2-sided printing

Mike Brady

Printers that don't have physical 2-side printing attachments can do it if
the print job is properly ordered. Since the printing system will now (in
OO 3.3+) by "pulling" data, it should be trivial to send the pages to the
printer in the right order (say, even in reversed order, then odd in normal
order).  Some printer drivers do that for you, but not in Windows 7 for
older printers that have to use a generic driver.  Add as a print option?

Michael Brady
California Department of Transportation
DOTP-ORIP
Air Quality/Conformity Coordinator
Phone:  (916) 653-0158
Fax:  (916) 653-1447
Cell:  (916) 804-2747

Re: 2-sided printing

Christoph Noack-4
Hi Mike,

thanks for your mail (and the very well described rationale)!

As far as I know, nothing similar is planned at the moment - but I also
didn't find any issue (quick search) requesting such manual duplex
printing. From my personal experience, it is still hard to decide how to
balance the features between the system (including printer driver) and
additional software. Same here :-) But this might also be a question to
the development.

However, I felt free to add your mail text to the Idea Collection wiki
page. The link to your mail isn't working yet, it seems that our web
service requires a bit more time ...

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Printerpullpages/Idea_Collection

As an intermediate solution - maybe there is a software that can print
PDF and provide manual duplex printing?

Am Donnerstag, den 04.11.2010, 13:02 -0700 schrieb Mike Brady:

> Printers that don't have physical 2-side printing attachments can do
> it if
> the print job is properly ordered. Since the printing system will now
> (in
> OO 3.3+) by "pulling" data, it should be trivial to send the pages to
> the
> printer in the right order (say, even in reversed order, then odd in
> normal
> order).  Some printer drivers do that for you, but not in Windows 7
> for
> older printers that have to use a generic driver.  Add as a print
> option?

Re: 2-sided printing

Regina Henschel
Hi Mike,

Mike Brady schrieb:

> Printers that don't have physical 2-side printing attachments can do it if
> the print job is properly ordered.

You need "even page" and "odd page". That is on the tab "Page layout".
Depending on the way the printer put the output sheets, you need
"reverse order" in addition. That is on the tab "Options".

  Since the printing system will now (in
> OO 3.3+) by "pulling" data, it should be trivial to send the pages to the
> printer in the right order (say, even in reversed order, then odd in normal
> order).

That had been available in the old dialog as well.

   Some printer drivers do that for you, but not in Windows 7 for
> older printers that have to use a generic driver.  Add as a print option?

All needed settings are available for a manually duplex print. Or do I
misunderstand you?

Kind regards
Regina