Generic Views

Thomas Neumeier
Hi Renaissance-Team,

i just read an article about renaissance in the german ct-magazine
edition 2 / 2010 (http://www.heise.de/ct/) and wondered a little bit
about the discussion.
The article is about the discussion whether to make the new ui in
ribbon-style or to keep the menu-based approach.
I did not follow the whole discussion on this list, but I only read a
few topics about the new ui. I only see discussions about do it in one
way vs. doining it another way, but maybe i'm wrong.

So my idea is to let the user decide.
In the Eclipse IDE there is this view concept. The user can arrange
sidebars, icons, menus and everything else as they want and save this
arrangement as a view. This views can be changed during different phases
of work, to adjust to the current needs of the developer.

I think this view concept could also be useful for openoffice.
A user can change a view an combine ribbon-elements with menu-based as
they want. Additionally they can arrange all elements as the like.
This view can be saved as a new view and there would have to be a
possibility to change views.

For new users there could be the possibility to choose one of the
different predefined views.

In addition there could be a way to export your view and save it to
local file or an online openoffice database so you could distribute your
own views and share it with other people.

If you do it generic, you could provide a plugin-architecure for views
and view-elements, so a developer can add an ribbon or a menu or
wathever comes in the future.

I think the view concept is the best approach. Personally i use
openoffice writer for differnet tasks. writing short letters or
mathematical articles, im my case, need different views to be fast an
productive. a formular editor while writing a letter is useless, while
digging in the depth of a menu for the mathematical article is slow.
In this cases i wished to arrange openoffice myself.

Sorry for my poor english
Thomas

Re: Generic Views

Graham Lauder
On Friday 01 January 2010 02:30:52 Thomas Neumeier wrote:

> Hi Renaissance-Team,
>
> i just read an article about renaissance in the german ct-magazine
> edition 2 / 2010 (http://www.heise.de/ct/) and wondered a little bit
> about the discussion.
> The article is about the discussion whether to make the new ui in
> ribbon-style or to keep the menu-based approach.
> I did not follow the whole discussion on this list, but I only read a
> few topics about the new ui. I only see discussions about do it in one
> way vs. doining it another way, but maybe i'm wrong.
>
> So my idea is to let the user decide.
> In the Eclipse IDE there is this view concept. The user can arrange
> sidebars, icons, menus and everything else as they want and save this
> arrangement as a view. This views can be changed during different phases
> of work, to adjust to the current needs of the developer.
>
> I think this view concept could also be useful for openoffice.
> A user can change a view an combine ribbon-elements with menu-based as
> they want. Additionally they can arrange all elements as the like.
> This view can be saved as a new view and there would have to be a
> possibility to change views.
>
> For new users there could be the possibility to choose one of the
> different predefined views.
>
> In addition there could be a way to export your view and save it to
> local file or an online openoffice database so you could distribute your
> own views and share it with other people.
>
> If you do it generic, you could provide a plugin-architecure for views
> and view-elements, so a developer can add an ribbon or a menu or
> wathever comes in the future.
>
> I think the view concept is the best approach. Personally i use
> openoffice writer for differnet tasks. writing short letters or
> mathematical articles, im my case, need different views to be fast an
> productive. a formular editor while writing a letter is useless, while
> digging in the depth of a menu for the mathematical article is slow.
> In this cases i wished to arrange openoffice myself.

An oft-quoted criticism of OOo is that there are too many options, however it
is my belief that this gives us an excellent point of difference from a
marketing POV.  I agree, a set of "View Options" would be an excellent idea.
I'm often called on by clients to create "Use Templates" for different User
groups.  A set of "Views" that not only change the default document template
but also the User Interface would be very useful.

A selection of "View Types" come to mind.

- Authors Multi chapter
- Technical Writers
- Front Office Business Correspondence
- Professional Editors (designed to interface smoothly with Publishing
Software such as InDesign)
- Copywriters
- NFP Newsletter
- DTP
-Script writer

Views could be set to be launched from the start center and each would have
options that the user could tune to suit the individual.

> Sorry for my poor english
> Thomas

No need to apologise, your English is excellent, certainly better than my
Deutsch.  :/

Cheers
GL

--
Graham Lauder,

INGOTs Moderator New Zealand
www.theingots.org.nz

Re: Generic Views

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Thomas,
Hi Graham,

On 01/01/10 00:26, Graham Lauder wrote:

> On Friday 01 January 2010 02:30:52 Thomas Neumeier wrote:
>
>> Hi Renaissance-Team,
>>
>> i just read an article about renaissance in the german ct-magazine
>> edition 2 / 2010 (http://www.heise.de/ct/) and wondered a little bit
>> about the discussion.
>> The article is about the discussion whether to make the new ui in
>> ribbon-style or to keep the menu-based approach.
>> I did not follow the whole discussion on this list, but I only read a
>> few topics about the new ui. I only see discussions about do it in one
>> way vs. doining it another way, but maybe i'm wrong.

Well it is important to note that a new toolbar concept in OOo does not
mean that the menus will be gone. We will have both.

>> So my idea is to let the user decide.
>> In the Eclipse IDE there is this view concept. The user can arrange
>> sidebars, icons, menus and everything else as they want and save this
>> arrangement as a view. This views can be changed during different phases
>> of work, to adjust to the current needs of the developer.
>>
>> I think this view concept could also be useful for openoffice.
>> A user can change a view an combine ribbon-elements with menu-based as
>> they want. Additionally they can arrange all elements as the like.
>> This view can be saved as a new view and there would have to be a
>> possibility to change views.

Your idea of saving specific configurations (toolbars, icons, etc within
the document window) is a nice one, though most average users would
never think to do it. I do think that power users would like such a
possibility and then be able to share their expertise with others who
would then profit from it. Unfortunately, OOo is not capable of this.
Fortunately, an extension could be programmed to take the toolbar/icon,
etc. placement data from the OOo config files and export it so that it
can be imported again and therefore reused, shared, etc. So if you or
someone you know is interested, then that is the solution.

Kind regards,
Liz

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel