Changing font size

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changing font size

LD-3
I find that changing the font size in a Writer document is cumbersome.

We do a Select All and then click on the pull down menu showing the list of font sizes.

If the size we wish to move to is smaller, we have to slide the list upwards, because the topmost showing is the size which is now current.

It would be faster if the list opens up displaying some smaller sizes above the current one.

Thanks for the attention.

  Luigi
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Luigi,

thank you for your mail and your proposal. Indeed, this is a request
since quite a long time [1].

As you may know, Frank recently analyzed the click behavior in Impress
and the separate button for "reduce font size" is used quite often (rank
15, see [2]). So we might propose Frank to include it to the list of UX
issues [3] to be fixed for OOo 3.3.

However, changing the list position is only a solution for some people.
The rank 15 is an absolute number, so if a user wants to reduce the size
from 18 to 12, then he clicks 5 times which get counted individually.
Maybe other people may require different solutions like:
      * Ease the use of Slide Layouts and Styles (excessive usage of
        such a button is usually a sign for manual formatting)
      * "Fit text to frame" functionality
      * ...

If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen. At
the last OOoCon I asked Max (mod) about that, and he told me that it
should be relatively easy to implement such behavior...

Luigi, would that satisfy your requirements?

Bye,
Christoph

[1] http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446
[2] http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/impress_click_map_what_s
[3] http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Analyze


Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2009, 20:02 +0200 schrieb LD:

> I find that changing the font size in a Writer document is cumbersome.
>
> We do a Select All and then click on the pull down menu showing the list of font sizes.
>
> If the size we wish to move to is smaller, we have to slide the list upwards, because the topmost showing is the size which is now current.
>
> It would be faster if the list opens up displaying some smaller sizes above the current one.
>
> Thanks for the attention.
>
>   Luigi


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Xiao XH He

I think the problem Luigi raised not only occurred in Font Size control, but also others like font name, styles...
Furthermore, consider to restore some historical options at the top for handy access.

This is more related to a design pattern that prefer to unify such behaviors, in Louts Symphony we refined the control as redesigned. FYR.

-Frank

Frank He | User Experience Designer, IBM Lotus Symphony | [hidden email]
http://symphony.lotus.com


Christoph Noack ---2009-10-17 05:24:25---Hi Luigi,


From:

Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>

To:

[hidden email]

Date:

2009-10-17 05:24

Subject:

Re: [ux-user interface] Changing font size




Hi Luigi,

thank you for your mail and your proposal. Indeed, this is a request
since quite a long time [1].

As you may know, Frank recently analyzed the click behavior in Impress
and the separate button for "reduce font size" is used quite often (rank
15, see [2]). So we might propose Frank to include it to the list of UX
issues [3] to be fixed for OOo 3.3.

However, changing the list position is only a solution for some people.
The rank 15 is an absolute number, so if a user wants to reduce the size
from 18 to 12, then he clicks 5 times which get counted individually.
Maybe other people may require different solutions like:
     * Ease the use of Slide Layouts and Styles (excessive usage of
       such a button is usually a sign for manual formatting)
     * "Fit text to frame" functionality
     * ...

If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen. At
the last OOoCon I asked Max (mod) about that, and he told me that it
should be relatively easy to implement such behavior...

Luigi, would that satisfy your requirements?

Bye,
Christoph

[1]
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446
[2]
http://blogs.sun.com/GullFOSS/entry/impress_click_map_what_s
[3]
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Renaissance:Analyze


Am Dienstag, den 01.09.2009, 20:02 +0200 schrieb LD:
> I find that changing the font size in a Writer document is cumbersome.
>
> We do a Select All and then click on the pull down menu showing the list of font sizes.
>
> If the size we wish to move to is smaller, we have to slide the list upwards, because the topmost showing is the size which is now current.
>
> It would be faster if the list opens up displaying some smaller sizes above the current one.
>
> Thanks for the attention.
>
>   Luigi


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Alexandro Colorado
In reply to this post by LD-3
Well that is usually how you shouldn't resize the font size. If you
are an openoffice.org user you should know that the way to change the
font size is by using the stylist. So this select and change font from
toolbar shouldnt even exist.

