Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Elizabeth Matthis
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test

Thanks for reading!
:-)

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Rodrigo Carvalho
The prototype is very nice. Congrats to all involved!
--
Rodrigo

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 13:15, Elizabeth Matthis
<[hidden email]>wrote:

> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
>
> Thanks for reading!
> :-)
> Liz

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Martin Hanzel
Very nice so far, but will the toolbar be context-sensitive? There are way
too many buttons so far.

-Martin

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Elizabeth Matthis <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
>
> Thanks for reading!
> :-)
> Liz

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Cor Nouws
Hi Liz, all,

Elizabeth Matthis wrote (20-7-2009 18:15)
> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
>
> Thanks for reading!

I guess it must be the idea to give feed back here ;-)

First thanks for posting - I found no time last months to have a close
look - so this was a useful starter for me.

I'm very positive about the prototype.

For the toolbar variants:
  - Scrolling type 4 is the one I like most - 3 has to bright colors IMO
  - For the Fixed label I would not choose 3: shifting screen vertical
is not appreciated by users, as far as I experience. Plus that I do not
like the tabs to be right below the menu.

Fast access to slide sorter ...

For the rest: I am in favour of everything that promotes the use of
styles - this for Impress especially includes Master slides = slide design.
I see that Slide Design can be found in the first three items of the
menu (Start, Insert, Design), so that makes me feel confident :-) PLus
the big M, directly pointing to the Master (ambigious naming..). Great
work, and still more to come!

    (  Note: pls be aware that IssueTracker holds some requests for
       more Styles in Impress ;-)  )

Kindest regards,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Rodrigo Carvalho
+1 to context-sensitive toolbar.
--
Rodrigo

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 14:02, Martin Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Very nice so far, but will the toolbar be context-sensitive? There are way
> too many buttons so far.
>
> -Martin
>

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Elizabeth Matthis <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
> >
> > Thanks for reading!
> > :-)
> > Liz

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Martin Hanzel
I'm for Scrolling Toolbar 1, but they all need some refining...
Why do we need tabbed/scrolling toolbars in the first place? Why not just
make them context-sensitive and display only the relative commands? For
example, the Text items are useless if you aren't editing text (if you have
drawing object selected, for instance, the text edit buttons should be
replaced with drawing edit buttons).

Unfortunately, I don't have access to my sketches from here, but it involved
a single iWork-like toolbar with plenty of commands and buttons squished
together, similar to the current prototype. The toolbar is on the
bottom<http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/User_Experience/UI_ideas#Bottom-aligned_toolbar>to
reduce clutter, and may be transparent on Vista / 7, brushed metal on
Mac, etc.

-Martin

On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 11:49 PM, Rodrigo Carvalho Silva <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to context-sensitive toolbar.
> --
> Rodrigo
>

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 14:02, Martin Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Very nice so far, but will the toolbar be context-sensitive? There are
> way
> > too many buttons so far.
> >
> > -Martin
> >

> > On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Elizabeth Matthis <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
> > >
> > > Thanks for reading!
> > > :-)
> > > Liz

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Hi Rodrigo,

On 07/20/09 18:47, Rodrigo Carvalho Silva wrote:
> The prototype is very nice. Congrats to all involved!
> --
> Rodrigo

Thank YOU for leaving your positive comment on GullFOSS so my bosses
could read it!
Every little bit helps. ;-)

Liz

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 13:15, Elizabeth Matthis
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
>>
>> Thanks for reading!
>> :-)
>> Liz

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Hi Cor, Hi Everyone who resonded to my blog,

This is indeed the best place for feedback and I am very pleased to hear
it. Please also read the comments on GullFOSS as I have responded a bit
to there. More below...

On 07/20/09 22:06, Cor Nouws wrote:

> Hi Liz, all,
>
> Elizabeth Matthis wrote (20-7-2009 18:15)
>> http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/prototype_of_new_ui_test
>>
>> Thanks for reading!
>
> I guess it must be the idea to give feed back here ;-)
>
> First thanks for posting - I found no time last months to have a close
> look - so this was a useful starter for me.

