Mental Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams

Mental Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Andreas Bartel wrote
 Subject: "Mental Models" by Indi Young, Presentation video on youtube.com

Hi UX folks,

here is link to a nice presentation video on youtube.com. Indi Yound, a UX professional, talks about "Mental Models", a way how to analyze users and generate designs and functionality that serve their needs. This video provides hands-on experience that her book "Mental Models" doesn't. I did read some parts of the book, however, now I am going to dig deeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AsxNg9nNU&feature=related

So, take a look, it is about an hour long. Excellent source for ideas for our current research phase. Comemts and feedback are appriciated.

Best,
Andreas

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
Andreas, thanks. The book's site <http://www.rosenfeldmedia.com/books/mental-models/> also leads to useful information.

Reminds me of a two-year project, Mental Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams, on which two of my colleagues worked.

Re: the research/visits phase, <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:The_Roadmap>, do the UX/Renaissance teams have in mind any particular software titles for analysis of the results?

Regards
Graham

Re: Mental Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams

Andreas Bartel
Graham Perrin schrieb:

> Andreas Bartel wrote:
>
>> Subject: "Mental Models" by Indi Young, Presentation video on youtube.com
>>
>> Hi UX folks,
>>
>> here is link to a nice presentation video on youtube.com. Indi Yound, a UX
>> professional, talks about "Mental Models", a way how to analyze users and
>> generate designs and functionality that serve their needs. This video
>> provides hands-on experience that her book "Mental Models" doesn't. I did
>> read some parts of the book, however, now I am going to dig deeper.
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4AsxNg9nNU&feature=related
>>
>> So, take a look, it is about an hour long. Excellent source for ideas for
>> our current research phase. Comemts and feedback are appriciated.
>>
>> Best,
>> Andreas
>>
>> --
>> Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
>> Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
>> 20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672
>> Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
>> http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]
>>
>> Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
>> Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
>> Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
>> Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring
>>

> Andreas, thanks. The book's site
> <http://www.rosenfeldmedia.com/books/mental-models/> also leads to useful
> information.

Thanks! I have the book :-)
> Reminds me of a two-year project,
> http://www.brighton.ac.uk/centrim/research/projects/mental-models Mental
> Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams ,
> on which two of my colleagues worked.
Very cool project by the way. I did something similar when I was in
Sweden (University of Linköping).

> Re: the research/visits phase,
> <http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:The_Roadmap>, do the
> UX/Renaissance teams have in mind any particular software titles for
> analysis of the results?

Actually Calc :-) I know it's probably not the most convenient tool but
so far it works. At least for the data we get from the surveys. So
quantitative data analysis is done with Calc. Qualitative data, that we
do by "hand". I know of someting called Text Analyser from SPSS. But
that is soooo not free, it costs 4300$. However, I started playing
around with some data mining tools such as RapidMiner Community Edition.
Pretty complex and powerful but it needs long time to figure out how it
actually works. Here is the link, take a look if you're interested:

http://rapid-i.com/content/blogcategory/38/69/lang,en/

If anyone has a clue how to otherwise analyze "natural language", text,
feedback etc. please drop us a mail. Going through thousands of comments
is a hard and time consuming job.

Best,
Andreas
> Regards
> Graham

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Andreas Bartel
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 672

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer

Re: Mental Models and Communication Effectiveness in Multi-Functional Project Teams

Graham Perrin
Administrator
(Thread moved to Renaissance-oriented ui@ux)

Andreas Bartel wrote
… Qualitative data, that we do by "hand". I know of someting called Text Analyser from SPSS. But that is soooo not free, it costs 4300$. However, I started playing around with some data mining tools such as RapidMiner Community Edition. Pretty complex and powerful but it needs long time to figure out how it actually works. Here is the link, take a look if you're interested:

http://rapid-i.com/content/blogcategory/38/69/lang,en/

If anyone has a clue how to otherwise analyze "natural language", text, feedback etc. please drop us a mail. Going through thousands of comments is a hard and time consuming job.

Best,
Andreas
Less costly, we found ATLAS.ti to be best suited to the project at the time.

Thanks for the link to RapidMiner!

Best,
Graham