2009/9/1 LD <[hidden email]>:

> I find that changing the font size in a Writer document is cumbersome.
>
> We do a Select All and then click on the pull down menu showing the list of font sizes.
>
> If the size we wish to move to is smaller, we have to slide the list upwards, because the topmost showing is the size which is now current.
>
> It would be faster if the list opens up displaying some smaller sizes above the current one.
>
> Thanks for the attention.
>
>  Luigi



--
Alexandro Colorado
OpenOffice.org Espa&ntilde;ol
IM: [hidden email]

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Stefan Weigel
Hi,

Alexandro Colorado schrieb:
> Well that is usually how you shouldn't resize the font size. If you
> are an openoffice.org user you should know that the way to change the
> font size is by using the stylist. So this select and change font from
> toolbar shouldnt even exist.

Common, be seriuos! Reasonable use of styles does *not* mean that
there is no need for a font size control in the toolbar.

Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Stefan Weigel
In reply to this post by Christoph Noack-4
Hi,

Christoph Noack schrieb:

> As you may know, Frank recently analyzed the click behavior in Impress
> and the separate button for "reduce font size" is used quite often (rank
> 15, see [2]).

> Maybe other people may require different solutions like:
>       * Ease the use of Slide Layouts and Styles (excessive usage of
>         such a button is usually a sign for manual formatting)
>       * "Fit text to frame" functionality
>       * ...

Luigi is talking about Writer. You are talking about Impress.
However, issue 2446 applies to all modules.

> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.

Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
improvements.

Servus,
Stefan

--
www.datenpilot.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size

Irné Barnard
In reply to this post by Alexandro Colorado
Alexandro Colorado wrote:

> Well that is usually how you shouldn't resize the font size. If you
> are an openoffice.org user you should know that the way to change the
> font size is by using the stylist. So this select and change font from
> toolbar shouldnt even exist.
>
> 2009/9/1 LD <[hidden email]>:
>  
>> I find that changing the font size in a Writer document is cumbersome.
>>
>> We do a Select All and then click on the pull down menu showing the list of font sizes.
>>
>> If the size we wish to move to is smaller, we have to slide the list upwards, because the topmost showing is the size which is now current.
>>
>> It would be faster if the list opens up displaying some smaller sizes above the current one.
>>
>> Thanks for the attention.
>>
>> Â Luigi
>>    
A bit tong in cheek ain't it? Simply stating this is not how you're
supposed to do it does not help. The point is most users still don't use
the stylist that much, and even if they do some still use overrides. We
can't alienate users by forcing them to use stylist (even if it's better
for them) ... that's a lot like MS's forcing ribbons onto unsuspecting
long-time users. It may be better, but it makes them feel lost.

Even if the user is using the stylist, this same problem occurs there as
well. Try to change a style's font size from 15pt to 12pt ... you have
to click once to activate the listbox, then scroll up, then click again
to select 12pt. If the 15pt was positioned in the middle of the listbox
then this would have become a simple one click operation. Now the same
applies for the drop-down in the toolbar.

What I'd actually like to see is (similar to the renaissance prototype)
a live preview of font size (or font type) changing as the cursor moves
over the various options. But this needs to happen in stylist more so
than the overrides - seeing as stylist could affect a lot more than only
selected text. BTW, this is how MSO2007 now works for its styles panel
as well as overrides. I'd like to see the same to occur while editing a
style though.
--
Regards Irné Barnard
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Johannes Eva
In reply to this post by Stefan Weigel
Hi everybody!

This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
really reduce the usability of OOo.
This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
particularly Writer.

>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
>
> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further improvements.
Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font size.

Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?

1. Is this bug difficult to correct?

2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this bug?

3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
(weeks, days, hours?)

