Effects concept

Martin Hanzel
So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important changes to the original.
I am now working on the documentation / web page, so it's not very finished.

I'm working on dial-up, so I'll only send the doc and screenshot.

Feedback is welcome.

The concept is called Effects. The picture ColorBar.jpg is different from the original because it has a red bar above the menus to symbolize something, like spellcheck (red if there are errors, blue if there are grammatical errors, green if it's clean). It could also be a progress bar for saving or loading large images.

The backgrounds can also be changed. I did it using a layer mask to control the saturation so that it won't stand out and distract too much.

Personally, I think it's killer

-Martin

effects.odt (549K) Download Attachment

Re: Effects concept

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Martin,

On 08/08/09 10:15, Martin Hanzel wrote:
> So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important
> changes to the original.
Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like your
thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history of time
has a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square." LOL! So
true. Context-sensitivity is very nice.
> I am now working on the documentation / web page, so it's not very
> finished.
>
> I'm working on dial-up, so I'll only send the doc and screenshot.

I like that the bar is at the bottom, but I also feel strongly that
everyone should be able to move bars where they personally want to have
them. I think half the people on this list want a vertical bar. So the
best thing is to make it mobile. ;-)

> Feedback is welcome.
>
> The concept is called Effects. The picture ColorBar.jpg is different
> from the original because it has a red bar above the menus to
> symbolize something, like spellcheck (red if there are errors, blue if
> there are grammatical errors, green if it's clean). It could also be a
> progress bar for saving or loading large images.
>
> The backgrounds can also be changed. I did it using a layer mask to
> control the saturation so that it won't stand out and distract too much.
>
> Personally, I think it's killer
Creative _and_ modest. ;-)
I'm not a developer, so I don't know what is or isn't possible in the
OOo toolkit, but I know that ideas have been submitted by many many
people. One thing I know, for example, is that the bar will be "mobile"
when implemented with the OOo toolkit, even though it isn't in the Java
prototype.

> -Martin

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Effects concept

Jaron Kuppers
Hey Martin,

I checked out your design and I appreciate the attention to key details.
Hopefully, some of your design concepts can be considered in future design
phases.  I think we need to especially concentrate on color and saturation,
not only to make it look good but to guide the user's thinking process when
navigating the UI.  (The prototype is not currently concentrating on details
like that but in the future I believe there will be a time to address such
details).

Cheers,
Jaron

On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Martin Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important
> changes to the original.
> I am now working on the documentation / web page, so it's not very
> finished.
>
> I'm working on dial-up, so I'll only send the doc and screenshot.
>
> Feedback is welcome.
>
> The concept is called Effects. The picture ColorBar.jpg is different from
> the original because it has a red bar above the menus to symbolize
> something, like spellcheck (red if there are errors, blue if there are
> grammatical errors, green if it's clean). It could also be a progress bar
> for saving or loading large images.
>
> The backgrounds can also be changed. I did it using a layer mask to control
> the saturation so that it won't stand out and distract too much.
>
> Personally, I think it's killer[?]
>
> -Martin

Re: Effects concept

Martin Hanzel
What I though of before (but never got a chance to upload) is that, instead
of the menus at the top, it would show only the document icon and title.
Clicking on this would display a large, interactive, very graphical menu (or
possibly overlay the entire document with it) that contains all the
functions normally in the textual menus. This would cleverly hide most of
OOo's feature set, so the user isn't distracted. This would give the user a
sense of control - and not being overwhelmed by everything OOo can offer.

I'm not particularly sure about how this would work, but it's true that
textual menus are old and innefficient, and not to mention ugly.

As for the multiple-document layout, there should be a << and >> to the left
and of the menus or whatever else to switch one document to the left of
right. The user usually doesn't have more than 3 or 4 documents open at
once, at the most, and the rest of the open documents can be accessed
through the Documents (or Window) menu item or through an alt-tab-like
interface (I think I wrote a mail concerning that as well).

