Floating contextual toolbars steal focus

Floating contextual toolbars steal focus

Hood Family
Hi everyone,
I noticed that when the autocorrect "replace bullets with" option is
turned on in OOo Writer,
when it replaces a bullet, the "bullets and numbering" toolbar steals
the focus.
This only occurs if the toolbar is floating, not if it is docked.
The same behaviour occurs with other contextual toolbars, and it seems
very user unfriendly
to me.
Does anyone have any other thoughts?
Could it be fixed?

Regards,
Alister

Re: Floating contextual toolbars steal focus

Irné Barnard
> I noticed that when the autocorrect "replace bullets with" option is
> turned on in OOo Writer,
> when it replaces a bullet, the "bullets and numbering" toolbar steals
> the focus. This only occurs if the toolbar is floating, not if it is
> docked.
> The same behaviour occurs with other contextual toolbars, and it seems
> very user unfriendly
> to me.
> Does anyone have any other thoughts?
> Could it be fixed?
>
> Regards,
> Alister

Agreed! I also don't like that idea of focus going somewhere else than
expected. Fortunately I have these toolbars docked. But then in some
cases it "grows" the dock-panel each time you select an image / table /
etc. Making the document move on the screen as well, usually shifting
from under the mouse cursor. Thus you select an image, move to one of
the grips to stretch it, but as soon as the toolbar displays (which
sometimes takes a second or two), the grip isn't where you've just moved
the cursor to - i.e. you have to move the mouse again!

This is one of the "good" points about the infamous ribbon interface.
These contextual toolbars become contextual panels which simply display
in the ribbon without changing focus or resizing the display. If they
float (as in OOo now), they should definitely NOT STEAL the focus. If
they're docked, they must be docked into an already existing docking
pane / row / column - thus disallowing that growing / shrinking effect,
but this can at present only be accomplished through the user knowing
this "trick".

Irné Barnard

Re: Floating contextual toolbars steal focus

Niklas Nebel-2
On 11/17/10 13:30, Irné Barnard wrote:

> Agreed! I also don't like that idea of focus going somewhere else than
> expected. Fortunately I have these toolbars docked. But then in some
> cases it "grows" the dock-panel each time you select an image / table /
> etc. Making the document move on the screen as well, usually shifting
> from under the mouse cursor. Thus you select an image, move to one of
> the grips to stretch it, but as soon as the toolbar displays (which
> sometimes takes a second or two), the grip isn't where you've just moved
> the cursor to - i.e. you have to move the mouse again!
>
> This is one of the "good" points about the infamous ribbon interface.
> These contextual toolbars become contextual panels which simply display
> in the ribbon without changing focus or resizing the display. If they
> float (as in OOo now), they should definitely NOT STEAL the focus. If
> they're docked, they must be docked into an already existing docking
> pane / row / column - thus disallowing that growing / shrinking effect,
> but this can at present only be accomplished through the user knowing
> this "trick".

Floating toolbars aren't supposed to grab the focus, see issue 113856.

Niklas

Niklas Nebel wrote:

> On 11/17/10 13:30, Irné Barnard wrote:
>> Agreed! I also don't like that idea of focus going somewhere else than
>> expected. Fortunately I have these toolbars docked. But then in some
>> cases it "grows" the dock-panel each time you select an image / table /
>> etc. Making the document move on the screen as well, usually shifting
>> from under the mouse cursor. Thus you select an image, move to one of
>> the grips to stretch it, but as soon as the toolbar displays (which
>> sometimes takes a second or two), the grip isn't where you've just moved
>> the cursor to - i.e. you have to move the mouse again!
>>
>> This is one of the "good" points about the infamous ribbon interface.
>> These contextual toolbars become contextual panels which simply display
>> in the ribbon without changing focus or resizing the display. If they
>> float (as in OOo now), they should definitely NOT STEAL the focus. If
>> they're docked, they must be docked into an already existing docking
>> pane / row / column - thus disallowing that growing / shrinking effect,
>> but this can at present only be accomplished through the user knowing
>> this "trick".
>
> Floating toolbars aren't supposed to grab the focus, see issue 113856.
>
> Niklas
Great, so it looks like it has been fixed.  Thanks, I couldn't find that.

Alister