Invite you to try the new sidebar and UI of Symphony Beta

Invite you to try the new sidebar and UI of Symphony Beta

Zhi Yu Yue
I'm possibly a little late here...just come back from vacation and delighted to find some discussion (welcome more and thanks! I will try to catch up soon) on the new UI of Symphony 3.0 Beta 2. This is also the first thing I want to share here after my vacation -- the new sidebar we ever proposed here (http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Sidebar_Proposal_by_IBM) and some other UI enhancements have been included in Symphony 3.0 Beta 2.

It's still not completed yet, but most work has been done...a brief list as below.
1) Use a vertical sidebar to manage all floating windows. Users can switch the floating windows by simply clicking the icons.
2) Drag and drop floating windows to dock/undock the floating windows. Users have the flexibility to arrange the layout if they want to show multiple windows as the same time.
3) Re-implemented the property panels by new design including stacking levels of properties together, visualizing the frequently used properties, and so on. Page layout panel is included in page properties now. We still have several panels to develop in the future.
4) Unified the look and feel of all floating windows to make it more consistent and easier to drag and drop.
5) Some enhancements of style list and clip-art dialog
6) and some miscellaneous UI enhancements, especially for presentation editor.

Not perfect and still much work to do in the future...but has realized part of my dream :-)

Welcome to download and try it, http://symphony.lotus.com, and feedback are much appreciated. We are willing to contribute the code back in the future if you all like this idea.

Best Regards,
Helen Yue

Yue Zhi Yu  |
 Manager of User Experience & Applications, Lotus Symphony |  yuezhiyu@...

Re: Invite you to try the new sidebar and UI of Symphony Beta

Johannes Eva
Hi Helen Yue!

Sorry for the late feedback, I have been very busy recently...
I just wanted to comment on one thing, which I feel is really useful and
exciting: the "extended" dropdown menus. I don't know how to name them,
but I mean the menus which appear when the user clicks e.g. on:
- Character spacing
- Line spacing (NOT the one in the toolbar, it behaves differently!)
- Underline

I would LOVE to see these in OOo!

I also like that the Increase and Decrease font size icons are next to
the Font Size dropdown, unfortunately it's not the case in OOo.

On the other side, I wonder why you have 3 different line spacing icons:
- One toolbar icon
- One icon with dropdown (the one I like most)
- Two line spacing icons!
(for the latter, the label "Spacing:" should be "Line Spacing", maybe?)

Looking forward to see the final release. Congratulations for Symphony 3!
Johannes

--

Johannes Eva

Kölnische Straße 166