The problem with sidebars is that, sometimes, toolbars just don't translate
into a top-down layout, especially when they have complex controls. A
solution to this would be to make perfectly square "containers" and stack
them either horizontally or vertically, depending on if the user likes
toolbars or sidebars. In this scenario, the styles button would be its own
container, the Bold/Italic/Underline buttons and Alignment would fit (with
some padding) and the bullets/numbering and indent buttons would be in a
seperate container as well.
The user can also choose which containers to display, and he/she would
scroll them Ubuntu-style (mousing to one side would scroll in that
direction).

I'll upload later. Most of my time now was getting Ubuntu to work on a new
netbook. Which I can use to test UI prototypes on a 1024x600 screen!!

-Martin

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Martin,
>
> I checked out your design and I appreciate the attention to key details.
> Hopefully, some of your design concepts can be considered in future design
> phases.  I think we need to especially concentrate on color and saturation,
> not only to make it look good but to guide the user's thinking process when
> navigating the UI.  (The prototype is not currently concentrating on
> details
> like that but in the future I believe there will be a time to address such
> details).
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron
>

> On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 4:15 AM, Martin Hanzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important
> > changes to the original.
> > I am now working on the documentation / web page, so it's not very
> > finished.
> >
> > I'm working on dial-up, so I'll only send the doc and screenshot.
> >
> > Feedback is welcome.
> >
> > The concept is called Effects. The picture ColorBar.jpg is different from
> > the original because it has a red bar above the menus to symbolize
> > something, like spellcheck (red if there are errors, blue if there are
> > grammatical errors, green if it's clean). It could also be a progress bar
> > for saving or loading large images.
> >
> > The backgrounds can also be changed. I did it using a layer mask to
> control
> > the saturation so that it won't stand out and distract too much.
> >
> > Personally, I think it's killer[?]
> >
> > -Martin

Re: Effects concept

Bernd Eilers
Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
> Hi Martin,

Hi Martin and Elizabeth,

> On 08/08/09 10:15, Martin Hanzel wrote:
>> So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important
>> changes to the original.
> Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like your
> thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history of time
> has a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square." LOL! So
> true. Context-sensitivity is very nice.

While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.

In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would need
to show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being selected.

To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click on
it and type some text than.

 > [...snip...]

Kind regards,
Bernd Eilers

Re: Effects concept

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi All,

On 08/14/09 09:58, Bernd Eilers wrote:

> Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>

> Hi Martin and Elizabeth,
>

>> On 08/08/09 10:15, Martin Hanzel wrote:
>>> So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made
>>> important changes to the original.
>> Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like
>> your thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history
>> of time has a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square."
>> LOL! So true. Context-sensitivity is very nice.
>
> While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
> given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.
>
> In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
> sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would
> need to show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being
> selected.

Well, Martin, we stand corrected! Here we have it, right from the
developer's mouth. As we see, OOo is so all-encompassing that it really
is hard to reduce the number of choices in any given context. That is
one of the things that makes the usability work so tedious:
"simplifying" all the possibilities and complexities of such a huge and
powerful office suite.
> To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click
> on it and type some text than.
>

> > [...snip...]
>
> Kind regards,
> Bernd Eilers
Thanks, Bernd, for chiming in and educating us.

Re: Effects concept

Miroslav Mazel
Hi everyone,

2009/8/14 Elizabeth Matthis <[hidden email]>

> Hi All,
>
> On 08/14/09 09:58, Bernd Eilers wrote:
>
>> Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>

>> Hi Martin and Elizabeth,

>>> Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like your
>>> thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history of time has
>>> a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square." LOL! So true.
>>> Context-sensitivity is very nice.
>>>

>> While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
>> given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.
>>
>> In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
>> sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would need to
>> show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being selected.
>
> Yes, but that's only when the shape is double-clicked. When the shape is
simply selected, even with text is inside it, the text formatting tools are
disabled. But if you want a better example -- images, videos, and sound
files don't have any use for the text tools either.
A good contextual interface doesn't show any disabled, unclickable command.

>>  Well, Martin, we stand corrected! Here we have it, right from the
> developer's mouth. As we see, OOo is so all-encompassing that it really is
> hard to reduce the number of choices in any given context. That is one of
> the things that makes the usability work so tedious: "simplifying" all the
> possibilities and complexities of such a huge and powerful office suite.

Actually, I think MS did a very good job in doing this with the Ribbon,
except for the text tools, Paste (which should be enabled only when there's
something in the clipboard and presented under "Insert"), Copy, Cut (which
are both contextual -- when nothing is selected, you can't copy or cut), and
maybe a few other things. Otherwise, the translucent, floating toolbars are
very comfortable (I'm surprised no one has really brought those up yet,
since, at least for me, those were one of the big highlights of the new
Office UI), so are the contextual formatting tabs, replacing "Redo" and
"Repeat" makes sense, etc.
Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing how contextual commands end up
in the new interface. I'm hoping pockets (cont. snippets) will make a debut,
also perhaps inline search and info bars...

>  To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click on it
>> and type some text than.
>>

>> > [...snip...]
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Bernd Eilers
>>
> Thanks, Bernd, for chiming in and educating us.
>
> Liz

This is a site which donates money to a custom charity when you search
(Google or Yahoo!): http://www.neoaid.com/index.php?referer_id=882

Re: Effects concept

Martin Hanzel
In that case, the shape formatting would be replaced by text formatting,
since you won't be using the former while typing. I never did.

The context-sensitivity relies on* selection*. Selecting text, even inside a
shape, is different from selecting the shape itself.
-Martin

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Bernd Eilers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin,
>>

> Hi Martin and Elizabeth,
>

>> On 08/08/09 10:15, Martin Hanzel wrote:
>>
>>> So I have finally designed my concept, improved it, and made important
>>> changes to the original.
>>>
>> Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like your
>> thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history of time has
>> a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square." LOL! So true.
>> Context-sensitivity is very nice.
>>

> While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
> given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.
>
> In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
> sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would need to
> show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being selected.
>
> To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click on it
> and type some text than.
>

> > [...snip...]
>
> Kind regards,
> Bernd Eilers

Re: Effects concept

Cor Nouws
Martin Hanzel wrote (14-8-2009 16:19)
> In that case, the shape formatting would be replaced by text formatting,
> since you won't be using the former while typing. I never did.

I always use that Text entry of the context menu (unless using styles of
course, which is even more often).

> The context-sensitivity relies on* selection*. Selecting text, even inside a
> shape, is different from selecting the shape itself.

Cor

--
Cor Nouws - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
Ontwikkelaar? Join! http://council.openoffice.org/developers.html

Re: Effects concept

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Martin,

just a few words concerning the concept. At the moment I just would like
to restrict myself to the contextual behavior.

Am Freitag, den 14.08.2009, 10:19 -0400 schrieb Martin Hanzel:
> In that case, the shape formatting would be replaced by text formatting,
> since you won't be using the former while typing. I never did.

And some others do.

However, an example: When selecting several objects at once (e.g. in a
flowchart), what intends the user to do? Changing the font direction?
Changing the line formatting? Grouping? Bringing them all to front?

Unless we don't know exactly, we have to present (however this will be
done) all choices which seem to make sense in that context. From my
point of view, the context is wider than you assume it to be.

> The context-sensitivity relies on* selection*. Selecting text, even inside a
> shape, is different from selecting the shape itself.

Basically, you will end up in sub-categories for these items which -
most probably - will require more then a certain amount of space or
logic to access it. And then we are back to discuss the concept for
"accessing functionality".

That is the main reason for being such a challenging topic ;-)

Bye,
Christoph

> On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Bernd Eilers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Martin,
> >>

> > Hi Martin and Elizabeth,

> >> Great work. I just read your odt file and saw the mockups. I like your
> >> thinking ---and your sense of humor. E.g. "Never in the history of time has
> >> a user needed the Font Size field when drawing a square." LOL! So true.
> >> Context-sensitivity is very nice.
> >>

> > While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
> > given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.
> >
> > In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
> > sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would need to
> > show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being selected.
> >
> > To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click on it
> > and type some text than.
> >

> > > [...snip...]
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Bernd Eilers

Re: Effects concept

Martin Hanzel
Yes, context sensitivity is a challenge. But even in OOo the Drawing Object
Properties toolbar is not even available when editing the text inside a
shape.