4. How much Q&A would be involved?

5. More insider knowledge about this issue?

All the best,
Johannes

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Johannes Eva
In reply to this post by Christoph Noack-4
Sorry, here is the link to the mentionned bug:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Elizabeth Matthis
In reply to this post by Johannes Eva
Hi Johannes,

I've sent your questions to a developer, so I'll write again when I get
an answer.

Best,
Liz

On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
> really reduce the usability of OOo.
> This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
> particularly Writer.
>
>>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
>>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
>>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
>>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
>>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
>>
>> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
>> improvements.
> Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
> Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
> size.
>
> Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
>
> 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
>
> 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
> bug?
>
> 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
> (weeks, days, hours?)
>
> 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
>
> 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
>
> All the best,
> Johannes
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Johannes Eva
Elizabeth Matthis wrote:
> Hi Johannes,
>
> I've sent your questions to a developer, so I'll write again when I get
> an answer.
>
> Best,
> Liz

Merci !

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Elizabeth Matthis
In reply to this post by Johannes Eva
Hi All,

I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
impact with developers.

Have a nice day.
Liz

On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
> really reduce the usability of OOo.
> This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
> particularly Writer.
>
>>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
>>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
>>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
>>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
>>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
>>
>> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
>> improvements.
> Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
> Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
> size.
>
> Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
>
> 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
>
> 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
> bug?
>
> 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
> (weeks, days, hours?)
>
> 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
>
> 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
>
> All the best,
> Johannes
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Wolf Frenkel
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Liz,

that is truly great - thank you (and Philip) so much! By the way, I
propose to use position 1/3 to reduce mouse travel and to support the
common use cases. Okay, it is just a rough guess, but from what I can
see in Impress [1], most of the time the font size is increased.

Example (### = highlighted line):
        | 12     |\/|
        +-----------+
        | 10        |
        | 10,5      |
        | 11        |
        |#12########|
        | 13        |
        | 14        |
        | 15        |
        | 16        |
        | 18        |
        | 20        |
        | 12        |
        +-----------+
       
       
Johannes, Liz - thank you both!

Christoph

[1]
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results#Impress_Click_Map


Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 16:44 +0100 schrieb Elizabeth Matthis:

> Hi All,
>
> I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
> impact with developers.
>
> Have a nice day.
> Liz
>
> On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:
> > Hi everybody!
> >
> > This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
> > really reduce the usability of OOo.
> > This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
> > particularly Writer.
> >
> >>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
> >>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
> >>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
> >>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
> >>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
> >>
> >> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
> >> improvements.
> > Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
> > Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
> > size.
> >
> > Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
> >
> > 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
> >
> > 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
> > bug?
> >
> > 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
> > (weeks, days, hours?)
> >
> > 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
> >
> > 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
> >
> > All the best,
> > Johannes
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Jaron Kuppers
Hi Christoph, and everyone else,

I think all this is great, I just have a quick comment.

Perhaps we can get some usage data on font size usage.  With no real support
but based on experience, I would argue that in the example list Christoph
gave, font size 9 should be included.  Size 12 font seems so ubiquitous that
including the ability to go from font size 12 to 9 may be a common enough
occurrence to warrant adding one more "lower than" font on the list.

Cheers,
Jaron



On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> that is truly great - thank you (and Philip) so much! By the way, I
> propose to use position 1/3 to reduce mouse travel and to support the
> common use cases. Okay, it is just a rough guess, but from what I can
> see in Impress [1], most of the time the font size is increased.
>
> Example (### = highlighted line):
>        | 12     |\/|
>        +-----------+
>        | 10        |
>        | 10,5      |
>        | 11        |
>        |#12########|
>        | 13        |
>        | 14        |
>        | 15        |
>        | 16        |
>        | 18        |
>        | 20        |
>        | 12        |
>        +-----------+
>
>
> Johannes, Liz - thank you both!
>
> Christoph
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results#Impress_Click_Map
>
>
> Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 16:44 +0100 schrieb Elizabeth Matthis:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
> > impact with developers.
> >
> > Have a nice day.
> > Liz
> >
> > On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:
> > > Hi everybody!
> > >
> > > This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
> > > really reduce the usability of OOo.
> > > This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
> > > particularly Writer.
> > >
> > >>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think
> about
> > >>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
> > >>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
> > >>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
> > >>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
> > >>
> > >> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
> > >> improvements.
> > > Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
> > > Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
> > > size.
> > >
> > > Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
> > >
> > > 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
> > >
> > > 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
> > > bug?
> > >
> > > 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
> > > (weeks, days, hours?)
> > >
> > > 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
> > >
> > > 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
> > >
> > > All the best,
> > > Johannes
> > >
> > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > >
> >
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Christian Jansen
In reply to this post by Christoph Noack-4
Hi,
please get also rid of the 10,5 entry.

Thanks,
--Christian

Christoph Noack wrote:

> Hi Liz,
>
> that is truly great - thank you (and Philip) so much! By the way, I
> propose to use position 1/3 to reduce mouse travel and to support the
> common use cases. Okay, it is just a rough guess, but from what I can
> see in Impress [1], most of the time the font size is increased.
>
> Example (### = highlighted line):
>         | 12     |\/|
>         +-----------+
>         | 10        |
>         | 10,5      |
>         | 11        |
>         |#12########|
>         | 13        |
>         | 14        |
>         | 15        |
>         | 16        |
>         | 18        |
>         | 20        |
>         | 12        |
>         +-----------+
>        
>        
> Johannes, Liz - thank you both!
>
> Christoph
>
> [1]
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results#Impress_Click_Map
>
>
> Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 16:44 +0100 schrieb Elizabeth Matthis:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
>> impact with developers.
>>
>> Have a nice day.
>> Liz
>>
>> On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:
>>> Hi everybody!
>>>
>>> This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
>>> really reduce the usability of OOo.
>>> This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
>>> particularly Writer.
>>>
>>>>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
>>>>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
>>>>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
>>>>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
>>>>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
>>>> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
>>>> improvements.
>>> Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
>>> Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
>>> size.
>>>
>>> Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
>>>
>>> 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
>>>
>>> 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
>>> bug?
>>>
>>> 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
>>> (weeks, days, hours?)
>>>
>>> 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
>>>
>>> 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
>>>
>>> All the best,
>>> Johannes
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>


--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Christian Jansen
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 884
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Johannes Eva
In reply to this post by Johannes Eva
Hi!

Could someone mark this:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=52897

as a duplicate of our font size issue issue:
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446

Maybe I don't know how to do it, or I don't have the rights to.
Thanks in advance,
Johannes

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Johannes Eva
In reply to this post by Jaron Kuppers
Hi everybody!

do I understand it right, is it probable that this will be fixed for
3.3? Great, really I couldn't be more happy - thanks a lot!



Well, I did hesitate before writing this mail, because it would be great
if it would be simply fixed - (1/3 position or a little higher seems to
be fine, thanks Christoph and Jaron)
So fix it simply would be great. However...



... I have always wondered why this drop down menu is so small: it shows
only 11 elements by default.

I tested it in 640x480 resolution, and there would be confortable space
for 8 elements more. At 800x600, twice so much.

Would it be possible to make the drop down menu show more elements? Even
at very small screen resolutions it would be possible.


1. The size of the font name drop down menu is bigger that the font size
drop down menu. Still, it is perfectly usable in 640x480. Why not make
the font size at least as big as the font name dropdown?
(By the way, I always thought that the font name selector is also too small)

2. In Office 2007, the menu shows 16 elements by default. But... there
ARE only 16 elements in the menu, from size 8 to 72! This design choice
makes the "live preview" of the font size very easy.
(OOo has 30 elements from size 6 to 96)
The size of the dropdown box can be changed by a handle. Make it bigger
is useless, as it doesn't show more elements.
http://www.johannes-eva.net/divers/Office2007fontsize.png

3. Couldn't test Apple's suite, but I think the dropdown menus expand on
the whole window, showing as much possibilities as they can.

