FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

Joshua Martin

Re: FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

Graham Perrin
Administrator
If keying up and down through the
main Chart menu behaves as I suspect it will,
presenting a sheet to the side of each main menu item,
with the lower part of each each sheet offering options (sometimes properties?) that are sensitive to the context of the upper part of the sheet, then:

+1

In the example <http://sites.google.com/site/fluxuserinterface/Home/writer_horizontal_accordion2_pulldown.png> the white space maybe hints at the possibility of two rows in the upper part of the sheet.

From a keyed navigation perspective, I *might* prefer a more even 'staircase' (for want of a better expression) that is more predictably

* down, across, down, across; not
* down, across, down-down, across.

So, I might prefer the sheet to be wider, and for there to be only one row of items within the upper part of the sheet.

Re: FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

Joshua Martin
Yes, keying up and down changes the contents of the right side of the
menu... Note that this is the same exact layout as in OOo 3.0 Writer (Insert
> Object > Chart) just minus the pop up.

Looking at that as an example gives you the idea of how I laid it out...
Note that I would have inserted the chart types and their options if I had a
set of icons for that :)

--
_________________________________

Joshua S. Martin

Re: FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

Clément Pillias
Hi Joshua,

Le 28 déc. 08 à 05:31, Joshua Martin a écrit :

> Here's an example of how we can use "pull down" menus to enhance
> the user experience in synchronicity with the horizontal accordion.
> This example was used as a possible pull down for a chart button...

Nice mockup (even if there are a few pixel-size errors).

I only have a few remarks (as usual):

* Remove the "Cancel" button which should be useless (just close the
dialog in the same way that any traditional menu), and rename the
"Ok" button in "Insert".

* Maybe use an horizontal list for the different chart types, so that
the menu is displayed over the (then useless) top toolbar rather than
over the (potentially interesting) document. With big icon+text
buttons for an easier access by mouse (Fitt's Law again).

* I like the way your blue/black bar seems to float over the window,
I think it helps to make the user understand that this part of the
interface is reserved to general tasks, rather than tasks closely
related to the document edited. But the document tabs breaks the
effect. I think you should use a white (or even better: transparent)
background in the tabs area, the same background than the one
surrounding the document for the active tab, and a slightly darker
one for the inactive tabs. With a small space between the tabs and
the blue/black toolbar. I don't know if it's clear ;)

Cheers,

Clément.

Re: FLUX - Horizontal Accordion Pull Down Menu

Joshua Martin

> But the document tabs breaks the effect. I think you should use a white (or
> even better: transparent) background in the tabs area, the same background
> than the one surrounding the document for the active tab, and a slightly
> darker one for the inactive tabs. With a small space between the tabs and
> the blue/black toolbar. I don't know if it's clear ;)

I don't quite understand... Is this what you had in mind?

http://sites.google.com/site/fluxuserinterface/Home/writer_document_tabs_white.png

--

Joshua S. Martin