OO-suggestions

Artur R
Hi, i have recently found out about the new interface prototype and wanted
to share few of my thoughts.

The main window looks similar to the prototype.
Buttons are arranged in tabs and containers.
On each tab, there are containers with buttons, wich can be easily
rearranged(both containers and buttons).
By dragging the containers out of the tabs they change in to separate
windows.
http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5323/ooarmidle.jpg

It's useful when you want to use tools located on different tabs.
There should be easy way to make custom containers with favorite
tools/buttons(normal and script buttons).

There should be two predefined and one custome height of the main area:
-Fully opened- all buttons are visible
http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4853/ooarfull.jpg

-Mini mode- All containers and buttons are placed in one line, some labels
are removed from buttons(such as copy paste-the rather obvious) to fit the
screen.
http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8506/ooarmini.jpg

-Flexible height-something between the full and mini mode. One the bottom of
the containers(if it does not fit in the area) appears an additional button
to open it.
http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/56/ooar.jpg

Changing between states should be just by dragging the border.
The location(top, left, right, bottom) of the main area with the buttons
should also be easily modified.
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8043/ooarside.jpg

Re: OO-suggestions

Bernd Eilers

Hi there!

Artur R wrote:

> Hi, i have recently found out about the new interface prototype and wanted
> to share few of my thoughts.
>
> The main window looks similar to the prototype.
> Buttons are arranged in tabs and containers.
> On each tab, there are containers with buttons, wich can be easily
> rearranged(both containers and buttons).
> By dragging the containers out of the tabs they change in to separate
> windows.
> http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/5323/ooarmidle.jpg

I kind of like that idea. Reminds me of a feature that tk/tcl menus had
where you could drag out a submenu and place it somewhere on the screen.

> It's useful when you want to use tools located on different tabs.
> There should be easy way to make custom containers with favorite
> tools/buttons(normal and script buttons).

*hmm* I think we do already have the "Start" Category as the Catagory to
choose most used functions from. This might than also serve as the users
favorite tools container. Probably it would than already be enough to
make that "Start" Category configurable alone.

> There should be two predefined and one custome height of the main area:
> -Fully opened- all buttons are visible
> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4853/ooarfull.jpg
>
> -Mini mode- All containers and buttons are placed in one line, some labels
> are removed from buttons(such as copy paste-the rather obvious) to fit the
> screen.
> http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8506/ooarmini.jpg

this link is broken!

I only get:

503 Service Unavailable
No server is available to handle this request.

> -Flexible height-something between the full and mini mode. One the bottom of
> the containers(if it does not fit in the area) appears an additional button
> to open it.
> http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/56/ooar.jpg

I think this is getting to complicated to open the sub-containers or
sub-groups like "Clipboard" of containers like "Start" individually.

I think it´s better to open a larger window containing everything/every
sub-group for the whole "Start" Category.

> Changing between states should be just by dragging the border.
> The location(top, left, right, bottom) of the main area with the buttons
> should also be easily modified.
> http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/8043/ooarside.jpg

An additional side location might be an option possibly added also with
an additional dragged out of the window location. OOo generally already
has a concept of Dockable Windows which is used for the gallery and the
navigator for example.

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers

Re: OO-suggestions

Artur R
2009/7/29 Bernd Eilers <[hidden email]>

>> There should be two predefined and one custome height of the main area:
>> -Fully opened- all buttons are visible
>> http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/4853/ooarfull.jpg
>>
>> -Mini mode- All containers and buttons are placed in one line, some labels
>> are removed from buttons(such as copy paste-the rather obvious) to fit the
>> screen.
>> http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/8506/ooarmini.jpg
>>

> this link is broken!
>
> I only get:
>
> 503 Service Unavailable
> No server is available to handle this request.

hmm, It is my favorite mode so i reuploaded it:
 http://img61.imageshack.us/img61/8187/mini2.jpg

>> -Flexible height-something between the full and mini mode. One the bottom
>> of
>> the containers(if it does not fit in the area) appears an additional
>> button
>> to open it.
>> http://img160.imageshack.us/img160/56/ooar.jpg
>>

> I think this is getting to complicated to open the sub-containers or
> sub-groups like "Clipboard" of containers like "Start" individually.
>
> I think it愀 better to open a larger window containing everything/every
> sub-group for the whole "Start" Category.

For that is the "fully opend" mode. But when you are in the "flexible" mode
the user chooses freely the height of the tab menu area. You can expand(for
a short while-one click) the containers wich are to big to fit in the tab
menu space to get to the rarely used tools that area on the bottom of a
container instead of opening all the containers.
I now its a little complicated but it would be a nice option.