4. In MS Office 2002: 17 total elements in the menu, sizes from 8 to 72.
12 of them are displayed by default.


Conclusion:
___________

Correct me if I'm wrong - I think there are about 3 possibilities:

I. Simply correct the bug and display the current font size at about 40%
in the current drop down selector.

II. Make the dropdown show 6 to 8 more entries, AND display the current
font size at about 40%.

III. Make the dropdown show 6 to 8 more entries, clean up some "unused"
sizes out of the list, display the current font size at about 40%.

___________


For the more zealous dreamers, there is a bonus: if there is a consensus
about the minimal screen resolution in OOo being 600 pixels height, make
the font name selector also show more entries. But that's another story.


Sorry for going so much into details... forget about it if you want!
Johannes


Summary: Font size selection in the middle, or 25-35%
http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446


Jaron Kuppers wrote:

> Hi Christoph, and everyone else,
>
> I think all this is great, I just have a quick comment.
>
> Perhaps we can get some usage data on font size usage.  With no real support
> but based on experience, I would argue that in the example list Christoph
> gave, font size 9 should be included.  Size 12 font seems so ubiquitous that
> including the ability to go from font size 12 to 9 may be a common enough
> occurrence to warrant adding one more "lower than" font on the list.
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron
>
>
>
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 4:12 PM, Christoph Noack <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hi Liz,
>>
>> that is truly great - thank you (and Philip) so much! By the way, I
>> propose to use position 1/3 to reduce mouse travel and to support the
>> common use cases. Okay, it is just a rough guess, but from what I can
>> see in Impress [1], most of the time the font size is increased.
>>
>> Example (### = highlighted line):
>>        | 12     |\/|
>>        +-----------+
>>        | 10        |
>>        | 10,5      |
>>        | 11        |
>>        |#12########|
>>        | 13        |
>>        | 14        |
>>        | 15        |
>>        | 16        |
>>        | 18        |
>>        | 20        |
>>        | 12        |
>>        +-----------+
>>
>>
>> Johannes, Liz - thank you both!
>>
>> Christoph
>>
>> [1]
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results#Impress_Click_Map
>>
>>
>> Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 16:44 +0100 schrieb Elizabeth Matthis:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
>>> impact with developers.
>>>
>>> Have a nice day.
>>> Liz
>>>
>>> On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:
>>>> Hi everybody!
>>>>
>>>> This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
>>>> really reduce the usability of OOo.
>>>> This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
>>>> particularly Writer.
>>>>
>>>>>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think
>> about
>>>>>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
>>>>>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
>>>>>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
>>>>>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
>>>>> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
>>>>> improvements.
>>>> Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
>>>> Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
>>>> size.
>>>>
>>>> Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
>>>>
>>>> 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
>>>>
>>>> 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
>>>> bug?
>>>>
>>>> 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
>>>> (weeks, days, hours?)
>>>>
>>>> 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
>>>>
>>>> 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
>>>>
>>>> All the best,
>>>> Johannes
>>>>
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
>>
>>
>


--


____________________________

Johannes Eva

Kölnische Straße 166
34119 Kassel
Deutschland
+49 (0)151 55 60 83 95

87, place du château
67430 Lorentzen
France
+33 (0)3 88 00 80 74

[hidden email]
http://www.johannes-eva.net/
____________________________


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Cor Nouws
In reply to this post by Johannes Eva
Hi Johannes,

Johannes Eva wrote (11-11-2009 12:16)
> Could someone mark this:
> http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=52897
>
> as a duplicate of our font size issue issue:
> http://www.openoffice.org/issues/show_bug.cgi?id=2446
>
> Maybe I don't know how to do it, or I don't have the rights to.
> Thanks in advance,

Done - thanks for the hint,
Cor

--
Cor Nouws
   - nl.OpenOffice.org marketing contact
   - Community Contributor Representative in the Community Council
Gevoel niet vrij te zijn? Zie www.nieuwsteversie.nl

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Christoph Noack-4
In reply to this post by Christian Jansen
Hi Christian,

so nice to know that you - at least occasionally - read the list. A
really huge :-)

Personally, I never used the 10,5 entry. So, do you know why it has been
introduced?

