FLUX - Simplifying

Joshua Martin
Keeping in mind with what was mentioned on an earlier post, a redux in
visual areas could be beneficial to the users' understanding of how they can
use the software.

With this, I want to get your opinion on changing the way the tabs are
displayed in the very top menu and eliminating the tabbed documents (perhaps
this might be best if only to make better integration with MacOSX).

http://2044447852705379421-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/fluxuserinterface/Home/writer_newtabs.png?attredirects=0&auth=ANoY7cphnQaOog2em28oSIoZ1YTktvBRsTq09fv19UXzyACWlaCtW1snsPIFaBD0I-04pua7lpT38c4tzzu1Oulg59Nk1vLmYAa19TuDCvi-cPf3DF1WblDq8R5WYFGvw_DYs8yTxGRTECHYIvTrSF7KBqyn4CJwT3sX2soanZAqv3TWYxllW6yTVihVYwHvXEwELcUXJh8b9SPFEiYjfOGO-bgPzD56gQ%3D%3D

--
_________________________________

Joshua S. Martin

Re: FLUX - Simplifying

Clément Pillias

Hi Joshua,

Le 27 déc. 08 à 18:42, Joshua Martin a écrit :

> Keeping in mind with what was mentioned on an earlier post, a redux
> in visual areas could be beneficial to the users' understanding of
> how they can use the software.
>
> With this, I want to get your opinion on changing the way the tabs
> are displayed in the very top menu and eliminating the tabbed
> documents (perhaps this might be best if only to make better
> integration with MacOSX).

That's true that the "insert", "layout", etc. tabs could have been
interpreted as stand-alone buttons rather than tabs in your previous
mockups. So I think it's a good idea to work on them. My feeling was
rather that you should enforce the link between the tabs and the
icons area, e.g. by setting the background color on the right of the
icons in grey (instead of black), as in your new mockup. So that the
tabs and the icons area are perceived as a single unit rather than two.

I find your new tabs too small, difficult to read, and probably
difficult to click (think to Fit's law). May I suggest an horizontal
accordion?

Cheers,

Clément.

Re: FLUX - Simplifying

Joshua Martin
A horizontal accordion would be perfect!

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM, Clément Pillias <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Joshua,
>
> Le 27 déc. 08 à 18:42, Joshua Martin a écrit :
>
>  Keeping in mind with what was mentioned on an earlier post, a redux in
>> visual areas could be beneficial to the users' understanding of how they can
>> use the software.
>>
>> With this, I want to get your opinion on changing the way the tabs are
>> displayed in the very top menu and eliminating the tabbed documents (perhaps
>> this might be best if only to make better integration with MacOSX).
>>

> That's true that the "insert", "layout", etc. tabs could have been
> interpreted as stand-alone buttons rather than tabs in your previous
> mockups. So I think it's a good idea to work on them. My feeling was rather
> that you should enforce the link between the tabs and the icons area, e.g.
> by setting the background color on the right of the icons in grey (instead
> of black), as in your new mockup. So that the tabs and the icons area are
> perceived as a single unit rather than two.
>
> I find your new tabs too small, difficult to read, and probably difficult
> to click (think to Fit's law). May I suggest an horizontal accordion?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Clément.

_________________________________

Joshua S. Martin

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: This e-mail message, including any attachment(s),
contains information that may be confidential, protected by the attorney
client or other legal privileges, and or proprietary non public information.
If you are not an intended recipient of this message or an authorized
assistant to an intended recipient, please notify the sender by replying to
this message and then delete it from your system. Use, dissemination,
distribution, or reproduction of this message and or any of its attachments
(if any) by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful.

FLUX: interpretations of words that appeared on the four tabs

Graham Perrin
Administrator
Quoting selectively from two threads …

Joshua Martin wrote
… opinion on changing the way the tabs are displayed in the very top menu and eliminating the tabbed documents (perhaps this might be best if only to make better integration with MacOSX).
To me, the value of tabbed presentation of multiple documents within a single OOo window would be, to group those documents to suit a need (a logic) at a point in time. I might have one window to four documents relating to one thought/project, another window to four documents relating to some other thought/project.

I would, for example, prefer a simple cascade of two windows (four tabs within each) to a deeper cascade of eight windows.

… how the zoom pop up window can be eliminate and the feature nestled over on the left sidebar (remember, these are static options)
It occurred to me that if tabs are/were (optionally) to present multiple documents within an OOo window, then those tabs should begin at far left (not be near to the right). An example opposition of tabs:

Clément Pillias wrote
I find your new tabs too small, difficult to read, and probably difficult to click
+1

(think to Fit's law)
Learning from this list is a pleasure, now (off-topic from OOo) at <http://www.diigo.com/annotated/0a14f1af9178ca9f011ad17a287c4561> and <http://www.diigo.com/annotated/e8c0911164affe88fa14c39f8d428909> I can refer to <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fitts_law>.

On topic: I look forward to discovering the horizontal accordion effect :)

the "insert", "layout", etc. tabs could have been interpreted as stand-alone buttons rather than tabs in your previous mockups.

What I (silently) most liked about the four tabs, as they earlier appeared, was: the subtle appearance of _workflow_. Assuming LTR, and that 'Publish' might be some step within a flow. Without actually using the expression 'workflow', which may be off-putting (not to designers of UI) to end users.

@ Joshua

Was flow of some sort implicit, was I mistaken?

I'll await answers, then review the following aspect: