New on the wiki!

123

Re: New on the wiki! (And how to improve our web presence.)

Clément Pillias

Le 9 févr. 09 à 22:54, Christoph Noack a écrit :

> Although I'm a No-Doer at the moment, my favorite is still "UX Wiki
> Best Practices".

+1 (although the whole wiki needs it)

> But what do the others think, would one wiki page be enough
> incorporating the following information?

I think that each of these points should have its own page (easier to
link in discussion), but we can have a TOC page linking to these
pages, or a page that include all these pages in a single one…

>       * Working with the Wiki
>               * Creating a New Wiki Page
>               * Editing an Existing Wiki Page
>               * Choosing Wiki Page Names

Should be before "Creating a new wiki page"

>               * Signing Wiki Pages (Categories)

Signing and Categories are two distinct matters.

>               * Moving Wiki Pages
>               * Deleting Wiki Pages

Moving/Deleting/Renaming could be grouped.

>       * Further Tips and Hints

Should be at the same level than other pages.

Another thing: I have changed the template {{User Experience
Community}} so that it automatically includes the category "User
Experience Community" instead of "User Experience". I think that it
makes the category "User Experience" simpler to browse. I also
believe that we should create more subcategories, e.g. to group
project-specific pages such as "Proposing a new User Experience
project on OOo".

Clément.

Re: New on the wiki! (And how to improve our web presence.)

Christoph Noack
Hi Clément!

Thank you so much for helping to get the wiki in a better shape.

Am Mittwoch, den 11.02.2009, 15:16 +0100 schrieb Clément Pillias:
> Le 9 févr. 09 à 22:54, Christoph Noack a écrit :
>
> > Although I'm a No-Doer at the moment, my favorite is still "UX Wiki
> > Best Practices".
>
> +1 (although the whole wiki needs it)

I think you're right. I had a short discussion about that topic with Liz
and she proposed to wait for the results of the wiki survey. Most
probably, there will be some best practices for the wiki in general, so
that it would be a pity to invest too much effort. (Only if those
general "guidelines" will be made available in the near future...)

> > But what do the others think, would one wiki page be enough
> > incorporating the following information?
>
> I think that each of these points should have its own page (easier to
> link in discussion), but we can have a TOC page linking to these
> pages, or a page that include all these pages in a single one…
>
> >       * Working with the Wiki
> >               * Creating a New Wiki Page
> >               * Editing an Existing Wiki Page
> >               * Choosing Wiki Page Names
>
> Should be before "Creating a new wiki page"

Mmh, I thought about that. My reasons have been...
      * Page names can be changed rather easily, so it is less "high
        priority" for me.
      * I assumed that we could create a link from the "creating" and
        "editing pages" to "choosing wiki page names". (It is important
        for both sub-sections).

What do you think?

> >               * Signing Wiki Pages (Categories)
>
> Signing and Categories are two distinct matters.

Okay. Maybe something like "Organisation of Pages in the Wiki
(Templates, Categories)"?

> >               * Moving Wiki Pages
> >               * Deleting Wiki Pages
>
> Moving/Deleting/Renaming could be grouped.
>
> >       * Further Tips and Hints
>
> Should be at the same level than other pages.

My assumption was that there is more information than only "Working with
the Wiki". I think this has to be decided when we know more about the
content.

> Another thing: I have changed the template {{User Experience
> Community}} so that it automatically includes the category "User
> Experience Community" instead of "User Experience". I think that it
> makes the category "User Experience" simpler to browse.

Thanks!!!

> I also
> believe that we should create more subcategories, e.g. to group
> project-specific pages such as "Proposing a new User Experience
> project on OOo".

Sorry, it seems a bit late for me - I don't understand that. Do you mean
page categories? And why do we need more UX projects on OOo? ;-)

Have a nice evening,

123