And, did anybody of you all ever really required the 10,5 entry?

Bye,
Christoph

Am Mittwoch, den 11.11.2009, 10:53 +0100 schrieb Christian Jansen:

> Hi,
> please get also rid of the 10,5 entry.
>
> Thanks,
> --Christian
>
> Christoph Noack wrote:
> > Hi Liz,
> >
> > that is truly great - thank you (and Philip) so much! By the way, I
> > propose to use position 1/3 to reduce mouse travel and to support the
> > common use cases. Okay, it is just a rough guess, but from what I can
> > see in Impress [1], most of the time the font size is increased.
> >
> > Example (### = highlighted line):
> >         | 12     |\/|
> >         +-----------+
> >         | 10        |
> >         | 10,5      |
> >         | 11        |
> >         |#12########|
> >         | 13        |
> >         | 14        |
> >         | 15        |
> >         | 16        |
> >         | 18        |
> >         | 20        |
> >         | 12        |
> >         +-----------+
> >        
> >        
> > Johannes, Liz - thank you both!
> >
> > Christoph
> >
> > [1]
> > http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Tracking_results#Impress_Click_Map
> >
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 10.11.2009, 16:44 +0100 schrieb Elizabeth Matthis:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I retargeted and reassigned issue 2446 after discussing the effort and
> >> impact with developers.
> >>
> >> Have a nice day.
> >> Liz
> >>
> >> On 11/09/09 16:48, Johannes Eva wrote:
> >>> Hi everybody!
> >>>
> >>> This "changing the font size" issue belongs to the small things that
> >>> really reduce the usability of OOo.
> >>> This issue in particular makes me crazy each time I use OOo,
> >>> particularly Writer.
> >>>
> >>>>> If we propose 2446 to be fixed in OOo 3.3, we should really think about
> >>>>> a live-preview of the font size and font type. Many people
> >>>>> increase/decrease the font size until it fits into a given space.
> >>>>> Providing a font size list without providing additional feedback will
> >>>>> not help those, who want to know how it will look like on the screen.
> >>>> Why not fix 2446 anyway and fast? That wouldn´t block further
> >>>> improvements.
> >>> Thanks Stefan. I totally share your opinion.
> >>> Why not fix it? It has nothing to do with a "live preview" of the font
> >>> size.
> >>>
> >>> Is there anyone here who knows more about this issue?
> >>>
> >>> 1. Is this bug difficult to correct?
> >>>
> >>> 2. What experience should a programmer/developer have to correct this
> >>> bug?
> >>>
> >>> 3. How time consuming would it be to correct this bug?
> >>> (weeks, days, hours?)
> >>>
> >>> 4. How much Q&A would be involved?
> >>>
> >>> 5. More insider knowledge about this issue?
> >>>
> >>> All the best,
> >>> Johannes
> >>>
> >>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> >>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >>> For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >>>
> >
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
> > For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]
> >
>
>


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Changing font size - Is it difficult?

Regina Henschel
Hi Christoph,

Christoph Noack schrieb:

> Hi Christian,
>
> so nice to know that you - at least occasionally - read the list. A
> really huge :-)
>
> Personally, I never used the 10,5 entry. So, do you know why it has been
> introduced?
>
> And, did anybody of you all ever really required the 10,5 entry?
>

Yes, I have used the entry sometimes. And I also use 11,5pt or whatever
I need. If it will be still possible to use an arbitrary entry by
entering the value manually, I will not miss it.

But remember, that reducing the size a little bit is often used to fit a
text to one sheet of paper and users who are not familiar with entering
values directly, might miss the entry. On the other hand MS Word 2007
does not offer this value in its drop-down list.

kind regards
Regina

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]

12