Feedback Impress Prototype 0.8 / July 14 2009

Feedback Impress Prototype 0.8 / July 14 2009

Andreas Schuderer
Hi there,

Here's some feedback on the current prototype (July 14).

In this prototype, the toolbar layout is different/more detailed. I
notice that, in working out the arrangement of icons/buttons in the
toolbars, lines are used to separate icon groups. I argument that,
when you remove the line, and just retain the spacing, you end up with
a much cleaner look that separates the icon groups just as well as the
line does. Direct comparison:
http://schuderer.net/pub/toolbar-icon-separators.png

I don't get the meaning of the red/green dot in the corner of the
buttons. Does this relate to the "delete" vs. "new/duplicate" color
coding?

I like the naming of the main toolbar groups (Start/Insert/...) better
now. They are named pretty consistent now: They are all verbs (not a
mixture of verbs and nouns) and indicate "something to do", which
relates to the user's activities when working on a presentation.
"Start" is still a general category, but now its purpose is clearer,
plus you have the analogy to the windows Start button, which is "the
place to start".

I have the feeling that scrolling through the toolbar is now quicker,
but I cannot verify this. It still sort of "drags along". A simple
implementation of animated scrolling that often works would be: Have
constant time intervals (e.g. 70ms) between the animation steps. Have
the animation "ease out" (but not ease in) like this: On every step,
travel the distance of 1/3 of the remaining distance. This will start
fast, but logarithmically slow down the animation towards the end.
That way, much of the distance is covered quickly but you still get a
feeling for the direction and general distance, and towards the end,
when the animation gets slower, you start to discern the passing
elements and know which "neighborhood" you're in.

In my first feedback I criticized the border-highlighting of the
currently active toolbar group, which takes place in the scrolling
toolbar variants. I suggested a vertical "start of section" title. If
this is not feasible, or the current group really *must* be
highlighted, another way to highlight the current group could be to
slightly dim the other groups:
http://schuderer.net/pub/scrolling-toolbar-dim.png

Here's the mentioned earlier "start of section" suggestion (I'd prefer
this to dimming or border-highlighting): http://schuderer.net/pub/OOo-horiz-scrolling-toolbar-grouping.png

Cheers,
Andreas