size can be small - 10 may be a good place to start so
> that the dropdown list is not occupying a lot of space and a grid with 8
> characters in each row should be good.
> The bottom most row separated from the top grid by a horizontal rule shows
> the history of last 8 characters used...
>
> Vamsi.
> PS. I made the mockup at www.balsamiq.com; and I can give the xml file if
> you or anyone else would like to make some changes/suggestions/etc.


Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven



Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Vamsi Kodali-2
Thanks Andreas! Unfortunately, mock-up is pretty much all I can do... I
am an end-user with zero programming knowledge.

Vamsi.

On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 17:34 +0200, Andreas Bartel wrote:
> Hi Vamsi,
>
> the mock-up is not bad! I like it. It's definitely something we can start working with.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Andreas
>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: OOo Defaults

Andreas Bartel-2
Hey Vamsi,

no worries, mock-ups is what we need! The more the better! Usually in design it is said that out of 1000 ideas you get 100 interesting. Out of the 100 interesting you might get 3 - 5 worth trying to implement. And out of those 3 - 5 mockups, you might end up with 1 brilliant solution. So consider your contribution done for today :-). It's good to have someone who can actually provide ideas in such an "objective" low-fi prototype, avoiding all the "I'm so pretty" photoshop pitching.

However, my feeling is that your mock-up belongs to the group of 3 - 5 worth trying. I will put the issue on the Project Renaissance list.

Thanks a lot!
Andreas

Am 01.10.2010 um 13:29 schrieb Vamsi Kodali:

> Thanks Andreas! Unfortunately, mock-up is pretty much all I can do... I
> am an end-user with zero programming knowledge.
>
> Vamsi.
>
> On Thu, 2010-09-30 at 17:34 +0200, Andreas Bartel wrote:
>> Hi Vamsi,
>>
>> the mock-up is not bad! I like it. It's definitely something we can start working with.
>>
>> Thanks a lot!
>> Andreas
>>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603

Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven



Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment





---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]