Better Touchscreen support

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Better Touchscreen support

Miguel Garrido
You have got a bright start and here are my two cents:

Touchscreen is here and will cope market soon, better support for
touchscreen in the interface should be considered. Perhaps a quarter circle
button (a la kde-plasma-desktop button) for menus with concentric sub-menus,
bigger widgets and fonts, forget button bars if you can, (I really think
everything should be contextual - touch your screen and a related circle of
buttons appear with concentric submenus for other less related options,
things are just where you need it and you also get plenty of screen space
for your work in progress - ), and other finger-oriented modifications to
the interface.

These changes will also help to mouse oriented navigation and give an
overall feelling of freshness. They will also prepare OpenOffice.org to take
the fast growing cell/UMPC market by assault.

May be I am out of focus, but, you know, this is a hard to forget recurring
idea...

Also I am really bad expressing my own ideas, worst if you consider that I'm
not a native english speaker.

Kind regards and sorry if I'm wasting your time.

Miguel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Better Touchscreen support

Mathias Michel
Hi Miguel

2009/1/7 Miguel Garrido <[hidden email]>

> You have got a bright start and here are my two cents:
>
> Touchscreen is here and will cope market soon, better support for
> touchscreen in the interface should be considered. Perhaps a quarter circle
> button (a la kde-plasma-desktop button) for menus with concentric
> sub-menus,
> bigger widgets and fonts, forget button bars if you can, (I really think
> everything should be contextual - touch your screen and a related circle of
> buttons appear with concentric submenus for other less related options,
> things are just where you need it and you also get plenty of screen space
> for your work in progress - ), and other finger-oriented modifications to
> the interface.
>
> These changes will also help to mouse oriented navigation and give an
> overall feelling of freshness. They will also prepare OpenOffice.org to
> take
> the fast growing cell/UMPC market by assault.
>
> May be I am out of focus, but, you know, this is a hard to forget recurring
> idea...
>
> Also I am really bad expressing my own ideas, worst if you consider that
> I'm
> not a native english speaker.
>
> Kind regards and sorry if I'm wasting your time.
>
> Miguel
>

Owning a TabletPC, I must add my voice.
I don't know if this should be set natively or could be another interface
developed on top of UNO or Renaissance, though.

Regards

--
Mathias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Better Touchscreen support

Jaron Kuppers
I am not familiar with Tablet or touchscreen PCs so I can't be of much
help.  I did have a question though; I thought Touchscreen PCs used a
different operating system (or a separate version) than their non-touch
counterparts.  If this is true then what native tools are available in those
OSes that could be used when designing the interface?

On a separate note, we may consider adding a question regarding use of touch
screens in our next survey, perhaps embedded within the OS question.  I
wouldn't predict that many users use touchscreen PCs yet.

Cheers,
Jaron



On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Mathias Michel <[hidden email]>wrote:

> Hi Miguel
>
> 2009/1/7 Miguel Garrido <[hidden email]>
>
> > You have got a bright start and here are my two cents:
> >
> > Touchscreen is here and will cope market soon, better support for
> > touchscreen in the interface should be considered. Perhaps a quarter
> circle
> > button (a la kde-plasma-desktop button) for menus with concentric
> > sub-menus,
> > bigger widgets and fonts, forget button bars if you can, (I really think
> > everything should be contextual - touch your screen and a related circle
> of
> > buttons appear with concentric submenus for other less related options,
> > things are just where you need it and you also get plenty of screen space
> > for your work in progress - ), and other finger-oriented modifications to
> > the interface.
> >
> > These changes will also help to mouse oriented navigation and give an
> > overall feelling of freshness. They will also prepare OpenOffice.org to
> > take
> > the fast growing cell/UMPC market by assault.
> >
> > May be I am out of focus, but, you know, this is a hard to forget
> recurring
> > idea...
> >
> > Also I am really bad expressing my own ideas, worst if you consider that
> > I'm
> > not a native english speaker.
> >
> > Kind regards and sorry if I'm wasting your time.
> >
> > Miguel
> >
>
> Owning a TabletPC, I must add my voice.
> I don't know if this should be set natively or could be another interface
> developed on top of UNO or Renaissance, though.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Mathias
>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Better Touchscreen support

