Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'

Frank Loehmann-2
Hi,

Liz has recently published her notes taken on the informal meeting 'FOSS and Usability' at the LinuxTag in Berlin, Germany:

http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin

Best regards,

Frank

--

Frank Loehmann | User Experience Manager
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 882

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'

John Kaufmann
In a message dated 2010.09.09 09:44 -0500, Frank Loehmann wrote:

> Liz has recently published her notes taken on the informal meeting 'FOSS
> and Usability' at the LinuxTag in Berlin, Germany:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin

Frank, the most useful part of this is the comment by another_sam (who
writes the "Linux for targets" blog) recommending the removal of most
(199 of 232) of the OO.o options
<https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=t5AHRSAlZCln-Uo5Q4tA9cg#gid=0>.
  Thoughtfully done.

John

Re: Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'

Hood Family
Hey - what about people like me that use quite a lot of those options? ☺
Some of them I actually use for the sake of my "target" users.

Alister

John Kaufmann wrote:

> In a message dated 2010.09.09 09:44 -0500, Frank Loehmann wrote:
>
>> Liz has recently published her notes taken on the informal meeting 'FOSS
>> and Usability' at the LinuxTag in Berlin, Germany:
>>
>> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin
>
> Frank, the most useful part of this is the comment by another_sam (who
> writes the "Linux for targets" blog) recommending the removal of most
> (199 of 232) of the OO.o options
> <https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=t5AHRSAlZCln-Uo5Q4tA9cg#gid=0>.
> Thoughtfully done.
>
> John

RE: Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'

Rekenber Glastenheim

I think removal of these functions is not a good option,but displaying a "SIMPLE" options view that will display only the remaining 33 options,and offer an advanced view for the others.
Regards,
Lyon

> Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 08:53:48 +1200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [ux-discuss] Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'
>
> Hey - what about people like me that use quite a lot of those options? ☺
> Some of them I actually use for the sake of my "target" users.
>
> Alister
>
> John Kaufmann wrote:
> > In a message dated 2010.09.09 09:44 -0500, Frank Loehmann wrote:
> >
> >> Liz has recently published her notes taken on the informal meeting 'FOSS
> >> and Usability' at the LinuxTag in Berlin, Germany:
> >>
> >> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/linux_tag_in_berlin
> >
> > Frank, the most useful part of this is the comment by another_sam (who
> > writes the "Linux for targets" blog) recommending the removal of most
> > (199 of 232) of the OO.o options
> > <https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=t5AHRSAlZCln-Uo5Q4tA9cg#gid=0>.
> > Thoughtfully done.
> >
> > John

RE: Meeting Notes 'FOSS and Usability'

Christoph Noack-4
Hi all,

some of you may know that I am currently moving ... so just a short
statement. Some time ago, I've started a wiki page to collect ideas how
to improve the options. At the moment, such a list (or let's say
evaluation) of option items is a missing piece. So if you like, have a
look ...

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Improved_Options

And a direct link to an idea "one pager":
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/w/images/5/53/ImprovedOptions_DesignProposal_ChristophNoack.png

Have a nice day!
Christoph

Am 10.09.2010 03:47, schrieb Lyon Marlu Apostol:

> I think removal of these functions is not a good option,but displaying a "SIMPLE" options view that will display only the remaining 33 options,and offer an advanced view for the others.

This is also my favorite way i.e. like done in Firefox/Thunderbird.
Today I spend more time to think about the reason before introducing a
new option. Most times those options were just introduced as an excuse
because 'we do not know, so let's make it adjustable':

:-) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg1JUZ9wlGU

and if you introduce an option think about a good default:

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/Improving_OOo_Default_Settings

> Regards,
> Lyon

Best regards,