Christoph's advocate

Andreas Schuderer
Hi again,

I had a conversation with Christoph Noack, and he remarked a couple of
interesting things about the prototype. As he's quite busy with the
print dialog right now, I'd like to share his comments with the list
in my own words (I hope he doesn't mind).

So here goes:

He said that he didn't understand the ("cheese wheel") yellow circle's
purpose until trying it. Also, its relationship to the view modes in
the status bar doesn't seem coherently integrated yet (cheese wheel =
slide sorter mode?).

In slide sorter mode (zoomed-out), the plus sign doesn't indicate
where something new will happen (below, right, ...). Maybe something
clickable that appears *between* slides on mouseover would be better
(i.e. at the position where the new slide will actually be inserted).

When navigating through the slides, an odd gray arrow that is shown in
the middle of the slide which indicates the direction. What do I need
this for (most times, I know what key I've pressed)? Also, it's sort
of strange that moving to the next slide sometimes shows a right arrow
and sometimes a down arrow, depending on which view I'm navigating in.

Christoph couldn't understand my praise for the maximize/minimize
controls of the slide pane and the speaker notes section. No wonder:
They aren't there on Linux. It seems that they are part of the Mac OS
X specific implementation of some Java UI class. I would welcome them
to OOo 4.0 nevertheless! Here's a screenshot:
http://schuderer.net/pub/prototype-resizecontrols.png

What problem is 3D mode supposed to solve?
[I agree: Coverflow is very nice and beautiful, and can even be
useful, but I see its use case mainly in browsing through largely
unstructured information, when I'm searching for something. I can
neither see added value when navigating to a specific slide as a
creator, nor when consuming/flipping through a presentation as a
reader.]

Those were Christoph's comments. I've paraphrased/translated them to
English, so all the errors are MINE. You can't have them.

Cheers,
Andreas

P.S.: Another comment from myself: Now I suddenly realized what makes
the scrolling toolbar appear so crowded: Not enough SPACE! There's too
little space between the groups of icons (belonging to Start/Insert/
Design/...).

Re: Christoph's advocate

Elizabeth Matthis
Hi Andreas, Hi All,

Thanks for sharing the thoughts from your conversation with Christoph.
Nothing lost in translation as far as I can see, but only Christoph
would really notice. ;-)

I'm glad to see the prototypes are being tested and evaluated. They
change so often, I hope everyone on this list is actively checking them
on a daily basis.

On 07/14/09 22:40, Andreas Schuderer wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I had a conversation with Christoph Noack, and he remarked a couple of
> interesting things about the prototype. As he's quite busy with the
> print dialog right now, I'd like to share his comments with the list
> in my own words (I hope he doesn't mind).
>
> So here goes:
>
> He said that he didn't understand the ("cheese wheel") yellow circle's
> purpose until trying it. Also, its relationship to the view modes in
> the status bar doesn't seem coherently integrated yet (cheese wheel =
> slide sorter mode?).
>
> In slide sorter mode (zoomed-out), the plus sign doesn't indicate
> where something new will happen (below, right, ...). Maybe something
> clickable that appears *between* slides on mouseover would be better
> (i.e. at the position where the new slide will actually be inserted).
>
> When navigating through the slides, an odd gray arrow that is shown in
> the middle of the slide which indicates the direction. What do I need
> this for (most times, I know what key I've pressed)? Also, it's sort
> of strange that moving to the next slide sometimes shows a right arrow
> and sometimes a down arrow, depending on which view I'm navigating in.
>
> Christoph couldn't understand my praise for the maximize/minimize
> controls of the slide pane and the speaker notes section. No wonder:
> They aren't there on Linux. It seems that they are part of the Mac OS
> X specific implementation of some Java UI class. I would welcome them
> to OOo 4.0 nevertheless! Here's a screenshot:
> http://schuderer.net/pub/prototype-resizecontrols.png
>
> What problem is 3D mode supposed to solve?
> [I agree: Coverflow is very nice and beautiful, and can even be
> useful, but I see its use case mainly in browsing through largely
> unstructured information, when I'm searching for something. I can
> neither see added value when navigating to a specific slide as a
> creator, nor when consuming/flipping through a presentation as a reader.]
>
> Those were Christoph's comments. I've paraphrased/translated them to
> English, so all the errors are MINE. You can't have them.
>
> Cheers,
> Andreas
>
> P.S.: Another comment from myself: Now I suddenly realized what makes
> the scrolling toolbar appear so crowded: Not enough SPACE! There's too
> little space between the groups of icons (belonging to
> Start/Insert/Design/...).

Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500

Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel

Re: Christoph's advocate

Bernd Eilers
Andreas Schuderer wrote:
> Hi again,

ReHi!

> I had a conversation with Christoph Noack, and he remarked a couple of
> interesting things about the prototype. As he's quite busy with the
> print dialog right now, I'd like to share his comments with the list in
> my own words (I hope he doesn't mind).
>
> So here goes:
>
> He said that he didn't understand the ("cheese wheel") yellow circle's
> purpose until trying it. Also, its relationship to the view modes in the
> status bar doesn't seem coherently integrated yet (cheese wheel = slide
> sorter mode?).

Correct updating the item in the status bar when the "cheese wheel" is
being used is a feature that is just not yet implemented.

> What problem is 3D mode supposed to solve?

This is just there to collect feedback of wether people would find such
a type of view useful for a presentation program. Obviously Christoph
doesn´t, that´s ok of course too ;-)