You are very welcome. I was hoping to do just that with my blog---get
attention for Renaissance again. ;-)

> I'm very positive about the prototype.
>
> For the toolbar variants:
>  - Scrolling type 4 is the one I like most - 3 has to bright colors IMO
>  - For the Fixed label I would not choose 3: shifting screen vertical
> is not appreciated by users, as far as I experience. Plus that I do
> not like the tabs to be right below the menu.

OK, good to know.

> Fast access to slide sorter ...
>
> For the rest: I am in favour of everything that promotes the use of
> styles - this for Impress especially includes Master slides = slide
> design.
> I see that Slide Design can be found in the first three items of the
> menu (Start, Insert, Design), so that makes me feel confident :-) PLus
> the big M, directly pointing to the Master (ambigious naming..). Great
> work, and still more to come!

:-)
>    (  Note: pls be aware that IssueTracker holds some requests for
>       more Styles in Impress ;-)  )

The Styles are a good concept and I hope they will become more enticing
in the new UI, so that more people will actually use and understand them.
> Kindest regards,
> Cor

Best regards to you and everyone on this list,

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Cor Nouws
Hi Liz, all,

Elizabeth Matthis wrote (21-7-2009 20:27)

> This is indeed the best place for feedback and I am very pleased to hear
> it. Please also read the comments on GullFOSS as I have responded a bit
> to there. More below...
> [...]
> The Styles are a good concept and I hope they will become more enticing
> in the new UI, so that more people will actually use and understand them.

Styles are indeed an important topic in every OpenOffice.org training I
give. People appreciate to learn what it is and how they can use them.

Quite often (...) the design of the UI offers two opposite concepts:
access to styles and a lot of buttons that promote direct (hard)
formatting. The outcome is clear: unless people learn about styles, they
will end up in the misery of direct formatting ;-)

I do have some ideas that might help to make styles clearer. But - again
- I was not able to follow details of the Renaissance project and have
no idea if such items already have passed.
Does anyone know?

In Impress, styles are used less then in Calc and Writer. So when the
concept, that is worked out now for Impress, will be transferred to
those modules as well, it is an issue to pay extra attention to.

Best regards,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html
Gevoel niet vrij te zijn? Zie www.nieuwsteversie.nl

Re: Hi Everyone --check out my blog from today :-)

Miroslav Mazel
Really good, overall. The circle, the M tab, and the duplicate (2) button
are a bit unclear, though, but that should be easily fixed. The "New slide"
button shouldn't really be connected to the slide, but that's also a minor
detail. There's text box rotation, like MS Office has -- good. What I'd like
to see, though, is a vertical interface. That's what I'm most curious about,
since no competitor has a good representation of the vertical interface
proposals or a good vertical interface implementation. The current interface
just seem like different ways of presenting the MS Ribbon (don't deny the
inspiration -- it has command groups, a "Quick Access" toolbar, and almost
the same categorization).

2009/7/22 Cor Nouws <[hidden email]>

> Hi Liz, all,
>
> Elizabeth Matthis wrote (21-7-2009 20:27)
>
>  This is indeed the best place for feedback and I am very pleased to hear
>> it. Please also read the comments on GullFOSS as I have responded a bit to
>> there. More below...
>> [...]
>> The Styles are a good concept and I hope they will become more enticing in
>> the new UI, so that more people will actually use and understand them.
>>

> Styles are indeed an important topic in every OpenOffice.org training I
> give. People appreciate to learn what it is and how they can use them.
>
> Quite often (...) the design of the UI offers two opposite concepts: access
> to styles and a lot of buttons that promote direct (hard) formatting. The
> outcome is clear: unless people learn about styles, they will end up in the
> misery of direct formatting ;-)
>
> I do have some ideas that might help to make styles clearer. But - again -
> I was not able to follow details of the Renaissance project and have no idea
> if such items already have passed.
> Does anyone know?
>
> In Impress, styles are used less then in Calc and Writer. So when the
> concept, that is worked out now for Impress, will be transferred to those
> modules as well, it is an issue to pay extra attention to.
>
> Best regards,
> Cor
>

> --
> Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
> Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html
> Gevoel niet vrij te zijn? Zie www.nieuwsteversie.nl

This is a site which donates money to a custom charity when you search
(Google or Yahoo!): http://www.neoaid.com/index.php?referer_id=882