Grammar Checking Features...

Craig Arno

I do wish OpenOffice Writer grammar checking could provide the same writing
feedback as Grammatik 2.0 for Windows (and Mac) from the early 90's.

Grammar checking is useful when analysis provides instruction and external
reference to a literary tool such as Strunk and White.  This external reference
closes the educational loop for a writer's instruction and provides leads for
further investigation.  For instance, use of passive voice might be flagged as
"{Passive voice}, consider revising to use active voice; Strunk and White, The
Elements of Style - p18, [14. Use the active voice]"

Grammatic also provided a useful complexity rating for reading level of your
writing work.  6th grade level is near perfect for "communication".  Grammatik
originally rated my writing at 12-13th grade... "Not so good."  I was able to
improve my writing level using Grammatik feedback.

Both types of feedback are highly useful when learning to improve written
communication.  The first says what writing issue to fix, the second rates your
writing success.

This tool greatly helped improve my writing skills, and I'd like to see a
grammar tool of this caliber included with OpenOffice.

Thanks (for listening),
Craig Arno

Re: Grammar Checking Features...

Jaron Kuppers
Hi Craig,

In general I agree that providing a little more feedback could be helpful
for users.  Certainly style reminders can be helpful.  However, I would
disagree about using Strunk and White or any tool that prescribes a
particular writing style.  It can limit personal expression.

Additionally, Strunk and White's rules are not always applicable.
Scientific journal papers are commonly written using passive voice.  If my
entire journal paper was covered in grammar warnings I would go crazy! ;-)

Instead, if such a tool was to be considered, I would suggest it not fall
under the grammar checking but rather a style checking tool that users can
choose to turn off.  The tool could even have different style toolboxes so
that, for example, creative writing is not grouped with scientific writing.

Cheers,
Jaron