Non Modal Message System for OOo

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi,

The current version of OpenOffice.org uses modal dialogs to give feedback in many situations. This interrupts users every time such a dialog is shown. We have discussed this many times at the OpenOffice.org UX team and Christoph already made some mock-ups way back. Furthermore there are several implementation out there handling this mode less notification in other applications for a long time. So no rocket science but very helpful new UI controls to improve our user interaction.

Please have a look at the following wiki page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem

The designs are not final.

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,

Frank

--

Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi,

I have added a list of situations when this notification system could be
used:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem

Feel free to post or add some more to the wiki.

Best regards,

Frank

Am 23.11.2010 16:04, schrieb Frank Loehmann:

> Hi,
>
> The current version of OpenOffice.org uses modal dialogs to give
> feedback in many situations. This interrupts users every time such a
> dialog is shown. We have discussed this many times at the OpenOffice.org
> UX team and Christoph already made some mock-ups way back. Furthermore
> there are several implementation out there handling this mode less
> notification in other applications for a long time. So no rocket science
> but very helpful new UI controls to improve our user interaction.
>
> Please have a look at the following wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem
>
> The designs are not final.
>
> Feedback welcome.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frank
>
> --
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/>
> Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
> Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
> OracleOFFICE GBU
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG
> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
> Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven
>
> <http://www.oracle.com/commitment>
>

> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
> protect the environment

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Regina Henschel
Hi Frank,

Frank Loehmann schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> I have added a list of situations when this notification system could be
> used:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem
>

> Feel free to post or add some more to the wiki.

I have put some additions on the discussion page.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi Regina,

Thanks for posting. I have added your very valid points to the list.

Best regards,

Frank

Am 29.11.2010 11:56, schrieb Regina Henschel:

> Hi Frank,
>
> Frank Loehmann schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have added a list of situations when this notification system could be
>> used:
>>
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem
>>

>> Feel free to post or add some more to the wiki.
>>

> I have put some additions on the discussion page.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Frank Loehmann

Am 23.11.2010 16:04, schrieb Frank Loehmann:
> Hi,

[...]

> Please have a look at the following wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem
>
> The designs are not final.

Please find some design proposals from Stella at the project wiki page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,

Frank

--
Oracle
Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help
protect the environment

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Frank Loehmann-2

Am 23.11.2010 16:04, schrieb Frank Loehmann:

> The designs are not final.

Please find new design proposals from Stella at the project wiki page:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem

Feedback welcome.

Best regards,

Frank

--
Oracle
Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg

ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: Non Modal Message System for OOo

Vamsi Kodali-2
> Please find some design proposals from Stella at the project wiki page:
>
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Projects/NonModalMessageSystem
>
> Feedback welcome.

Nice designs.

The 'Next' button when there are multiple messages looks a little bit
out of place. It may be nice looking if an 'Arrow' button appears in the
place of 'Close message' button when there are multiple messages,.. just
a thought.

Vamsi.