I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Mike Houben
Hello,

my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
GUI ;)
I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.

So how do you work here?

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Andreas Bartel-2
Hey Mike,

welcome! We are always glad to see new pros joining the UX team. Maybe you can introduce yourself in more details? What do you do exactly? Do you have any specialties or interests such as visual design or interaction design or anything else you're good at and love doing, and eventually sharing?

How do we work? Well, depends what's on vogue. The list is always a good choice to provide feedback to the UX team about anything you are unhappy with. Also, if you have a brilliant idea how to design or redesign some UI elements or how to specify a certain interaction flow for a task, just shout it out on the list. Use the Wiki or anything else you like (flickr, youtube, etc.) to provide screenshots or videos such that others can experience your work and your ideas.

For now, you could check out the latest developer snapshot of OpenOffice.org and tell us what you think about some visual and interaction design improvements in Impress.

Here is the link:

http://download.openoffice.org/next/

Take the DEV300 codeline.

Thanks a lot for joining!
Andreas

Am 30.09.2010 um 13:18 schrieb Mike Houben:

> Hello,
>
> my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
> GUI ;)
> I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.
>
> So how do you work here?

Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Maya

I'm maya and i'm following your discuss. I'm ux désigner with ergonomics studies, i'm 37 years  and i'm french.
I've fit the same question than Mike: please help us to help you !

Thanks

Le 30 sept. 2010 à 13:18, Mike Houben <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
> GUI ;)
> I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.
>
> So how do you work here?

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Andreas Bartel-2
Hi Maya,

you and Mike really make my day :-)

That is awesome! Two new members in just one day!

To keep you busy for today, check out ux.openoffice.org and especially the Project Renaissance wiki pages. Project Renaissance is currently the main activity for a continuous and iterative UX improvements in OpenOffice.org. We have been working on Impress up to now. However, other apps will follow soon.

Please share with us your interests, specialities or anything else that you think might be worth sharing.

Once again, welcome!
Andreas

Am 30.09.2010 um 13:46 schrieb Maya:

> Hi,
>
> I'm maya and i'm following your discuss. I'm ux désigner with ergonomics studies, i'm 37 years  and i'm french.
> I've fit the same question than Mike: please help us to help you !
>
> Thanks
>

> Le 30 sept. 2010 à 13:18, Mike Houben <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
>> GUI ;)
>> I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.
>>
>> So how do you work here?

Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Mike Houben-2
Might be a bad question, but what do you think about a complete GUI
redesign? Make it simpler, more future, more better ?

Mike

Andreas Bartel wrote:

> Hi Maya,
>
> you and Mike really make my day :-)
>
> That is awesome! Two new members in just one day!
>
> To keep you busy for today, check out ux.openoffice.org and especially the Project Renaissance wiki pages. Project Renaissance is currently the main activity for a continuous and iterative UX improvements in OpenOffice.org. We have been working on Impress up to now. However, other apps will follow soon.
>
> Please share with us your interests, specialities or anything else that you think might be worth sharing.
>
> Once again, welcome!
> Andreas
>

> Am 30.09.2010 um 13:46 schrieb Maya:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm maya and i'm following your discuss. I'm ux désigner with ergonomics studies, i'm 37 years  and i'm french.
>> I've fit the same question than Mike: please help us to help you !
>>
>> Thanks
>>

>> Le 30 sept. 2010 à 13:18, Mike Houben<[hidden email]>  a écrit :
>>

>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
>>> GUI ;)
>>> I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.
>>>
>>> So how do you work here?

> Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
> Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
> Oracle OFFICE GBU
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg
>
> ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>
> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
> Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven
>

> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Andreas Bartel-2
Hi Mike,

that's not a bad question at all. Actually, Project Renaissance has the goal to continuously improve how users work with OpenOffice.org. However, a complete GUI redesign, as we found out, requires certain hurdles to be removed first. There just was not one acceptable solution of a new GUI with that many UI elements. Just rearranging the elements does not deliver the required usability improvements, although the UI might become visually more attractive.

In sum, GUI redesign is good, and required in many cases. However, interaction design overhaul is the key for he long run. Smart interactions require less UI elements which give us more design space for a new GUI.

Nonetheless, you are very much welcome to bring in your ideas, be it UI design or interaction design. I've been looking at your website and I have the impression that your visual design skills could be very much appreciated in our project.

So, what ever is on your mind, shoot!

Regerads from Hamburg,

Andreas

Am 30.09.2010 um 14:26 schrieb Mike Houben:

> Might be a bad question, but what do you think about a complete GUI redesign? Make it simpler, more future, more better ?
>
> Mike
>
> Andreas Bartel wrote:
>> Hi Maya,
>>
>> you and Mike really make my day :-)
>>
>> That is awesome! Two new members in just one day!
>>
>> To keep you busy for today, check out ux.openoffice.org and especially the Project Renaissance wiki pages. Project Renaissance is currently the main activity for a continuous and iterative UX improvements in OpenOffice.org. We have been working on Impress up to now. However, other apps will follow soon.
>>
>> Please share with us your interests, specialities or anything else that you think might be worth sharing.
>>
>> Once again, welcome!
>> Andreas
>>

>> Am 30.09.2010 um 13:46 schrieb Maya:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'm maya and i'm following your discuss. I'm ux désigner with ergonomics studies, i'm 37 years  and i'm french.
>>> I've fit the same question than Mike: please help us to help you !
>>>
>>> Thanks

>> Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
>> Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
>> Oracle OFFICE GBU
>>
>> ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG | Nagelsweg 55 | 20097 Hamburg
>>
>> ORACLE Deutschland B.V.&  Co. KG
>> Hauptverwaltung: Riesstr. 25, D-80992 München
>> Registergericht: Amtsgericht München, HRA 95603
>>
>> Komplementärin: ORACLE Deutschland Verwaltung B.V.
>> Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande
>> Handelsregister der Handelskammer Midden-Niederlande, Nr. 30143697
>> Geschäftsführer: Jürgen Kunz, Marcel van de Molen, Alexander van der Ven
>>

>> Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment

Andreas Bartel | User Experience Engineer
Phone: +49 (0)40 236 46 - 672
Oracle OFFICE GBU

ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG

Rijnzathe 6, 3454PV De Meern, Niederlande

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Mike, hi Maya,

also from my side a warm welcome to OpenOffice.org UX :-) Thanks for
joining ... I'm really looking forward to work with you all.

Am Donnerstag, den 30.09.2010, 13:46 +0200 schrieb Maya:

> Hi,
>
> I'm maya and i'm following your discuss. I'm ux désigner with ergonomics studies, i'm 37 years  and i'm french.
> I've fit the same question than Mike: please help us to help you !
>
> Thanks
>

> Le 30 sept. 2010 à 13:18, Mike Houben <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > my Name is Mike Houben 22 years old. Webdesigner and i'm loving to make some
> > GUI ;)
> > I'm loving Openoffice for years, but the GUI of it is for many users.
> >
> > So how do you work here?

Re: I'm new and i like to make some UX/GUI :)

Andreas Bartel-2
Hey Mike,

what have you been up to? Did you make some progress?

I might have something to crack your brain with and challenge your design skills :-) Just a little bit. Are you interested?

Regards,
Andreas