Mathias Michel
Hi Jaron

2009/1/8 Jaron Kuppers <[hidden email]>

> I am not familiar with Tablet or touchscreen PCs so I can't be of much
> help.  I did have a question though; I thought Touchscreen PCs used a
> different operating system (or a separate version) than their non-touch
> counterparts.  If this is true then what native tools are available in
> those
> OSes that could be used when designing the interface?
>
Windows uses a special module in Vista,  something like the media center. It
mainly provides tools to convert writing on the screen into a serie of
characters. Talking about interface, It reacts more like a mouse, but with
no scroll, no right-click.

> On a separate note, we may consider adding a question regarding use of
> touch
> screens in our next survey, perhaps embedded within the OS question.  I
> wouldn't predict that many users use touchscreen PCs yet.

Neither I.
But it's a target to remember (OOo on an iPhone ? :-)
Mathias
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Better Touchscreen support

Elizabeth Matthis
In reply to this post by Jaron Kuppers
Hi Miguel,
What an innovative idea! Thanks for writing to the mailing list. And,
no, your English is not so bad! We can understand you so don't hesitate
to be active on the mailing lists.

Hi Jaron,
I'll make a note of your idea for a question in one of the surveys.
You're always so creative!

Have a nice weekend, everyone.
Liz

On 08.01.09 22:02, Jaron Kuppers wrote:

> I am not familiar with Tablet or touchscreen PCs so I can't be of much
> help.  I did have a question though; I thought Touchscreen PCs used a
> different operating system (or a separate version) than their non-touch
> counterparts.  If this is true then what native tools are available in those
> OSes that could be used when designing the interface?
>
> On a separate note, we may consider adding a question regarding use of touch
> screens in our next survey, perhaps embedded within the OS question.  I
> wouldn't predict that many users use touchscreen PCs yet.
>
> Cheers,
> Jaron
>
>
>
> On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Mathias Michel <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>  
>> Hi Miguel
>>
>> 2009/1/7 Miguel Garrido <[hidden email]>
>>
>>    
>>> You have got a bright start and here are my two cents:
>>>
>>> Touchscreen is here and will cope market soon, better support for
>>> touchscreen in the interface should be considered. Perhaps a quarter
>>>      
>> circle
>>    
>>> button (a la kde-plasma-desktop button) for menus with concentric
>>> sub-menus,
>>> bigger widgets and fonts, forget button bars if you can, (I really think
>>> everything should be contextual - touch your screen and a related circle
>>>      
>> of
>>    
>>> buttons appear with concentric submenus for other less related options,
>>> things are just where you need it and you also get plenty of screen space
>>> for your work in progress - ), and other finger-oriented modifications to
>>> the interface.
>>>
>>> These changes will also help to mouse oriented navigation and give an
>>> overall feelling of freshness. They will also prepare OpenOffice.org to
>>> take
>>> the fast growing cell/UMPC market by assault.
>>>
>>> May be I am out of focus, but, you know, this is a hard to forget
>>>      
>> recurring
>>    
>>> idea...
>>>
>>> Also I am really bad expressing my own ideas, worst if you consider that
>>> I'm
>>> not a native english speaker.
>>>
>>> Kind regards and sorry if I'm wasting your time.
>>>
>>> Miguel
>>>
>>>      
>> Owning a TabletPC, I must add my voice.
>> I don't know if this should be set natively or could be another interface
>> developed on top of UNO or Renaissance, though.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> --
>> Mathias
>>
>>    
>
>  

--
Sun Microsystems GmbH                Elizabeth Matthis
Nagelsweg 55                         User Experience Engineer
20097 Hamburg                        Phone: (+49 40)23646 500
Germany                              Fax:   (+49 40)23646 550
http://www.sun.com                   mailto:[hidden email]

Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [hidden email]
For additional commands, e-mail: [hidden email]