What I meant to emphasize with Effects is that it isn't always the best idea
to have plenty of buttons and options available in plain sight. The ribbin
was made to REPLACE text menus. OOo will still include (as far as I know)
text menus. This makes a ribbon-esque toolbar useless. And don't pretend the
current prototype doesn't resemble the Ribbon.

As long as we have the good 'ol proven text menus (or something to that
effect), we don't need to overwhelm the user with buttons. The current
production UI is even overwhelmed with buttons.
-- It has an entire toolbar full of drawing objects. It should be one global
Insert Shape button (since shapes are frequently used) that opens once or
'locks' in place when inserting lots of shapes.
-- The Text Formatting contains plenty of useless features with the
equivelant of Styles. Rather than display Font Size, Font Face, Color, etc,
display the Styles sidebar and have an "inline style" section, where the
user can customize the font.

You get the idea. Effects tries to minimise the amount of options, or
integrate them into existing features.

int
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:19 AM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Martin,
>
> just a few words concerning the concept. At the moment I just would like
> to restrict myself to the contextual behavior.
>
> Am Freitag, den 14.08.2009, 10:19 -0400 schrieb Martin Hanzel:
> > In that case, the shape formatting would be replaced by text formatting,
> > since you won't be using the former while typing. I never did.
>
> And some others do.
>
> However, an example: When selecting several objects at once (e.g. in a
> flowchart), what intends the user to do? Changing the font direction?
> Changing the line formatting? Grouping? Bringing them all to front?
>
> Unless we don't know exactly, we have to present (however this will be
> done) all choices which seem to make sense in that context. From my
> point of view, the context is wider than you assume it to be.
>
> > The context-sensitivity relies on* selection*. Selecting text, even
> inside a
> > shape, is different from selecting the shape itself.
>
> Basically, you will end up in sub-categories for these items which -
> most probably - will require more then a certain amount of space or
> logic to access it. And then we are back to discuss the concept for
> "accessing functionality".
>
> That is the main reason for being such a challenging topic ;-)
>
> Bye,
> Christoph
>

> > On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 3:58 AM, Bernd Eilers <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

> > > Hi Martin and Elizabeth,

> important

> time has
> true.
> > >>

> > > While generally context sensitivity is a good thing the actual example
> > > given is a wrong one at least in the context of OpenOffice.org.
> > >
> > > In OpenOffice.org Drawing Shapes like squares do have an optional text
> > > sub-element and that´s why even in a context sensitive UI you would
> need to
> > > show the FontSize control than when such a shape is being selected.
> > >
> > > To see what I mean add a square to an impress document, double click on
> it
> > > and type some text than.

> > > Kind regards,
> > > Bernd Eilers

Re: Effects concept

Martin Hanzel
However, an example: When selecting several objects at once (e.g. in a
flowchart), what intends the user to do? Changing the font direction?
Changing the line formatting? Grouping? Bringing them all to front?

Got it!
I had this crazy idea to separate items in the toolbar.

The scenario is... Lets say you have a table with mixed content: a picture, a shape, and some text.

So we have four selections - four 'states', Effects-speak (for those of you who don't know, the buttons in the contextual toolbar in Effects are affected by the current 'state', or the selected object): Text, Picture, Shape, and Table.

Table controls may remain on the right or left side of the context toolbar - with the main formatting buttons in the middle. OR...

When mutiple types of content are selected, 'tabs' can appear over the context bar, one for each type of content.
This  reduces clutter and the number of controls visible in the context bar, which is superb for small screens. One tab would be for text, one for pictures, and one for the shape.

To illustrate this, I made a mockup which also includes an inline style thing (still needs some fine-tuning), a new toolbar which displays the title of the document instead of menus (clicking on this will bring up an interactive menu - still to be designed), two arrows on either side of the title to switch documents.

Notice the space? This is netbook screen size (1024x768). It also works really well on 1024x600, though the context toolbar would need to be a smidge thinner (I plan to do this soon).

I have also attached the GIMP source file for those of you who want to inspect it some more.

Again, feedback is welcome and ENCOURAGED! I would really like to know what you think of Effects so far!

-Martin

Styles.xcf (7M) Download Attachment