Foreign Planets ...

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Foreign Planets ...

Christoph Noack-4
... to boldly go where no man has gone before :-) [1]

Hi everyone!

Today I noticed that our UX planet seems to show up in "Oracle UX
Design" Planet. My thanks to Matthias (MMP) who did that last year. And
although this is still a Sun domain, there are some guys from Oracle. So
if you would like to have a look at it ...

http://planets.sun.com/ux/group/blogs/

And one question - do you also perceive the OOo blog posts a bit more
"casual"? It seems that one don't need to have a look at the author, it
is easy to guess.

However, this might also be a nice example for a planet which is really
clean and focused. As I already mentioned - maybe more visual-wise than
content-wise ;-)

Bye,
Christoph

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Where_no_man_has_gone_before


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Foreign Planets ...

Ivan M
Hi Christoph, all,

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... to boldly go where no man has gone before :-) [1]
>
> Hi everyone!
>
> Today I noticed that our UX planet seems to show up in "Oracle UX
> Design" Planet. My thanks to Matthias (MMP) who did that last year. And
> although this is still a Sun domain, there are some guys from Oracle. So
> if you would like to have a look at it ...
>
> http://planets.sun.com/ux/group/blogs/

Wow! That is clean... and focused. I noticed it has a link to older
posts, which made me think that it could be powered by a different
system. The footer confirms this: Roller http://roller.apache.org/

> And one question - do you also perceive the OOo blog posts a bit more
> "casual"? It seems that one don't need to have a look at the author, it
> is easy to guess.

I would consider many of the posts in the OOo planet to be
semi-official (i.e., they are written by people who are prominent
within the project and can make contributions/decisions in key areas
of OOo) - some posts might seem to be more casual, but at the same
time they're not as casual as some other Planets (e.g. GNOME).

If we want to improve the Planet's profile in the OOo community (and
get more community content on the Planet), then a layout that is more
informal would be better. The Oracle UX planet looks very official,
even though the smallprint at the bottom of the page includes the
standard disclaimer that the posts are not reviewed and that they do
not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle, etc. I think the
speech bubble pointing to a specific author conveys the obscure
smallprint at the bottom of the page in a very visual way.

Regards,
Ivan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Foreign Planets ...

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Christoph,

On 05/15/10 01:38, Ivan M wrote:

> Hi Christoph, all,
>
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  
>> ... to boldly go where no man has gone before :-) [1]
>>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> Today I noticed that our UX planet seems to show up in "Oracle UX
>> Design" Planet. My thanks to Matthias (MMP) who did that last year. And
>> although this is still a Sun domain, there are some guys from Oracle. So
>> if you would like to have a look at it ...
>>
>> http://planets.sun.com/ux/group/blogs/
>>    
>
>  
So now everyone really will think you work for Oracle/Sun! I know you
have your own employer and are a selfless, sleepless volunteer, but the  
big red "Oracle UX Design" at the top really does make it sound like
everyone posting there works for Oracle. The teeny tiny print waaaaaaay
at the bottom says that not everyone who writes there is an Oracle
employee, but who is going to notice or even ever scroll that far down?
If the footer were static, then OK, but otherwise misleading misleading
tsk tsk tsk. Just the same...I love your posts and the more people who
read them the better. What if they are totally confused readers? Oh
well: at least they are well-informed and mildly confused readers. ;-)

> Wow! That is clean... and focused. I noticed it has a link to older
> posts, which made me think that it could be powered by a different
> system. The footer confirms this: Roller http://roller.apache.org/
>
>  
>> And one question - do you also perceive the OOo blog posts a bit more
>> "casual"? It seems that one don't need to have a look at the author, it
>> is easy to guess.
>>    
>
> I would consider many of the posts in the OOo planet to be
> semi-official (i.e., they are written by people who are prominent
> within the project and can make contributions/decisions in key areas
> of OOo) - some posts might seem to be more casual, but at the same
> time they're not as casual as some other Planets (e.g. GNOME).
>
> If we want to improve the Planet's profile in the OOo community (and
> get more community content on the Planet), then a layout that is more
> informal would be better.
+1

> The Oracle UX planet looks very official,
> even though the smallprint at the bottom of the page includes the
> standard disclaimer that the posts are not reviewed and that they do
> not necessarily reflect the opinions of Oracle, etc. I think the
> speech bubble pointing to a specific author conveys the obscure
> smallprint at the bottom of the page in a very visual way.
>
>  
> Regards,
> Ivan.
>  
Looking forward to the new planet design,
Liz

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]