New project for OpenOffice GUI

François REMY
<BASE href="file://F:\Mes documents\My Stationery\">
Hi all,

What you're doing...

Regarding to many comments I've read about OpenOffice 'Renaissance' project,
I've got the conviction you're going to the wrong direction by trying to implement
a ribbon, because your interface system is simply not adapted to this.

To me, it sounds like a great fiasco. You don't have a beautiful UI and you
shall inevitably suffer from the comparaison with Office 2007/2010.

OpenOffice needs to innovate, not to copy what Microsoft did, because you
will then always be "after" Microsoft. By creating new things, you can change
this fact and become a leading product.

What should you do ?

Here's a project of Graphical User Interface I did this morning for Ooo :

Sorry if it still looks unperfect, I have made this mockup this moring only,
so it may have problems I didn't noticed. But it's already much better than
what I've seen just before.

This project has many pros that your old project doesn't have :

    1. It is pretty usable even on a netbook with a wide but not tall screen
    2. It's not as Microsoft did (i.e. a ribbon tabbed-toolbar). It's different.
    3. It uses things the people know (Menu is still there, the styling bar
        is using simple componants...)

Another great advantage is that you can use Aero on WinVista/Win7 and
still having a beautiful GUI in non-Aero systems like Mac/Unix.

I you're interested, I can send you a layered version of the UI, so that you
can extract the different parts of the image. You'll need Paint.NET to open
the layered file, but this program is free, so it will not be a problem for you.

Please send remarks about this mockup, I'm here for that.

Thanks for reading me to the end,
François Remy

PS: Here's a blog post about that (fr) Pourquoi OpenOffice Renaissance est un fiasco.

Re: New project for OpenOffice GUI

Martin Hanzel
WOW! This is an amazin spin on the sidebar idea!
I can really see this being OOo's new UI!

Some comments, though:
  • The square should be replaced by a color picker, like the one in GIMP, with two squares for the font and highlight color. The background color would be the background of the squares. I hope I explained this right. I also hope that OOo 4 will implement a color picker instead of a palette.
  • The bars right of the square should show the font face, size, and other data that is currently in one of the dialogs (line spacing, etc) This would also get rid of the two comboboxes at the bottom and free up some more space in the sidebar or add additional buttons.
  • As I stated before, to conserve space, some buttons should have multiple states. For example, clicking on the bullets buttons should toggle bullets, clicking twice would toggle numbering, clicking a third time (or right-clicking) would turn it off. Also, clicking twice on one of the alignment buttons should toggle justification of the text, so that text could be justified AND written from the middle, instead of from the left as it is by default.
  • Of course, I'd make the buttons and white boxes (styles) transparent.

All in all, this is, by far, the best sidebar interface I've ever seen. Good work!

-Martin

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:36 PM, François REMY <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Jaron Kuppers
Hi François

I submitted an interface almost exactly like your side bar about a year ago
to the UX list.  After considering the design in detail it becomes quite
difficult to organize effectively all the different panes a user needs to
access.  That was why I transitioned to a tabbed side-bar in my most recent
interface design.  The biggest challenge we face with the UI is including
all the feature-rich content of OOo, and unfortunately, (although I think
your design is nice especially since I had a similar idea) that the sidebar
you submitted will not be able to support all the functionality.

Cheers,
Jaron

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 8:36 AM, François REMY <[hidden email]>wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
> *What you're doing...*
>
> Regarding to many comments I've read about OpenOffice 'Renaissance'
> project,
> I've got the conviction you're going to the wrong direction by trying to
> implement
> a ribbon, because your interface system is simply not adapted to this.
>

> To me, it sounds like a great fiasco. You don't have a beautiful UI and you
> shall inevitably suffer from the comparaison with Office 2007/2010.
>
> OpenOffice needs to innovate, not to copy what Microsoft did, because you
> will then always be "after" Microsoft. By creating new things, you can
> change
> this fact and become a leading product.
>
> *What should you do ?*
>
> Here's a project of Graphical User Interface I did *this morning* for Ooo
> :
>
> Sorry if it still looks unperfect, I have made this mockup this moring
> only,
> so it may have problems I didn't noticed. But it's already much better than
> what I've seen just before.
>
> This project has many pros that your old project doesn't have :
>
>     1. It is pretty usable even on a netbook with a wide but not tall
> screen
>     2. It's not as Microsoft did (i.e. a ribbon tabbed-toolbar). It's
> different.
>     3. It uses things the people know (Menu is still there, the styling bar
>         is using simple componants...)
>
> Another great advantage is that you can use Aero on WinVista/Win7 and
> still having a beautiful GUI in non-Aero systems like Mac/Unix.
>
> I you're interested, I can send you a layered version of the UI, so that
> you
> can extract the different parts of the image. You'll need Paint.NET to open
> the layered file, but this program is free, so it will not be a problem for
> you.
>
> Please send remarks about this mockup, I'm here for that.
>
> Thanks for reading me to the end,
> François Remy
>
> *PS: Here's a blog post about that (fr) Pourquoi OpenOffice Renaissance
> est un fiasco.*
>
>    <[hidden email]>  <http://blogs.developpeur.org/fremycompany>
>
> <http://lachaineverte.fr.msn.com/idees/>

Re: New project for OpenOffice GUI

Martin Hanzel
Regarding the tabbed sidebar, the formatting tools should still be visible
at the top.
I also don't see how the sidebar won't include all of the most-used
features. Lets say that one tab of the sidebar will insert drawing shapes
and contain options like line width and fill. Another will provide options
tor tables and forms, etc. Each tab would have the functionality of a
toolbar, and the user doesn't use more than two to three toolbars at once
anyway. Needless to say, the tabs should be context-sensitive.

-Martin