New Writer interface

C Drini
I've been working on a new, easier to use, and simpler interface for Writer.
I can't program, so all I have is an image of what I wanted it to look like.
Take note of the "Search Features" in the top-right-corner. This virtually
eliminates the need for any menus. (created in Inkscape) I like to call it
Stark:

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/1asdfgh/WriterinStark-1.png

The text is just from Writer's wikipedia article. Is it worth developing?
any comments?

P.S. I don't expect the final version to have just text in the Most used
features section, but I'm not that great at icon design, so I just left it
as text.

Re: New Writer interface

Regina Henschel
Hi,

C Drini schrieb:

> I've been working on a new, easier to use, and simpler interface for Writer.
> I can't program, so all I have is an image of what I wanted it to look like.
> Take note of the "Search Features" in the top-right-corner. This virtually
> eliminates the need for any menus. (created in Inkscape) I like to call it
> Stark:
>
> http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m255/1asdfgh/WriterinStark-1.png
>
> The text is just from Writer's wikipedia article. Is it worth developing?
> any comments?

Mmh, I do not see, that it is really better than the existing one.
It is far to high for my netbook.
File menu on the right side is against common practice.
Why do you think page information are better on the top than in the
status bar?
Are "most used" and "recently used" are really needed? I configure my
bars to contain, what I often use.

My wishes for a new interface are:
A quick access not only to paragraph styles (already possible) but also
to character and list styles.
Drop-down lists, which also work if the toolbar is vertical.
Quick load of different configurations on the fly, temporarily  and
across Installations, so that I can transport my configuration to other
PCs and restore their configuration easily.

Kind regards
Regina

Re: New Writer interface

jonathon
C Drini wrote:
> This virtually eliminates the need for any menus.

Right there you are telling  organization that they will be subject to
an a11y lawsuit, which they are going to lose, and lose big time.

Of course, if you don't mind all companies that currently use OOo to
drop it like a hot potatoes, because it blatantly violates a11y
legislation, that is your ndaba.

But for those who think that a11y support is a good thing, regardless of
legal requirements, your idea is best rejected on sight, without further
discussion.

jonathon