Imagine a new car - off topic ?

Bernhard Dippold
Hi all,

I'm more than lucky that we can discuss the goals of Renaissance, it's
way to reach them and negative aspects of interim drafts on these lists
in a constructive way.

But as I try to find pictures and images to explain more complex topics,
I stumbled on a thought I'd like to share with you - perhaps it might be
useful:

I just imagined I had to design a new car:

At the beginning I wanted to find out which engine would be the best
(petrol, hydrogen-oxygen-cell, solar, electricity, hybrid ...), if a
limousine, a coupé, a cabriolet or station wagon would serve my target
audience best, if I should provide four-wheel-drive, automatic gearbox
and so on.

So I created some prototypes and asked people about their opinion using
a detailed survey.

As I didn't want to hide my work from my friends, neighbors and
colleagues, I told them about the prototype (they've been asked for
their thoughts at an earlier stage already) and presented it publicly.

Just a few days later there was a demonstration on the street near my
house. People (some colleagues and neighbors, some friends, others I
didn't know) shouted and held posters:
"Stop copying the new car of MaxiVehicle Ltd.!"
"Your prototype is ugly!"
"I'll never again by a car of your company!"
"I hate sliding doors!"

What happened?

I provided my prototype with sliding doors, because I found out that
they might have some advantages over conventional doors (especially with
children in a small parking space ...). But MaxiVehicle's newest car
also has sliding doors - and these did have real problems (the doors
clattered, they were hard to close, they might even been blown away on
the highway).

A group of people wanted to go to the authorities of our town, because
they thought, my work would do real damage to our city's reputation.
They found supporters telling them that I copied the ugly car from next
town with the dangerous sliding doors.

I tried to tell them, that I wasn't able to decide about the doors at
the present state of development: The car might end up with conventional
doors, reverted doors (opening at the front side) or even gullwing doors.

But I could provide a conventional door knob on whatever door I would
use for the final design.

Did this help?

Before I could find out about it, I waked up...

As always, this is a poor comparison, but the main point I want to tell
you is:

Whether this version will have sidebars, shrinkable buttons, a menu-like
area at the top or anything else (including the possibility to provide
both versions for a transition period, extensions to mimic one or
another intermediate design proposals or the "old" menu structure) -
nobody will be able to tell you at this stage of development. Even if
the so called "Ribbon" is part of the concept, it is not at all the main
topic.

I stop now - don't know if this story can improve our communication...

Best regards

Bernhard

very short PS:
The Renaissance UI will not be implemented in any version to come before
OOo 4.0 (at least) - If some single improvements might find their way in
earlier versions? Who knows...

PPS: If there exists a company called MaxivVehicle: I'm sorry to use
their name - my story has nothing to do with this company, it doesn't
refer to any of their products.

Re: Imagine a new car - off topic ?

Jaron Kuppers
Hi Bernhard,

I think its a great comparison.  IMO it certainly sounds/feels like what has
been transpiring.  Hopefully, people inside/outside the community will
recognize the extent to which the prototype reflects any future reality of
OOo and calm down a little.  What I think is particularly sad is that
sliding doors were implemented in cars, trucks and other applications, long
before MaxiVehicle ever started using them, but everyone always thinks about
how MaxiVehicle made such poorly designed sliding doors when considering
that kind of door in a car.

Cheers,
Jaron

P.S. As an engineer who has worked on fuel cells (and understands how they
will inevitably fail to fix any energy related problems) I hope your car was
battery-electric. ;-)

P.P.S. There is an electric Maxi-scooter but fortunately there isn't a Maxi
car company. :-)

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Bernhard Dippold <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> area at the top or anything else (including the possibility to provide both
> versions for a transition period, extensions to mimic one or another
> intermediate design proposals or the "old" menu structure) - nobody will be
> able to tell you at this stage of development. Even if the so called
> "Ribbon" is part of the concept, it is not at all the main topic.
>
> I stop now - don't know if this story can improve our communication...
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernhard
>
> very short PS:
> The Renaissance UI will not be implemented in any version to come before
> OOo 4.0 (at least) - If some single improvements might find their way in
> earlier versions? Who knows...
>
> PPS: If there exists a company called MaxivVehicle: I'm sorry to use their
> name - my story has nothing to do with this company, it doesn't refer to any

Stefan Weigel
Hallo Bernhard,

I basically second your parable.

My concern is, that OOo is a conventional car, whose concepts
generally satisfy the majority of users, but suffers from countless
little flaws in manufacture. There are so many possibilities for
improvement in detail, many of it not really very difficult to
implement, but each with the potential to boost productivity and
efficiency.

(I don´t need to proove this by pointing to the Issue Tracker, do I?)

So, does it make sense to tie up the project´s resources for
creating a new look & feel? Most of the countless issues, that
hinder people using the product will persist with new sidebars,
menus, buttons or ribbons.

As an industrial engineer I am geared to concentrate resources on
the main bottleneck. The UX team´s dedication is to improve
usability, productivity and enjoyment. I heavily doubt that, in that
case, our conventional UI concepts represent the main bottleneck,
rather do the multitude of bugs and RFEs.

Cheers,
Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org